My Jeep turns more one side - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-31-2021, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Yaoe

My Jeep turns more one side

Hi all !

I recently changed the 4 tie rods ends on the drag and tie rod links and tried to keep same measures as old ones. I was going for an alignment soon but I started feeling like the car is struggling to turn right.

I totally disconnected the drag link from the pitman arm to let it turn free and surprise: I can get 1 and 1/2 full turn left but only 1 full turn right...

I didn't touch the pitman arm, neither removed the steering wheel when I changed the tie rod ends. No lift on the Jeep, just 30" tires instead of the 29" stock. So I guess this issue is old. I just bought the WJ last year. What do you think guys ?

I'm thinking about removing either the wheel or the pitman arm and give it 1/4 turn, set the wheel straight and then take the car to alignment. Is it the way to go ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-31-2021, 06:47 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoe View Post
Hi all !

I recently changed the 4 tie rods ends on the drag and tie rod links and tried to keep same measures as old ones. I was going for an alignment soon but I started feeling like the car is struggling to turn right.

I totally disconnected the drag link from the pitman arm to let it turn free and surprise: I can get 1 and 1/2 full turn left but only 1 full turn right...

I didn't touch the pitman arm, neither removed the steering wheel when I changed the tie rod ends. No lift on the Jeep, just 30" tires instead of the 29" stock. So I guess this issue is old. I just bought the WJ last year. What do you think guys ?

I'm thinking about removing either the wheel or the pitman arm and give it 1/4 turn, set the wheel straight and then take the car to alignment. Is it the way to go ?
Get it aligned.
They'll centre your wheel, and adjust your drag link then adjust your track.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-31-2021, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Yaoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0 View Post
Get it aligned.
They'll centre your wheel, and adjust your drag link then adjust your track.

But when the pitman arm is free, shouldn't the wheel steer the same left and right ?

post #4 of 21 Old 07-31-2021, 10:58 AM
Delta0

Quote:
But when the pitman arm is free, shouldn't the wheel steer the same left and right ?
Only if the steering wheel is set correctly on the steering column.

I suspect you need to take your steering wheel of, and refit it with your Pitman arm in the middle of it's travel.
Probably the easiest is to ask whoever aligns your motor to refit your wheel in the correct position.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-31-2021, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Yaoe

I read somewhere on the forum that the XJ steering wheel is keyed. Do you know if that's the case with the WJ ? Will I be able to reinstall it with 1/4 turn to recenter it with pitman ?
post #6 of 21 Old 07-31-2021, 09:09 PM
Delta0

Quote:
I read somewhere on the forum that the XJ steering wheel is keyed. Do you know if that's the case with the WJ ? Will I be able to reinstall it with 1/4 turn to recenter it with pitman ?
The parts list I have does not show a key.
Could be a faulty parts list of course.

The maintenance manual I have says "Reinstall the steering wheel on to the steering
column upper shaft. Be certain to index the alignment splines in the hub of the steering wheel armature with the splines on the shaft.
"
post #7 of 21 Old 08-01-2021, 03:02 AM
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Yaoe, take a look at this - https://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html . The WJ ain't quite the same but the principles of setting up the front end are very similar.

Having changed your tie rod ends you will undoubtedly have changed your alignment and need firstly to set up your toe in. Having done that then the next step is with the front wheels pointing straight ahead note the position of the steering wheel, it will probably be off centre, that is slightly to left or right - you now need to centre the steering wheel by adjusting the drag link, you may have to set this a few times following road testing. Steering wheel removal should not be needed.

I just checked my WJ and from full left lock to full right lock there is a little over two and a half turns on the steering wheel, so I think yours is steering sufficiently and just needs to be aligned properly.

This old thread had a similar problem - https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...oblem-2971529/ - hopefully you can resolve the issue by adjustment. Good luck.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-01-2021, 07:03 AM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

I don't know how the turn signal cancel system works on these WJ's but I would be worried about messing that up if I moved the steering wheel. Hopefully only the tie rod ends are very out of adjustment. I have an old car that turns more to one side than the other, otherwise it tracks nice and straight down the road and it has been aligned. I do think the pitman arm was moved on my car. The steering box also has many miles on it and I suspect there could be an issue there also. I would discuss your issue with an alignment shop and see what they think.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-01-2021, 08:43 AM
GmanWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
I would not remove the steering wheel or pitman arm at all. Alignment first.

I prefer having the alignment done at a shop with the high tech machine. They are better at setting the toe in then I can ever be. Once the toe in is set, you can adjust the drag link yourself if needed to center the wheel, but the shop usually nails this too.

THEN you can worry about how far your steering wheel travels each direction. But alignment first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (4awg charging & backup cam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-01-2021, 11:17 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Hi all !

I had a car once that had more lock one side than the other.
I thought it was great as I had a better turning circle one way than the other.
A much better turning circle than I would have had if the steering had been shared equally between the two sides.
The other turning circle was crummy, but that didn't matter once I'd got used to it.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-01-2021, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Yaoe

So I spent some time again on the car. I have just 1 full turn right and little over 1 and 1/4 left. Car jacked, pitman free, not connected to the drag link.

I made some home tor alignment, just to be close and try to get equal turns left and right. No way ! Each time I center the wheel with the drag link, I reset the issue.

I think I'm missing 1/4 turn right like you guys. You have 2 and 1/2, I have only 2 and 1/4. But it's noticeable in parking lots. The WJ has 120k miles on it. I'm 80% sure that the gear box is the problem. I don't see how an alignment will fix the issue...

I recently changed the high pressure hose after a steering flush ! Trying always to keep the car clean and running but I'm little tired from fixing the things one after the other
post #12 of 21 Old 08-01-2021, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Yaoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HampshireWJ View Post
Yaoe, take a look at this - https://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html . The WJ ain't quite the same but the principles of setting up the front end are very similar.

Having changed your tie rod ends you will undoubtedly have changed your alignment and need firstly to set up your toe in. Having done that then the next step is with the front wheels pointing straight ahead note the position of the steering wheel, it will probably be off centre, that is slightly to left or right - you now need to centre the steering wheel by adjusting the drag link, you may have to set this a few times following road testing. Steering wheel removal should not be needed.

I just checked my WJ and from full left lock to full right lock there is a little over two and a half turns on the steering wheel, so I think yours is steering sufficiently and just needs to be aligned properly.

This old thread had a similar problem - https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...oblem-2971529/ - hopefully you can resolve the issue by adjustment. Good luck.

Can you tell me from straight wheels how much turns to full lock right ? One guy on YT with a different problem on streering gear had also only one full turn right like me...
post #13 of 21 Old 08-01-2021, 09:18 PM
GmanWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Perhaps you need to replace the steering gear?

2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (4awg charging & backup cam)

post #14 of 21 Old 08-01-2021, 11:10 PM
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

From straight wheels to to full lock right I have slightly just over one and and a quarter turn.
post #15 of 21 Old 08-03-2021, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Yaoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanWJ View Post
Perhaps you need to replace the steering gear?

Yes I guess so. I'm taking it to a shop. I need a break from DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by HampshireWJ View Post
From straight wheels to to full lock right I have slightly just over one and and a quarter turn.

Thanks. I'm missing that quarter turn.. shame as everything else seems working. I find steering a bit hard compared to my other cars but the jeep is 10 years older.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in