my '02 Quadra-drive was towed with 2 wheels on the ground, now she doesn't roll - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 Old 09-16-2020, 10:48 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

How attached are you to your WJ? Sounds like there may be more issues if the front and rear axles are leaking and making noise. Who knows what transmission damage was done. This could be a big rabbit hole. If you are getting $6k, could look into getting a different vehicle. Most of the cleaner WJ's around here go for around $6k. Could sell your WJ without the front driveshaft (and being honest) and let this WJ be someone else's headache. Or find a WJ with a decent driveline and swap it over to your body.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 09-17-2020, 02:47 PM
RobinsonFam1
2004 WJ 

id get as much as you from that $16K estimate. and I would not back down. If he has a legit company he has liability insurance that will write the check immediately. wont cost that guy a dime.
buy another jeep.....use the dead one as parts donor then scrap the dead one when finished. Sell deado on CL as parts jeep?
I used to go to people houses like a JY and pull door panels, carpets, etc as they were typically better than JY parts.
unless that jeep is kin to you then get what you can and move on. keep us posted!
Just an idea.
Klarah523 likes this.
post #18 of 30 Old 09-20-2020, 05:58 PM
GTP231
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabatuckian View Post
I have the same question. How does one of these get towed on two wheels? The wrecker drivers around here know to look at the shift lever. The one time I had to have mine "towed," I called around and found a flatbed. The tow operator was very glad that I requested one so he didn't have to go back and exchange the regular wrecker for it.

I'm generally against suing mechanics as way too much is blamed on them, but in this case, it's warranted.

Josh
Don't lump us in with tow operators.

92 Cherokee Laredo
04 Grand Cherokee Special Edition
6 in a row they kind of go

post #19 of 30 Old 09-21-2020, 07:51 AM
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
Don't lump us in with tow operators.
Here, in Small Town, Indiana, they're often the same thing. Lots of small, independent shops with knowledgeable people.

The older feller who flat-bedded my Jeep last winter was the owner of one of these shops, in operation since I was a kid. I can trust most of these folks not to damage my Jeep. They've been around a while.

Josh
post #20 of 30 Old 09-21-2020, 08:16 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have the same question. How does one of these get towed on two wheels? The wrecker drivers around here know to look at the shift lever. The one time I had to have mine "towed," I called around and found a flatbed. The tow operator was very glad that I requested one so he didn't have to go back and exchange the regular wrecker for it.

I'm generally against suing mechanics as way too much is blamed on them, but in this case, it's warranted.

Josh

There are so many AWD vehicles on the road these days, there is no excuse for the tow operator to make this mistake. Don't know about elsewhere, but around here you just don't see vehicles (except junkers) towed on the ground. Everyone seems to be using flatbeds.
GTP231 and Wabatuckian like this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #21 of 30 Old 09-21-2020, 03:37 PM
GTP231
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Here, in Small Town, Indiana, they're often the same thing. Lots of small, independent shops with knowledgeable people.

The older feller who flat-bedded my Jeep last winter was the owner of one of these shops, in operation since I was a kid. I can trust most of these folks not to damage my Jeep. They've been around a while.

Josh
Often times they hire someone specifically to run the tow trucks or they get the least knowledgable guy to do it. At least that's what they do around here
Wabatuckian likes this.

92 Cherokee Laredo
post #22 of 30 Old 09-21-2020, 06:29 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Often times they hire someone specifically to run the tow trucks or they get the least knowledgable guy to do it. At least that's what they do around here
Poor training is no excuse. If you think a GC is expensive to fix, wait till they scramble an Audi.
Wabatuckian likes this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #23 of 30 Old 09-21-2020, 07:26 PM
GTP231
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Poor training is no excuse. If you think a GC is expensive to fix, wait till they scramble an Audi.
Where did I excuse anything? I'm just stating my position of not lumping mechanics and technicians in with tow operators

