Need to know if this is over-priced ? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-07-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
DnA24

Need to know if this is over-priced ?

Please excuse my ignorance as I'm not knowledgeable on vehicles / Jeeps at all!

I'm needing a new vehicle as our 2000 GMC Jimmy just has too many cosmetic issues, no lift and a lack of towing capacity for what I'm wanting.
I'm looking for a long term daily driver that I can take on a 400mi round trip once a year. That trip includes towing a very small camper over a steep mountain incline at high elevation, mostly highway driving, then ending up on a 10mi or so rough and bouncy dirt/rock road while. I was told that whatever vehicle I do wind up getting, it'll need air bags added and some sort of additional oil coolant system (no idea how much these additions will cost?)

The vehicle I'm looking at is a
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
4'' lift
33" tires
New roof rack
New fender flares
Aftermarket stereo
147,200 miles
4.7L V8
Interior and exterior look really nice.
They're asking $5300.

I checked on KB for an estimated value and it says between $2-4k. The only thing not accounted for was the lift and fender flares... Is this over-priced or worth it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-07-2019, 06:26 AM
007matman

Here is my thoughts..

Lowish miles. Not bad.. lower than most.

Lifted.. you don't know who did it, their competency level, etc. A lifted WJ can be very capable of driving you anywhere or nuts chasing down death wobble or other suspension issues if it wasn't done right.

I'd probably be somewhere closer to mid-to upper $3's to low $4k (at the very most).

I sold my '02 4.0 Laredo to my son last year. 180k on body, 50k on engine, not a spot of rust, 4" lifted right and I've fixed most of the odds and ends with what comes with a vehicle with almost 200k on it now. My sale price was $4500. It was fair.. I probably could have gotten a bit more out of someone on the street but I wanted to keep it in the family.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 12-07-2019, 07:00 AM
007matman

Fender flares are mostly cosmetic.. just like wheels. When you're looking at a vehicle like that they usually don't add much (if any) value.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 15 Old 12-07-2019, 09:00 AM
smokeyyank

Pass, any aftermarket mod techincially decreases the value of a vehicle. Its really only worth it to whom ever is buying it. My experience in buying something with mods done is most times they weren't done right or done with cheap parts. Only exception is buying from an enthusiast as most times they at least take the time and spend the money, but not always. Secondly, if you are wanting to tow I would find a stock WJ or one with smaller tires. 33s aren't a bad size but that's putting a good amount of strain on everything between the tires and towing over the hill. Love the 4.7 but unless someone has been good about maintaining it it's a gamble on those.

Just wondering how much is the trailer you're towing?
Secondly what's your budget?
Lastly, how comfortable are you working on cars?

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #5 of 15 Old 12-07-2019, 09:51 AM
DailybeaterWJ

I got my 99 wj 4.0 for 1,200 at 260k miles, the miles on that are low but with that lift and them tires he could have beaten it off road, If it run good in all I would say 4k maybe 4500 and for being and 02 it's not the newest wj you can get.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-07-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
DnA24

Seems overall you're all saying $3-4k which lines up with KBB estimate.
I haven't asked about the vehicle at all so I'm not sure if the lift was done professionally or done at home. I simply don't know what to check for or ask when buying a vehicle... I'm the type to be ripped off and I'm trying to prevent that by researching ahead of time.
I'm thinking I should pass on this vehicle since it's overpriced for what it is... although it does look nice. I'm thinking maybe I need to go with something a bit more heavy duty like a 1999 Dodge 1500 but I'll have to go research that and this is ****ing exhausting when I don't know ****, to be honest.
Attached Images

post #7 of 15 Old 12-07-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
DnA24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
Pass, any aftermarket mod techincially decreases the value of a vehicle. Its really only worth it to whom ever is buying it. My experience in buying something with mods done is most times they weren't done right or done with cheap parts. Only exception is buying from an enthusiast as most times they at least take the time and spend the money, but not always. Secondly, if you are wanting to tow I would find a stock WJ or one with smaller tires. 33s aren't a bad size but that's putting a good amount of strain on everything between the tires and towing over the hill. Love the 4.7 but unless someone has been good about maintaining it it's a gamble on those.

Just wondering how much is the trailer you're towing?
Secondly what's your budget?
Lastly, how comfortable are you working on cars?
Seems I'm a bit damned if I do and damned if I don't. Lifted isn't good for towing up and over the pass. Not lifted isn't good for the dirt/rock road I need to get too. I don't need that large of tires but the clearance is needed.

Trailer is a vintage 13' Safari.
Budget is preferably under $5000... and I really don't want to spend that much.
Not comfortable at all working on cars unless it's a fairly simple fix that I can follow along on youtube and I don't really have any car smart friends.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-07-2019, 04:36 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

last year i bought a 99 at 138000,4.0 thats still noisy at 147000. running great. paid 2000.
it looks great but rockers are gone on inside. love it.
btw i bought on western av,chicago where they arent cheap...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #9 of 15 Old 12-07-2019, 08:00 PM
smokeyyank

Well just a thought, but look at getting a k5. 89-91 are great years for the K5. You can find one with a 350, 700r4 and np241 along with beig a solid axle. Plenty of clearance to get off road and easy to work on. A 350 is an amazing engine and great to start learning on. Plus you can literally sit in the engine bay. Yes I know this is a jeep forum but a WJ can be a fickle mistress. Love my WJ but the V8 can be a ***** to work on. The 4.0 is a great engine but IMHO a turd in a WJ. In my XJ and MJ it does great but the WJ I had with it just wasn't enough. Depending on the trailer weight XJ would be my top jeep choice. 99 is the pinnacle years for those.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
post #10 of 15 Old 12-09-2019, 04:13 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
At your level of comfort with vehicle maintenance, I would recommend a more stock package myself. A suspension lift can lead to some unpleasant handling characteristics that the chassis was just not designed for and if you don't know how to deal with them, they can be a source of never-ending frustration.

