New to Jeeps,, Need T-case Help/Advice - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
fresh fish

New to Jeeps,, Need T-case Help/Advice

Hello, I'll try to keep this short. Bought a 2004 Grand Cherokee with blown 4.0L., automatic and a 247 T-case Then bought another 2004 with a good motor, automatic and a 242 T-case. Pulled the good motor and now am ready to install into my "good" Cherokee and was/am planning to use it's engine harness.

But this harness has a pigtail that runs down to the trans for a indicator switch on the T-case,,the original 247 T-case that I will be using does not have this switch. All 3 plugs on this pigtail that go to the trans are ok, it's just this 4th one that is not on my original 247 T-case. Is this an issue? It seems this switch is simply for an indicator lamp of some sort that the donor jeep had so I'm thinking I can just not use it and zip tie this connector out of the way.

Sorry if this explanation is a bit confusing, but I'm hoping you all understand.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 07:09 AM
007matman

Why don't you just put the 242 in there? Most folks prefer the ability to shift in and out of 4WD. You'll also get better fuel economy.

With that said, this is a common swap (going from the 247 to the 242). I would think someone here will have some additional insight for you if you really want to do that change.

If it were me I'd keep the 242.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
fresh fish

Yeah I've been reading some things about that swap,, but i honestly just wanted to do a quick engine swap and not mess with anything else. This jeep is for my daughter and she would be better off with the 247 case and not have to worry or think about shifting into or out of 4wd manually.

post #4 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 08:24 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Are both of these engines 4.0l? Why do you need to swap the wiring harness? I would think you could just leave the harness and drop the other engine in and plug and play...

There is a good chance that connector is just for the 4x4 mode light on the dash, and if thats the case just zip tie it up like you planned. Just teach her to use the indicator next to the shifter if she ever takes it out of Fulltime 4x4.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #5 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
fresh fish

In regard to the harness,, yes I could use the original harness from the good jeep,, and i will if i have to. But before I realized this potential issue, I cleaned up the donor motor, degreased it, installed a few new seals, gaskets, etc. and also repaired any tape and/or convulte on the donor harness, and it looks like new, it's all plugged in, draped over the engine ready to be installed.

if I have to use the original harness, it's not the end of the world,, I'll just have to go through it and clean it up. I'm just kind of pissed that i spent 2 or 3 hours cleaning up the donor harness if i can't use it.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 09:10 AM
007matman

Lots of guys remove the 247 and install a 242 (which has the extra connection you're talking about) and they do not swap the wiring harness.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the extra connection isn't needed. However, there are lots of folks in the forum. Someone will chime in.

I'm gonna bet it's for the 4x4 indicator on the dash too.

post #7 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 10:17 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
My 247 didn't have anything plugged into it and I didn't bother even looking for the harness if it existed in the first place when I swapped the 242 in. From a functional standpoint the T case is 100% mechanical and has no sensors other than to turn on a light on the dash. If that's important to you use the correct harness if not proceed as planned is my two cents.
Bigrigr likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 10:51 AM
007matman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuthWJ77 View Post
My 247 didn't have anything plugged into it and I didn't bother even looking for the harness if it existed in the first place when I swapped the 242 in. From a functional standpoint the T case is 100% mechanical and has no sensors other than to turn on a light on the dash. If that's important to you use the correct harness if not proceed as planned is my two cents.
From what I understand, his Jeep had the 247 in it to begin with. However, he's using the wire loom from the donor Jeep which had a 242 in it. That's why he has the extra wire.

I think this confirms what he wants to know though..

post #9 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
fresh fish

Correct, I want to use the donor harness along with the donor engine,, even thought the donor had a 242. So by the looks of all the responses, I should have no issue. Along with some other research I've been doing today, I think I'm in the clear.

Thanks to all
007matman likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 03:51 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
From what I understand, his Jeep had the 247 in it to begin with. However, he's using the wire loom from the donor Jeep which had a 242 in it. That's why he has the extra wire.

I think this confirms what he wants to know though..

Gotcha. Should definitely swap the t case then too and have the 242. I wouldn't use that 247 if you have a good 242 ready to go on.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 04:53 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
He mentioned earlier that he wanted to keep the 247 for his daughter to drive. I get it, if he was driving it himself, it would be different. But the young ones we want safe first. But hold onto that 242 and rear driveline if you have any thoughts about driving it yourself, or wheeling it someday.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #12 of 21 Old 02-26-2020, 06:55 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
242 has the 4H full time option leave it there all winter go back to 2H in the summer?? Just a thought the 247 sucks *** I'd be bummed bolting that thing back in personally but I understand the thought process too.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-27-2020, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
fresh fish

Again, thanks to everyone for the info. I do understand the 242 would be the way to go if I were driving it, but for the daughter, I think the 247 will do fine. And it looks like my son now wants to keep the donor vehicle (I was gonna scrap it), so he can have the 242 so he and his buddies can go nuts off road,, after he replaces the broken crankshaft.

While I got you all here,, I don't know the official name, but I need a gas tank skid plate/hanger. I see them here and there but very expensive. Any ideas??

Thanks
post #14 of 21 Old 02-27-2020, 06:47 AM
Waterluvr
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh fish View Post
Again, thanks to everyone for the info. I do understand the 242 would be the way to go if I were driving it, but for the daughter, I think the 247 will do fine. And it looks like my son now wants to keep the donor vehicle (I was gonna scrap it), so he can have the 242 so he and his buddies can go nuts off road,, after he replaces the broken crankshaft.

While I got you all here,, I don't know the official name, but I need a gas tank skid plate/hanger. I see them here and there but very expensive. Any ideas??

Thanks
Walk local salvage yards and find the wrecks from Southern and Western states about the only way to find a deal on a good one anything from the rust belt will be unusable.

For your original question regarding the mystery wires to the T-Case that's the indicator circuit that illuminates the 4 Part Time lamp on the 242.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-27-2020, 08:27 AM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterluvr View Post
that's the indicator circuit that illuminates the 4 Part Time lamp on the 242.

And unfortunately that's ALL it does. It doesn't give you any other indicators like a XJ used to - "full time" for instance.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NP242
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in