1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigrigr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-31-2020, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Caffine_Addict

Need Drag Link Measurement for Comparison

Hello all,

2004 WJ with a budget boost lift
Having a slight issue with aligning my WJ.

So a little back ground... replaced all the tie rods and sleeves. All identical to what came off the Jeep originally.

Now fast forward to the alignment shop. Mechanic is saying my pitman arm is supposed to be parallel with the frame and he can’t get the wheels straight with the pitman arm being straight. He also runs out of adjustment when trying to accomplish the above. It’s been off center since I bought it and never had an issue. Yet he insisted the pitman arm being crooked is incorrect.

All I need is for someone with a WJ to measure their drag link length from tie rod to tie rod center. And also to tell me if their pitman arm is parallel or of center to the frame when the wheels are straight.

My drag link measures 40.25” ceNter to center.
And my pitman arm is off center towards the driver side with the wheels straight.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-01-2020, 10:34 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Just checked for you on mine, also with a 2-inch BB lift. Drag link is 40.25 inch and I've attached a pic of the pitman arm angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Pitman Arm Angle.jpg  
post #3 of 8 Old 04-01-2020, 11:22 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Yes, i did not measure my draglink, but my pitman arm is very similar to the pic above. Sounds like your steering wheel shaft is attached to your steering box upside down. Need to center the box in its travel by turning full left stop to full right stop and counting the turns. I believe it should be 2 1/2 turns stop to stop..... then split it in half and turn the steering wheel back from full stop 1/2 way. The steering wheel should be straight, or close to it. If the steering wheel is upside down, then the linkage at the steering box needs to be flipped. It only goes on the box two ways 180 degrees apart from each other. Once the steering wheel is close while the box is centered in its travel, then you can adjust the draglink to fine tine your steering wheel straight without losing turning radius in one direction or the other. Make sense?
Mattimus_LV likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

post #4 of 8 Old 04-05-2020, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Caffine_Addict

Thanks for the responses!

For some reason I can’t see the attached picture.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-06-2020, 12:14 AM
Tarneg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

if the alignment shop will say the arm is supposed to be parallel with the frame and yet wont fix it or say how to then to be honest you need a new shop cause as stated yes they are simple systems and if he centers the steering like hes supposed to ( and i have YET to find a place that will cause it takes a bit more time) then he would know what the issue is very fast. i had a related issue with my old car and after the first time in they spent 5 mins on it and it was worse than when i took it in. also i reread your original post and if he didnt say it was incorrect cause it was not the center of the gear box and just reading what an old manual says bad mechanic (the person not 100% the business)
post #6 of 8 Old 04-06-2020, 12:30 AM
Tarneg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

if the alignment shop will say the arm is supposed to be parallel with the frame and yet wont fix it or say how to then to be honest you need a new shop cause as stated yes they are simple systems and if he centers the steering like hes supposed to ( and i have YET to find a place that will cause it takes a bit more time) then he would know what the issue is very fast. i had a related issue with my old car and after the first time in they spent 5 mins on it and it was worse than when i took it in. also i reread your original post and if he didnt say it was incorrect cause it was not the center of the gear box and just reading what an old manual says bad mechanic (the person not 100% the business)
post #7 of 8 Old 04-06-2020, 10:48 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Your mechanic is wrong. I can tell you 100% for certain that my steering wheel, steering gear, and pitman arm are factory originals and the pitman arm position with wheels straight ahead looks just like Harry's pic above. Could be that the WJ is different from other cars, I don't know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #8 of 8 Old 04-06-2020, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Caffine_Addict

Thanks guys for the responses! The measurements and picture above is identical to mine. So yea GmanWJ your damn right!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in