The Mysterious Ticking Noise - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-03-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
terminalninja

The Mysterious Ticking Noise

I've had my WJ for about two years now, I'm the second owner. Oil has been changed every 5k, and while I've put a lot of mileage on it, the majority of it is highway mileage. Up until Thursday I'd had no major issues, just basic maintenance stuff. On Wednesday I started a two day process of moving, the first day I towed a trailer full of my belongings about 50 miles, and the second day I towed my YJ on a tow dolly the same 50 miles. As I was getting off the highway after towing the YJ, I noticed my engine was making a pretty loud, rpm-dependent, ticking/tapping noise. The only time I've ever heard this noise prior to Thursday was a handful of times starting it in cold weather, it would make that noise (or at least a similar noise) for about 15 seconds before going away. This time it's continuous. It's very rpm dependent (frequency of tapping is higher as rpm goes higher), and it's mostly audible just during idle or under acceleration. When coasting it's silent or near silent, at idle it returns. Unfortunately I had to drive another 120 miles with it making the noise, because I had to return the Uhaul trailer. The noise didn't get any worse during that time.

I've done a bunch of reading, I know all the common problems, I was just hoping to get some insight based on the video I took with audio of the noise. I can't really do any major on the Jeep right now because I don't have a garage and we've got about 4" of snow with more coming down constantly through Monday. Once the sun comes back out I was planning on pulling the valve covers and potentially dropping the oil pan. Here's what I know so far

RPM dependent
Seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine, slightly louder on the passenger side
No oil in coolant
No coolant in oil
Oil level is fine
Oil pressure is fine
No loss of power (did 120 miles after the noise started, definitely no power loss)
No engine codes
Exhaust smells slightly of unburnt fuel
286k miles on the everything BUT the engine
Engine was professionally rebuilt at ~150k so about 136k on the engine

And here's the video (add an h, my post count isn't high enough)

ttps://youtu.be/tviW6h7lfE8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-03-2018, 03:57 PM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

this is a 4.7 L ?

Be sure to use a scanner?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-03-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
terminalninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
this is a 4.7 L ?

Be sure to use a scanner?
Yes 4.7 sorry I totally thought I had that in the original post. I did not use a scanner, I was under the impression that the key trick showed the same codes a scanner would, is that incorrect?

post #4 of 24 Old 11-03-2018, 04:37 PM
Dan_in_MN
2000 WJ 

Here's a live link to your video.
Sounds like a ticking rocker arm.

2000 WJ Grand Cherokee Black 236,000+ miles
Needs: Left rear wheel bearing. Front right CV joint.
post #5 of 24 Old 11-03-2018, 06:13 PM
cDee63

2004 WJ 

Garage
Sounds like a dead lifter to me. Or possibly a valve seat about ready to make it's exit.

2004 GC Limited 4.7
2006 Crown Vic Interceptor
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #6 of 24 Old 11-03-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
terminalninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDee63 View Post
Sounds like a dead lifter to me. Or possibly a valve seat about ready to make it's exit.
Yeah that's been my suspicion based on what I read. I'm gonna pull the valve covers and take a look when the weather gets better for it. I did some poking around today and the noise seems to be coming from the block right near the starter, its really hard to tell though. Are the valve cover gaskets reusable or do I need to buy new ones?
post #7 of 24 Old 11-03-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
terminalninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_MN View Post
Sounds like a ticking rocker arm.

Thanks for the link! I'll be pulling the valve covers soon so we shall see
Dan_in_MN likes this.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-04-2018, 01:14 AM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

That doesn't sound like a top end to me, sound like a rod. Seems to get a lot louder from below as well.

Here's hoping it just a really bad manifold leak! Yeah, its not going to be a manifold leak
post #9 of 24 Old 11-04-2018, 07:07 AM
cDee63

2004 WJ 

Garage
I thought rod also, though it doesn't have that deep thunk a rod knock seems to always have. Listening again though it does have that "gets louder on decell" after the rev and the rpms are falling back down. It sounds like it actually gets louder and that in my experience is usually a rod bearing. Mains usually have the deeper thunking sound vs the tapping ticking sound a rod will make.

2004 GC Limited 4.7
High speed, low drag
post #10 of 24 Old 11-04-2018, 09:37 PM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDee63 View Post
I thought rod also, though it doesn't have that deep thunk a rod knock seems to always have. Listening again though it does have that "gets louder on decell" after the rev and the rpms are falling back down. It sounds like it actually gets louder and that in my experience is usually a rod bearing. Mains usually have the deeper thunking sound vs the tapping ticking sound a rod will make.

Itís so hard to tell on videos.
post #11 of 24 Old 11-05-2018, 06:46 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Agree with the rocker arm/lifter issue. Go there first.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #12 of 24 Old 11-05-2018, 06:54 AM
cDee63

2004 WJ 

Garage
Yes it is, and I would absolutely check the valvetrain first, if anything it is much easier. It is very difficult to tell from the video, and I know first hand sound can travel in mysterious ways.

2004 GC Limited 4.7
High speed, low drag
post #13 of 24 Old 11-05-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
terminalninja

Yeah the sound definitely seems to be coming from the bottom rather than the top of the engine, but it is really hard to tell, sound bounces around so much inside the bay. I tried to use a screwdriver as a stethoscope, but it wasn't too much help. Unfortunately due to the stupid time change I probably wont get a chance to pop the valve covers until Saturday. Or maybe I'll get brave and go at it with a headlamp in the dark. My money is on rod bearing or rocker arm/lifter, but my hopes is that it's something simple like the exhaust bolt, not optimistic about that though.

I've read elsewhere about throwing a can of engine restore in to see if it frees up sticky lifters, cleans out oil sludge, etc. Is that even worth it? I feel like if the issue is presenting itself now, a restoration treatment is only going to be a temporary fix.

Am I correct in saying that if it ends up being the rod bearing, there's a good chance the crankshaft will have to be remachined as well? I guess depending on how catastrophically things inside failed.

Drove my YJ with super bald 33x12.5s over Vail pass in ice and snow today, really hoping I can get the WJ operational for winter because I don't want to have to do that again. Ever.
post #14 of 24 Old 11-05-2018, 01:27 PM
cDee63

2004 WJ 

Garage
There is a YT video about how the 4.7L has different size main bearing sets... I have never rebuilt one but found this interesting. Some motorcycle engines are the same

2004 GC Limited 4.7
High speed, low drag
post #15 of 24 Old 11-05-2018, 01:38 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Before you go crazy pulling stuff apart, look closely to make certain that ALL of the exhaust manifold bolts/studs are in place. They have a tendency to snap on the 4.7. Towing the TJ might have heated the exhaust up enough to pop one of more of them in half. The leak that it causes can sound almost exactly like a ticking lifter, but usually the noise will be louder on a stone-cold engine and slightly reduce as things warm up and expand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in