My guess is that there is a certain group of Jeepers that buy a WJ, lift it, ruin the handling, spend a few months trying to fix it, and then sell it to get the headache out of their driveway. Why would the current owner of that WJ put all that new stuff on it just to get rid of it right away?

Having said that ... you can lift a WJ and still tow with it. If the WJ came with a factory tow package, there is a very good chance that it already has a transmission cooler. Unless there is something very special that I don't know about on this dirt road of yours, I would not think you need air bags to tow your very small camper. How much does this camper weigh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #11 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 07:58 AM
GeoffPeterson
2003 WJ 

Like others have said, pass on this one.

The WJ makes for a great all around vehicle. How much does your trailer weigh? That is more important to know than the length. If it is just a regular camping trailer then I suspect any WJ with factory tow package will be fine.

I just picked up a super clean '04 Limited 4.7 with 119K miles for $4300 (the silver one pictured). Prices can very depending on your location but I would look for something similar.

Because you are towing at elevation I would recommend the 4.7 and stay with shorter tires. I just put on a set of Nitto Grapplers 265/65-17's and they are just over 30" tall. I had them on a previous unlifted WJ (blueish one) so you can see they fit without rubbing. I have a set of 2" BB's that are going on along with Bilstien 5100's and Addco sway bars front and rear.

This will allow me to do moderate trails without rubbing and the sway bars will improve on-road handling. Staying with a moderate sized tire will avoid power loss over a larger tire due to the gear change. This will be very important for towing, especially at altitude.

Don't underestimate the capabilities of a WJ in stock configuration either. Most guys think they need a ton of lift and huge tires just to drive on fire roads!

I think the right WJ would fit your needs as they make a very nice daily driver too.
Attached Images

post #12 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 08:14 AM
MojaveMike45

1999 WJ 

Love my WJ but you better have a doctorate in automotive repair or a really fat wallet. Just a heads up, WJ's are incredible vehicles but require lots of maintenance.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 08:27 AM
GeoffPeterson
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveMike45 View Post
Love my WJ but you better have a doctorate in automotive repair or a really fat wallet. Just a heads up, WJ's are incredible vehicles but require lots of maintenance.
As compared to what other 20 year old sub $5K vehicle?

Sure, a Toyota 4 Runner of Land Cruiser will probably be more reliable but will cost more. It also depends on how the vehicle has been maintained. That's why I always recommend looking for one owner all stock vehicles, preferably with good maintenance records.

The thing is, like I said, these are relatively inexpensive almost 20 year old vehicles many of which have high mileage so yes, most may need some maintenance work. If you are looking for trouble free, super reliable rigs then get a much newer (or brand new) Toyota or Honda or something similar but it's going to cost you a whole lot more than the purchase and subsequent maintenance of a clean WJ.

I've had 5 ZJ's, 4 WJ's and one WK and never had any major issues with any of them.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 11:57 AM
smokeyyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffPeterson View Post
As compared to what other 20 year old sub $5K vehicle?

Sure, a Toyota 4 Runner of Land Cruiser will probably be more reliable but will cost more. It also depends on how the vehicle has been maintained. That's why I always recommend looking for one owner all stock vehicles, preferably with good maintenance records.

The thing is, like I said, these are relatively inexpensive almost 20 year old vehicles many of which have high mileage so yes, most may need some maintenance work. If you are looking for trouble free, super reliable rigs then get a much newer (or brand new) Toyota or Honda or something similar but it's going to cost you a whole lot more than the purchase and subsequent maintenance of a clean WJ.

I've had 5 ZJ's, 4 WJ's and one WK and never had any major issues with any of them.
I do agree with though around 5k you're going to have to do work on something regardless if its a honda, toyota, chevy or a jeep. I would say at the price an XJ is a top all round platform. Issue is space, even though they are a 4 door you are pretty limited buy the time you pack in gear and people. I personally would rather have built another XJ but I needed more space so the natural choice was a WJ. Don't get me wrong though WJ vs XJ driving on the road is a night and day difference. WJ does amazing and is comfortable. Ease to work on and driveline wise XJ wins hand down. I think where the WJ's get a lot of bad rap is the V8's aren't known for going high mileage along with the electrical issues. They are DIY friendly for the most part and parts are cheap.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
post #15 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 12:30 PM
GeoffPeterson
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
I do agree with though around 5k you're going to have to do work on something regardless if its a honda, toyota, chevy or a jeep. I would say at the price an XJ is a top all round platform. Issue is space, even though they are a 4 door you are pretty limited buy the time you pack in gear and people. I personally would rather have built another XJ but I needed more space so the natural choice was a WJ. Don't get me wrong though WJ vs XJ driving on the road is a night and day difference. WJ does amazing and is comfortable. Ease to work on and driveline wise XJ wins hand down. I think where the WJ's get a lot of bad rap is the V8's aren't known for going high mileage along with the electrical issues. They are DIY friendly for the most part and parts are cheap.
I agree 100%!

I recently sold this built XJ. It was very capable off road with 6" long arms, lockers, etc. but it wasn't very comfortable on road. The size was also an issue and with smaller drivers door and big lift it was a pain to get in and out of. I don't think I'd have wanted to tow a trailer with it either. I had to down shift to 4th going up grades and keep it floored to maintain 55 MPH with no trailer. It was on 33's with 4.10 gears.

The 4.7 can be problematic especially if over heated but to me, worth it for the extra power. I'm pretty adamant about service intervals and preventative maintenance. With only 119K on mine, I'm hoping to drive it for many years to come.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in