Major clickety clack noise after 4 wheeling - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-04-2020, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
1202diesel

Major clickety clack noise after 4 wheeling

Hey all,

I went 4 wheeling last week on a pretty tough trail. Kicked the absolute crap outta my WJ. 4.7 limited Quadradrive, 247 tcase, u joint double cardan driveshafts, vari loks, upcountry w/skids and 245/70/17’s

Heard felt and saw the vari loks kickin in all day, worked pretty well. Very glad I had a winch because I was in 4low out of necessity for the better part of 6 hrs (with some minor breaks here and there). Managed to drag our bits through 16km in about 8 hrs of really sloppy wheelin.

Anyway, I had two leaking CV axles before the day started. We were banging through mud all day. I knew they’d need a replacement sooner rather than later, but thought one last hoorah and then I’ll order new ones and these will last today.

Well about 3/4 through the day I start hearing clickety clack noises. Bad. Loud as hell. I winched myself through as much as possible instead of taxing the Jeep too much more. Tried 4hi, N, 4lo. Noise didn’t change. Tcase in neutral it still does it. Any of the gears on the trans, still does it.

It sounds like it’s coming from the front diff area. I changed the driver CV shaft out. Noise persists. Changed out diff fluid + FM. Noises persists.

But when I changed the front diff fluid I got some metal pieces out, 2 things that look like two sides to a cotter pin, or maybe part of needle bearing?

I checked the tcase, it was very low, but chain doesn’t have excessive slack from what I can tell and the fluid is honey-clear. So I drained and filled with mobil424 equivalent.

So it’s not the driver CV/Hub/wheel bearing, not the tcase, not diff fluid. Although the cotter pin like material points to maybe a pinion bearing?!?!

About to pull front driveshaft and see if the noise changes. Would I expect the noises to disappear when I remove the D/S even if the pinion bearing is roasted? Or would it still make noise.

Gonna try and post a video of the noise here and photo of the metal that came out.

I’m Mechanically inclines and have a decent tool selection but am just stumped and don’t wanna keep tossing parts at it.

I wheel it but also daily it and driving my wife’s Jetta is really hurting my pride right now.

-Diesel

Attached Thumbnails
05226328-6D2E-4545-9395-1C6D384DE10B_1593927115257.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-04-2020, 11:48 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
If you have ANY foreign material in that diff fluid, it warrants taking that cover off and giving it an inspection. Im betting you will find more pieces laying in the bottom of the housing that explain the noises.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #3 of 7 Old 07-05-2020, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
1202diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
If you have ANY foreign material in that diff fluid, it warrants taking that cover off and giving it an inspection. Im betting you will find more pieces laying in the bottom of the housing that explain the noises.
I agree for sure. Would then pinion bearing spit out something like in the pic? Or would CV’s that were roasted? I’m
Doubtful but looking for experience. I’m very close to going to pull a vari lok diff from a wrecker and asking a driveline shop to install it. FWIW when I
Changed the front diff fluid I saw absolutely no chips or wear on any of the gears or assembly. Is there a retainer/spring clip in the centre of the vari lock diff carrier? If that’s the case if it’s spring loaded maybe that’s what kicked the bucket?

post #4 of 7 Old 07-05-2020, 09:52 AM
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

The photo looks like a couple pieces of steel wire. Can't imagine where that came from and I've had my diffs apart a few times and helped others rebuilding theirs. The axles on the WJ are not "C" clip. Only thing I can think of would be a piece of the axle seal, but that would look like a fully compressed mini spring and I think that's a poor guess on my part.
As far as replacing your Vari lok from a salvage yard, don't. You can get a PowerTrax Grip Pro mechanical locker from Amazon for $380. Just helped a friend put one in his ZJ and it works awsome. That's what I plan to do with mine in the Fall.

02 GCL 4.7-QD-4" IRO CP LA lift-D44/ARB Locker-Bilsteins-Moog stabilizer-JCR slider-Falken 32x10.5
post #5 of 7 Old 07-05-2020, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
1202diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjpaul View Post
The photo looks like a couple pieces of steel wire. Can't imagine where that came from and I've had my diffs apart a few times and helped others rebuilding theirs. The axles on the WJ are not "C" clip. Only thing I can think of would be a piece of the axle seal, but that would look like a fully compressed mini spring and I think that's a poor guess on my part.
As far as replacing your Vari lok from a salvage yard, don't. You can get a PowerTrax Grip Pro mechanical locker from Amazon for $380. Just helped a friend put one in his ZJ and it works awsome. That's what I plan to do with mine in the Fall.
Do these work as a direct replacement for vari-lok carriers or do they require grabbing CV shafts from an open diff/Laredo? I just got new CV’s in there I don’t really wanna buy new ones altogether again. I’ve got no fight with the vari-Lok, it works as advertised and has good road manners. But I will certainly look into it more. It’s just an LSD? If I have to swap shafts I’m going to be getting a selectable locker like an ARB or something I think.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-06-2020, 06:01 AM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

The Powertrax will require a new carrier and axle shafts. Not compatible with Vari-Lok stuff.

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
2" BDS springs 265/70/17 Milestar Patagonia MT
Kolak exhaust
post #7 of 7 Old 07-06-2020, 11:10 AM
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

What CJREX said, new axles. It's not an LSD it is a mechanical locker that is locked until there's a differential speed between the wheels, then it unlocks. Works well on pavement without any clicking. It's awesome off road.

02 GCL 4.7-QD-4" IRO CP LA lift-D44/ARB Locker-Bilsteins-Moog stabilizer-JCR slider-Falken 32x10.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in