3Likes
  • 1 Post By unca waldo
  • 1 Post By RevScott
  • 1 Post By GmanWJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-18-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
unca waldo

New to the forum, not new to Jeep.

Hello, happy to be here and hope to be helpful to folks.

I've owned Jeeps in the past, ranging from a flat fendered conglomeration of bits and pieces sdcrewed together, back when I was in high school (in the '60's), to a most recent 2002 Liberty Limited, which was unfortunately totalled. I'd like to find and restore an older Jeep... '50' to '60's... but that's for a later time.

The reason I'm posting up now, is that my son-in-law, just inherited a 2000 Grand Cherokee with the V-8 engine, from his grand father. The engine was rebuilt sometime within the last 3 years and seems to run Okay... with the exception that, it pumps out what I thought at first was smoke, but turns out, was steam... a lot of it.

Grandpa, who bought it new, told him it always ran "hot-ish" on the gauge, but never got into the red or overheated, even when pulling a travel trailer theough the Sierras.

My thoughts are, the problem is either a head gasket or cracked head. BTW, the coolant level drops quickly.

Not being particularly familiar with this engine, I thought I'd ask if these are prone to either head gasket failures, or worse, broken heads.

Other than this "minor" issue, it's a beautiful ride... with virtually every bell and whistle conceivable in 2000.

In my mind, it's worth repairing and driving for another 100,000+ miles.

Any comment, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IturrGuate1975 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-18-2019, 09:46 PM
RevScott

even if it means swapping the engine its worth it. The one thing thats ringing bells and sounding sirens is the part about pulling a travel trailer through the sierras... If that 8 is one of the smaller engines such as the 4.7 or 5.2, I'd look for an engine from a low milage wreck in a boneyard. These Engines are not noted for the ability to pull large trailers in the mountains, and I'd seriously worry about more wear than just a cracked head. You have already answered your own question by stating that it uses coolant rather rapidly. It really shouldnt be using any coolant as this is a closed system. Ive been Driving Cherokees and Grand Cherokees since the late seventies, the only time they are worth giving up on is when the body is falling off AND the engine is dead... but I might be biased.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-18-2019, 10:42 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you.
Like any motor, if you work it hard and get it too hot then it has a tendency to blow a head gasket. The 4.7 might be a bit more touchy on this point, but of more concern is that they also have a habit of dropping valve seats once they have gotten that hot.
Your motor has been rebuilt so it's possible that your valve seats have been pinned to keep them from dropping. Can't really know for sure though unless grampa can shed light there.
Your coolant usage is pretty solid evidence that you have a bad head gasket. Needs to be addressed.
I am currently getting first-hand experience using my 02 to haul a small camper through the mountains in California. I think the 4.7 does a fine job pulling my trailer, but it is hard work. Pretty sure a rebuild is coming in the near future due to some blue smoke I have seen a couple times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift

post #4 of 5 Old 11-20-2019, 05:09 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The 4.7 is not a very reliable engine and has it's problems. I had a 4.7L once......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #5 of 5 Old 12-20-2019, 04:01 AM
RevScott

On the contrary, the 4.7 Is very reliable IF properly maintained and not abused. You just need to keep in mind that it is a small to mid sized engine and not an eight cylinder work horse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in