New engine, won't idle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-11-2020, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
SmokeyHill

New engine, won't idle

I blew the engine in my '99 GC. It's a 4.0L. I ordered a new long block and just finished installing it today. It starts if I give it gentle gas pedal, but will not idle. Strangely, the CEL is on, but my OBDII reader says no codes. The battery has been disconnected since mid June when I screwed the engine.
Replaced:
Long block
IAC
TPS
Crank PS
Cam PS with new synchronizer
Temp sensor
TPS
water pump
radiator
Oil pressure sending unit
all hoses
air filter
plugs
oil pump
oil pan

Probably a few other thing I can't remember.

One thing I have to mention. It has the California exhaust with dual cats off the dual exhaust manifolds. I'm not certain I have the post cat O2 sensors plugged into the correct plugs. In other words, they may be reversed. The pre cat O2's are correct.

Is this just a matter of the ECM learning the new engine? And by new, I mean brand new long block.
I double checked all vac lines and electrical connections. I'll put a vac gauge on it tomorrow.

That CEL with no codes is puzzling. No codes pending, but a few in completes.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-12-2020, 01:44 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I have seen several of these machines with similar issues after they have been parked for an extended period of time. The battery usually runs down dead, and the PCM loses all of its parameters in memory. I have been told that the trick to get them running again is to hold the idle up manually for 6-10mins to get the memory to reset. Give this a try.....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #3 of 3 Old 07-12-2020, 03:36 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

the CEL is on so I would suspect codes, might be the code reader is basic, read inexpensive. Have yu tried the key on off trick to check codes?

It will start and run if you feather the throttle, have you tried this for a few minutes to help relearn? Should omly take a few moments to relearn - as mentioned above.

The o2 sensors won't play into start or cold running - we can straighten the wiring out later if just switched bank 1 to bank 2 .

Also with jeep and idle issues the IAC is kneejerk suspect, be sure its clean.

Doyou have a vacuum gauge?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in