Manual Shift I hate Automatics ! - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cDee63

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-20-2021, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

Manual Shift I hate Automatics !

I am of the opinion that Automatics were invented so that broads could drive, and have become rare for the same reason.

I haven't seen any Grand Cherokee's of this 02 body style with one, but apparently around 95 you could get one with a manual 5 speed. I'm sure there are 4.0's with manual shift options. My Trans occasionally shows some signs of slip when getting on it out of a light. I'd like to convert to manual, people think I'm crazy ! Am I ? If I'm going to pony out for a trans, why not get one I want?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-20-2021, 10:40 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

A 1993 zj had the manual option and it was rare.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-21-2021, 05:53 AM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

Yep, there was a factory manual available for the earliest 93 ZJ, which was actually released in April 92 and was 4.0L only at that time.

In late 92 the V8 version was launched, and the factory manual option was discontinued at the same time.

From that point on the Grand Cherokee has never had a factory manual option.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-21-2021, 06:18 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Car makers don't give a hoot about what used car buyers want. They make the things that new car buyers want. As manual transmission orders dropped into the 5% or less area, they were dropped. Many years ago, manuals got significantly better fuel mileage than automatics. (I've read that the nearly bulletproof Turbo 400 consumed up to 75HP just to run the pump and spin its internals!) On the few rigs that you can still find a manual, the fuel mileage difference between it and the automatic is typically 1 MPG. Better pump design and lockup torque converters had a lot to do with it.

Getting the PCM in a WJ to not throw error codes about not being able to communicate with the TCM would also be a challenge. Computers make any kind of swap more difficult than just swapping parts.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-21-2021, 12:18 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
I loved a stick until I got a left knee replacement, clutching became a chore in traffic. I did put a 5 speed in my Crown Vic, however it was pretty easy considering the same engine came with a stick in a Mustang. On a WJ the easiest way would be swap an entire manual drivetrain in with its computer and wiring replacing the Jeep system entirely. A HUGE job. I am still kicking the idea of putting an old school LA 360ci with a stand alone engine management system and a NV3500 manual in my WJ.
skatulaki likes this.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #6 of 14 Old 06-21-2021, 04:01 PM
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

A long term goal for me is to do a turbo diesel swap with an entirely mechanical injection pump, no fuel injection computer and a manual transmission at the same time.

When going that far, I think making the instrument cluster and HVAC work are the tricky parts because you are trying to throw away the parts that make manual difficult.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-21-2021, 07:09 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
A long term goal for me is to do a turbo diesel swap with an entirely mechanical injection pump, no fuel injection computer and a manual transmission at the same time.

When going that far, I think making the instrument cluster and HVAC work are the tricky parts because you are trying to throw away the parts that make manual difficult.
When one goes that far it's easier to go the restomod car route and just regauge the whole cluster and if you want A/C go aftermarket. Fabbing a clutch pedal that works with the brake pedal will be the fun part, that was the hardest part of the 5 speed swap in my Ford.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #8 of 14 Old 06-22-2021, 02:33 AM
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

I've seen a ZJ manual swap that looked pretty clean. I know almost everything changed between ZJ and WJ but if the pedal arrangement and firewall area are similar, I don't think it would be too hard to convert it in exactly the same way.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-22-2021, 03:55 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
I've seen a ZJ manual swap that looked pretty clean. I know almost everything changed between ZJ and WJ but if the pedal arrangement and firewall area are similar, I don't think it would be too hard to convert it in exactly the same way.
It is definitely not the same as a zj I didn't see anywhere a clutch would sit like in a zj.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-23-2021, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

Well to say the truth, this WJ is 2wd, and not 4wd, it's my A to B'er , my daily drive to work and home, and performs well, if the trans pukes, I probably wont fix it. If it were 4wd, I'd convert. I have some cash stashed and some more coming in 6 months or so. I will NEVER buy a new vehicle again, I only ever bought two, and the slavery that comes with it, is not worth it!
post #11 of 14 Old 06-24-2021, 05:02 AM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatulaki View Post
I will NEVER buy a new vehicle again, I only ever bought two, and the slavery that comes with it, is not worth it!
But obviously you're relying on other people buying new vehicles in order for you to benefit from used ones later?
post #12 of 14 Old 06-24-2021, 11:31 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
But obviously you're relying on other people buying new vehicles in order for you to benefit from used ones later?
Logic lol.I guess I am the sucker for buying new, I love my laramie longhorn ram though. I do get those GFYS looks quite often still as I do look very young still in my 40 years driving a truck with an 80000 price tag new tbh I just smile lol.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-24-2021, 12:25 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I was a stick shift snob for decades. But after a while I began to appreciate what a torque converter brings to the operations ..from 'stop and crawl' traffic which wears clutches but doesn't bother a TC at all, to crawling over rocks where jostling makes it rather difficult control both pedals cleanly.

Unlike the old days, automatics are both faster and more fuel efficient than even a rather skilled shifter going by just a tach. Being able to shift under load (well twin clutch transmissions can do that too) as well as coordinating the shift between the engine and transmission so the spark and fuel mixture are ready for the change in loading.

One more area, the high torque (diesel pickups) are moving away from sticks because automatics are available with higher torque ratings. As the torque goes up, the effort to operate clutch as well as the mass of operating the gears/synchros is reaching the point where fewer drivers want to work that hard. EU levelled off, and while US drivers seem a bit more tolerant of stiff clutches and shifting, they are reaching their limit as well.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #14 of 14 Old 06-24-2021, 06:18 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatulaki View Post
I am of the opinion that Automatics were invented so that broads could drive, and have become rare for the same reason.

don't call chicks broads, dames hate that.

just snag a trans from a tj. get the pedal assembly, and the assorted linkages and harnesses. i can pinpoint the emasculation of the american male, to the advent of automatic transmissions, power steering, and air conditioning.

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in