Need some help please, 2001 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-27-2020, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
01978CJ5

Need some help please, 2001 Grand Cherokee

This is for my neighbor. I'm a pretty descent mechanic, but haven't worked on a grand cherokee before. She was driving down the highway when she lost a driveshaft strap and then you know the rest. ripped out the brake line on the way out. I've been trying to find parts. It needs the front axle pinion yoke, but noticed there a lot of them to choose from. How do you know what size splines and axle that you have? It also needs the slip yoke on the driveshaft, thinking it would be better to just buy a whole used front driveshaft in case it damaged the current shaft, thoughts?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Attached Thumbnails
yoke.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-27-2020, 07:59 AM
007matman

The front is a Dana 30. I'm guessing it has the 4.0 I-6 and the 242 TC, correct? Look inside at the 4wd shifter. If it has the option for 2WD as well as 4WD, it's a 242.

Is the yoke actually damaged? It's clear that the u-joints failed. What does the DS look like? If the yoke is not bent on the axle I wouldn't replace or remove it (as long as it's not leaking). Try removing the straps and let us know what you find.

The yoke isn't impossible to replace. However, I'm guessing you'll get stuck replacing the seal too if you remove it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 02-27-2020, 08:23 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

As mentioned we need to determine which Transfer case you have -
go to link and a fast look will get you answers
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm

I believe the junk yard will be best suited for finding the components -
don't throw anything away.

Post a picture of drive shaft and MAYBE we can get some more info to you.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-27-2020, 09:00 AM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

First, she may not actually need 4wd and if there's a tight budget, I'd stop right there. The WJ will be fine to run indefinitely without the front shaft.

Having said that, I agree that the yoke may not actually be damaged. If it is, then before you pull the yoke off, mark the position of the nut relative to the shaft it's torqued down on and tighten back to the same spot. Unless the budget is really tight, you may want to consider replacing the seal behind it while you have it off. You can hold the yoke in place with a big pipe wrench and then torque it off with the other arm. That's kind of rusty so squirt it with a penetrating oil first. I was able to get that nut off with a socket and breaker bar.

Most guys just replace the entire shaft with one from the junk yard rather than try to piece one together by sourcing a slip yoke but that can be done.

If you do want to repair it, then the parts you need depend on what you have and there are a few options. Give more info. - size of the engine and which transfer case it has.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NP242
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #5 of 8 Old 02-27-2020, 01:20 PM
ParkerStovall42

Just pull a replacement from the junkyard.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-27-2020, 01:28 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99wjtx View Post
First, she may not actually need 4wd and if there's a tight budget, I'd stop right there. The WJ will be fine to run indefinitely without the front shaft.

Having said that, I agree that the yoke may not actually be damaged. If it is, then before you pull the yoke off, mark the position of the nut relative to the shaft it's torqued down on and tighten back to the same spot. Unless the budget is really tight, you may want to consider replacing the seal behind it while you have it off. You can hold the yoke in place with a big pipe wrench and then torque it off with the other arm. That's kind of rusty so squirt it with a penetrating oil first. I was able to get that nut off with a socket and breaker bar.

Most guys just replace the entire shaft with one from the junk yard rather than try to piece one together by sourcing a slip yoke but that can be done.

If you do want to repair it, then the parts you need depend on what you have and there are a few options. Give more info. - size of the engine and which transfer case it has.
Not running the front DS on with a 247 t case wouldn't be good for it I don't think. 247 sucks probably not enough reason to rush to rebuild everything if it's not in the budget but thought it was worth a mention should she have this t case, and it's currently in working condition so a decision can be made with all the info.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-27-2020, 03:29 PM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

I don't know for *certain* but running the 247 without the front shaft has been discussed about 100 times here in the forum over the years and I've done it for thousands of miles without any problems. From what I gathered, the consensus seems to be that it won't hurt it due to the kind of coupler it has. I don't know if a Chrysler/New Venture engineer ever gave an official word one way or the other but there are or were professional Mopar techs posting here and I never saw someone with those credentials poo-poo the idea.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NP242
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #8 of 8 Old 02-28-2020, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
01978CJ5

Thank you all for your input. I pulled the vin and ran it. The problem I was running into was that it seemed like most of them had the cv joints and not the u-joints. It is the Dana 30 and I found a used driveshaft and yoke on ebay. The shaft was only $119 and the yoke was only $19. Might not need the yoke, but would rather have it just in case. The reason I think it needs one is because if you look in the pics, it looks like when the driveshaft came loose, it took out some of the metal on the yoke where the straps hold the u-joint in. I also thought of just repairing the brakes and telling her just to drive it, but with it all the time 4wd I didn't feel that would be good on it. Going to start this project this weekend, hopefully no problems, but if there are I know where to go. Again thank you for the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in