Lunchbox lockers - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 02-29-2020, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
its_burney

Lunchbox lockers

Just need some input on the different brand of lockers you have used and recommend. Also would you put one in the front or rear and why. I'm just collecting information before making a decision on what my next move is lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-29-2020, 08:06 AM
smokeyyank

I have an aussie in the rear of mine. Front will stay open. I did rear just because I wanted to have something and wasnt going to drop the coin on a ARB. I had on in the front of XJ with a LSD in the rear. Good setup but they are noisy in the front on turns at slower speed. Rear will still make noise but not as bad as the front IMHO. Also you can only put these in certain axle tcase setup if you didnt already know that.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #3 of 29 Old 02-29-2020, 09:34 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Spartan in the rear here, with true-trac limited slip in the front. So far i love this setup. I would not reccomend a lunchbox in the front, unless you swap in front hubs for a disconnect. I had one in the front of my XJ, and hated it.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's

post #4 of 29 Old 02-29-2020, 10:21 AM
civilizedgrit
2002 WJ 

Installed a Richmond Gear Powertrax No-slip a few weeks ago. Pretty inexpensive (although I paid to have mine installed, getting a little too old for that kind of work without a lift), and VERY effective off road. It takes very little to lock and won't unlock until it gets unloaded. You can feel it in a tight higway turn from a stop (90 degrees) but not at all in driving. My 4.0 doesn't have enough power to make it lock in a turn at highway speed so not a problem there. It did increase driveline lash (more clunk in the rear when coming off throttle than before) but it was expected, and is described in their literature. Definitely a worthwhile tradeoff for the additional traction!
post #5 of 29 Old 02-29-2020, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
its_burney

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
I have an aussie in the rear of mine. Front will stay open. I did rear just because I wanted to have something and wasnt going to drop the coin on a ARB. I had on in the front of XJ with a LSD in the rear. Good setup but they are noisy in the front on turns at slower speed. Rear will still make noise but not as bad as the front IMHO. Also you can only put these in certain axle tcase setup if you didnt already know that.

Ok just for further knowledge any chance you can go into alittle detail on the axel t case you can out them in?
post #6 of 29 Old 02-29-2020, 04:47 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I believe what smokey is talking about is the Quadradrive system. If your Jeep has quadradrive, then you have axles with the Vari-lok differentials. These are great for extra traction, and no lockers are needed. Because these differentials already have limited slips in them, you cannot install a lunchbox locker in them without an "open" carrier, which means a complete teardown and rebuild of the diffs. If your Jeep has the select trac system, or the Quadra trac II system, they most likely have open diffs from the factory, and lunchbox lockers can be installed in them pretty easily. It is possible that the rear axle in either of these last two systems could have a limited slip diff of a different variety(non Vari-lok) as a option added when the Jeep was ordered. If you do NOT have Quadradrive, then you will want to verify before ordering parts.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #7 of 29 Old 02-29-2020, 05:30 PM
FanTech

I have an Aussie locker in the rear. Jeep came that way when I bought it. Overall I do like it. It has performed fantastic in the snow/ice and also the mild trails I have been on. The only downfalls: Noise - clicking around tight turns, not a big deal at all. Clunking - occasionally around slow speed turns the locker will make a loud thud, it sounds bad but it's normal I guess.
post #8 of 29 Old 02-29-2020, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
its_burney

So I do have the select Trac in my.is there a way to tell what options my axel would have? Maybe a code in the VIN or something?
post #9 of 29 Old 02-29-2020, 10:47 PM
smokeyyank

Selectrac you are fine. Like Bigrigr said. Varilock is the hindrance/reason. What engine?

04 WJ, 4.7HO
post #10 of 29 Old 03-01-2020, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
its_burney

I have a 4.7 v8 non ho.
post #11 of 29 Old 03-01-2020, 07:35 AM
smokeyyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_burney View Post
I have a 4.7 v8 non ho.
There is a VIN decoder somewhere. Pretty sure you'll have a D44a in the rear. Either case turdy5 or D44 it should be open. V8 selectra with a d44 is a nice option.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
post #12 of 29 Old 03-01-2020, 08:44 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

post #13 of 29 Old 03-01-2020, 02:27 PM
1202diesel

My stock vari-locks seem to do pretty well. I know they were a factory add on and could be tough to find a JY. But it’s an option. I’ve seen and felt them work. If they are working properly they are a good low noise option.
post #14 of 29 Old 03-01-2020, 02:46 PM
2004WJlover

I've been running dual Powertrax No-Slips for 6 years now daily driver and a ton of difficult off road use. I had lock Rights, and Aussi's and to me they where rough locking and unlocking I sent both back. Ill never get another off road vehicle that I could not use Powertrax No Slips. IMHO they are by far THE BEST LUNCHBOXES. I did the install on both front and rear no difficulty at all.
post #15 of 29 Old 03-01-2020, 03:27 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Congrats on the select-trac system. Its way better than Quadra-trac II. At least you got the 242 transfer case.

There should be a tag located on the cover of the diff in the rear(held on by two bolts holding the cover on). It should have everything you need to identify your axle. It will show two different numbers plus the gear ratio. Most of these Jeeps have 3.73 gear ratio. The BOM#(bill of Materials) will be next to the gear ratio,it is usually a 6 digit number followed by a dash and single number (mine was 606008-2).take this number to the link below, and it should tell you what you have. If it says STD in column #2, that equals an open diff.

https://www.expert.dana.com/expertforms/deabill.aspx

This should work for the front axle as well, but the front doesnt have a tag, these numbers are stamped into the diff cover near the bolts. If you dont have quadradrive, your axle should be an open diff on the front. Varil-lok is the only other option for the front.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in