92 Cherokee Laredo
post #24 of 30 Old 09-21-2020, 09:14 PM
sidneycardinale

Garage
Hi! The same thing happened to my 2002 grand Cherokee about a month ago. It actually just got finished being fixed at the dealership today, they had to put in a whole new front differential and transfer case. Anyways I was wondering if you could actually post the video of your jeep being towed? The video would be very helpful! I attached a couple of pictures of the gears in my front differential
Attached Thumbnails
broken_gears.jpg   broken_gears2.jpg  
post #25 of 30 Old 09-22-2020, 05:28 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Where did I excuse anything? I'm just stating my position of not lumping mechanics and technicians in with tow operators
Sorry if there is a misunderstanding. I was making a general comment, bouncing off, not specifically targeting, your post.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #26 of 30 Old 09-22-2020, 08:48 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
I feel pretty ignorant here ... I do not see the harm in towing a WJ if the TC is in neutral. With the driveshafts disengaged, how can damage occur? Yet according to wjjeeps and the WJ owner's manual, the WJ should never be towed without a dolly, or should instead be transported on a flatbed. But then it also says you CAN flat tow it behind an RV if you put the TC in N and the tranny in P ... why not leave the tranny in N also as insurance? So confusing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #27 of 30 Old 09-22-2020, 09:11 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanWJ View Post
I feel pretty ignorant here ... I do not see the harm in towing a WJ if the TC is in neutral. With the driveshafts disengaged, how can damage occur? Yet according to wjjeeps and the WJ owner's manual, the WJ should never be towed without a dolly, or should instead be transported on a flatbed. But then it also says you CAN flat tow it behind an RV if you put the TC in N and the tranny in P ... why not leave the tranny in N also as insurance? So confusing.
Unlike a basic TC (Wrangler etc) vehicles with 'full time' AWD have some kind of connection (such as a viscous fluid drive) between the front and rear axles to allow for small differences in speed. These are only for small differences. When you're 2 wheel towing, there is a huge difference in speed between the front and rear axles over an extended period of time and his overheats/ damages the coupling mechanism.

Each drive type has its own specific instructions on how to tow with 2 wheels off the ground.

I should point out that even a 2 wheel drive vehicle in neutral can (depending on design) be damaged by long towing with the drive wheels on the ground. Many transmissions are lubricated by a slinger (manual) or pump (auto) on the input shaft. Without the motor running, they don't get lubrication.

Fortunately the transfer cases used in Wranglers are designed to be successfully in neutral at the transfer case.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #28 of 30 Old 09-22-2020, 10:40 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Unlike a basic TC (Wrangler etc) vehicles with 'full time' AWD have some kind of connection (such as a viscous fluid drive) between the front and rear axles to allow for small differences in speed. These are only for small differences. When you're 2 wheel towing, there is a huge difference in speed between the front and rear axles over an extended period of time and his overheats/ damages the coupling mechanism.

Each drive type has its own specific instructions on how to tow with 2 wheels off the ground.

I should point out that even a 2 wheel drive vehicle in neutral can (depending on design) be damaged by long towing with the drive wheels on the ground. Many transmissions are lubricated by a slinger (manual) or pump (auto) on the input shaft. Without the motor running, they don't get lubrication.

Fortunately the transfer cases used in Wranglers are designed to be successfully in neutral at the transfer case.
So you are saying that even when the WJ TC is in Neutral, the front and rear driveshafts are not actually disengaged? Is this true for both the NV242 and NV247 TCs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #29 of 30 Old 09-22-2020, 10:50 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So you are saying that even when the WJ TC is in Neutral, the front and rear driveshafts are not actually disengaged? Is this true for both the NV242 and NV247 TCs?
It varies depending on the unit, I can't specify for units that I'm not familiar with. The NP models in YJ, TJ disconnect both drive shafts and will lubricate when towed. Others (in Jeep products as well as other SUVs you need check the mfgr recommendations)

[adding an additional caveat: You can tow the NP in neutral with just rear wheels on the ground, but now thinking about it, I'm not sure about the same is true with front wheels. Not sure if it will lubricate]

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #30 of 30 Old 09-22-2020, 12:19 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
The transfer case has a neutral for towing but doesn't sound like that was used for the OP. Tranny is probably required to be in Park to ensure the rear part of the transmission doesn't free spin as it will not have proper lubrication without the pump in the front end spinning.

I have a 247 sitting in the garage and will verify whether the front and rear driveshafts are decoupled from each other when in neutral when I am done with a teleconference.
Wabatuckian likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in