Low air flow on both driver and passenger side vents - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-21-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
hamradiomatt

Low air flow on both driver and passenger side vents

Hi everyone, first time jeep owner here. Purchased a 2004 WJ SE V6 last year. I'm having some airflow problems with a manual controlled system that I can't seem to find a cause for. When searching, it seems various folks are having similar issues but nothing seems to completely resolve it? Some of their issues did not seem to involve or list the same things I've checked. I have low airflow on both the driver and passenger side vents. Center vents has what I feel is good air flow. Cold air feels coldish, hot air is hot air. Here is what I've done, checked so far.

Checked for codes and no codes are present. I simply get the word "Done."

For fan speed, low does not work. The other three settings work accordingly. The high or max speed feels and sounds like a jet engine out the center vents, but not so much on the driver/passenger side. As I select a slower speed, airflow does come out all the vents, but center vents are the strongest. Even on the lowest speed that does work, the center vents are the strongest and driver/passenger side are still weaker.

Pulled blower motor out. It spins in the right direction. While the motor was out, I did confirm that the lowest speed does not turn on the blower. When on high, the blower motor is definitely pushing air.

Check recirculation door and it moves appropriately when selecting different settings.

Just by happenstance, one morning the heat stopped working recently when trying to figure this all out. It was a bad actuator. When I pulled it off, I checked the spindle for the blend doors. It moves and stops accordingly. I turned on the heater and manually rolled the spindle. I could hear the door as it closed on the opposite side. I started getting hot out the vents. Just like with the AC, center vents have a lot of hot air blowing out. The driver/passenger side vents does not have the same level of flow coming out. I replaced the actuator and it made no difference in airflow.

Pulled the cowl off to see if there was any blockage anywhere and I don't see anything. There is no cabin air filter.

When the air is running, there is a very slight air flow coming out the floor vents. With a wet finger, you have to be right at the mouth of it. An inch away and you don't feel anything. There is no other air flow felt under the dash area.

Recently took several long road trips. Unless the weather is in the 80's or lower, the AC does not really cool down the back seat area. The last road trip, I ended up having to install a behind-the-seat dual fan setup just to get some air circulation in the back.

The only other idea I had was to drop an endoscope down the vents to see if there is anything affecting things. Other than the low air flow on the driver/passenger side and everything else works accordingly, I can't imagine there being any type of vacuum hose problem. In addition, I can't imagine that with the blower motor not working on low but normal for the other settings would affect things to the extent that it does.

Is this the dreaded low vent issues plaguing the WJs like many others here are having problems with or is there something else I can try?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-23-2019, 07:25 AM
nickmills77

I have this same issue in my 01. The center left hand vent above my fan control selector seems to be the only vent blowing. If I cover the vent with my hand to try and force air out of the other vents it doesn't seem to increase airflow.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-23-2019, 08:39 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

It can be fixed, but it takes a LOT of work. There are foam seals for the ducts, inside the system, that just fall apart with age. Here's how to fix it: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...vents-3544698/

post #4 of 4 Old 08-23-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
hamradiomatt

I have some more air now. It better but not quite there yet. From another post here... and I can't post links yet.

I got behind the AC control panel. The foam around the evaporator box was loose and I had air escaping. Not a lot but noticeable. Took out as much foam as I could and sealed the gaps with some foil HVAC tape. The airflow to the driver and passenger side vents was a bit better. I noticed that the foam the seals the center vents only had indentations on 3 sides and not four. I'm thinking that perhaps the foam there was not lined up properly. I am going to pick up some window stripping to make a better seal to see if that helps. Again from the above-mentioned post, I cut out a little bit of the opening behind the glove box. Afterwards, I drove down to get a frosty and while doing so, the air felt a lot better. After all of this, it does suggest that mechanically, everything is sound, I just have gaps from aging, deteriorated foam.

I have a blower motor resistor on order and should be here within a few days.

My current living situation does not allow me to pull the dash apart, but it does make me wonder though. If I pull off the cover I taped down, would it be possible to reach up inside and make a seal from the gaps from the deteriorated foam? It would obviously be slow going and using maybe 2-4" inches of HVAC tape at a time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in