Loss of Power, bad fuel? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-24-2020, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
helijeeper

Wj Loss of Power, bad fuel?

Now for another one of my famous long posts. I'll try to keep it short.

Fueled 16 gallons at Sam's Club and drove home 0.8 miles. Next day was going wheeling at a place about 50 miles away. Made it about 40 miles before experiencing a loss of power that started on a uphill section, vehicle slowed to 35 mph but made it up and regained speed. Next smaller hill was the same thing, I held the accelerator to the floor but still had decreasing speed and rpm. Manually downshifted rpm jumped to 4000 but continued deceleration. I pulled over and my AAA paid for itself again. Engine rough running and codes thrown were misfire 6, misfire 5, random multiple misfires. Later on a Bank 2 lean code was thrown.

First thing I did when I got home was swap the coil pack, and plugs, 5 and 6. Still ran rough and no power. Hooked up fuel pressure gauge and went for a run. Got a video of that, will post link when it goes up on youtube. Results were fuel pressure drop under acceleration along with running like dookie even worse than before.

Pulled the fuel rail removed injector 6. Primed the system catching the fuel in bottle. The fuel separated into 2 layers, one yellowish cloudy layer on top and a clear reddish layer on the bottom. See pic below, don't know why it's sideways.

About 5 hours later in the sun the reddish hue was gone, both layers cleared up somewhat, but still separated with some type of sediment between the layers.

From a google search it looks like Phase Separation which happens when water contaminates ethanol fuel.

I have filed complaint with Sam's Club and notified the Bureau of Standards. Guess the Jeep will be parked till I get results from their investigations.

Attached Thumbnails
fuel.jpg  

"Fly Low, Take Chances"

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L Select Trac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-24-2020, 12:42 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
I know there's a question mark in your subject but obviously you found the problem. I generally do not fuel up anywhere like that just stick to the big names Texaco, Chevron, Exxon, Shell, etc to avoid these types of scenarios. Definitely worth a few extra bucks per tank in my opinion. I see no reason to wait syphon that crap out asap and get some fresh stuff flowing through. If you wait too long who knows what type of corrosion or worse could set it and cause more problems. You have a receipt and a good picture and you won't be the only one that had problems should be covered.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-24-2020, 11:48 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That's pretty bad and like Luth suggested I'd siphon that gas/water out of the tank now. The way things are going these days you may be waiting awfully long for any final decisions.

After you have the fuel out get some fresh gas at a reputable major station and dump a bottle of the below "Heet gas line antifreeze and water remover" in the tank. It should break-down any leftover water and it's available at lots of stores.

https://www.amazon.com/28201-Gas-Lin.../dp/B0016GXNC4

A local BP station burnt me by having water in their fuel in the winter. The water froze in the fuel lines of my ZJ where I never even made it home. Also had to change out the fuel filter. I only go to Sunoco stations now and try to stick to the local one.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

post #4 of 11 Old 03-25-2020, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
helijeeper

Well I guess I'm on the way to go buy a few more gas cans and a siphon after work.

"Fly Low, Take Chances"

post #5 of 11 Old 03-25-2020, 09:33 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Good luck siphoning anything out of the WJ. When my fuel pump died, i was about to tackle it myself when I realized there was a full tank of fuel and no way to cram a hose in there to even touch the fuel. There's something about the fill neck that doesn't allow a narrow hose in.
I hope you have better luck....
If it were me, I'd add in a bottle of dry-gas or 2, drive it around the block to mix and then run it to empty.
Even if it needs to sit and idle for an hour or two, it will run.
Maybe You can also open the shrader valve if you have one and possibly drain fuel out that way?

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #6 of 11 Old 03-26-2020, 07:20 AM
WICruiser
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Assuming that you can not siphon the fuel out disconnect the fuel line at the rail and connect a hose that will reach into a suitable container. Use the system fuel pump to pull as much fuel as possible out of the tank. You will still have a layer of water at the bottom of the tank that will require either the tank to be dropped to dump or fuel with a high alcohol content to adsorb the remaining water.

Disposal of the bad fuel is a big problem because you don't want to use it for any engine and it's highly flammable.

WICruiser
1992 Wrangler YJ Project (4 cyl, 5 speed man - going to SBC, 4 or 5 speed man)
1985 Porsche 928 Project
Chilton WI
post #7 of 11 Old 03-26-2020, 07:51 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
I've siphoned mine out without issue
post #8 of 11 Old 03-26-2020, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
helijeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuthWJ77 View Post
I've siphoned mine out without issue
I definitely had issues. Maybe elaborate on what you used. I may try some different hose tonight.
The easiest way would be to remove the rail and use the pump to push it out but how do you get past the automatic shutoff relay. From what I understand it keeps the fuel pump from running unless the engine is running. Damn safety devices. My Haynes is at home and no luck researching it online so far. If any one has a jump this terminal to that one solution I'm all about it.

"Fly Low, Take Chances"

post #9 of 11 Old 03-26-2020, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
helijeeper

I'm pretty sure I got it figured out how to run the pump. Will try tonight and post results.

"Fly Low, Take Chances"

post #10 of 11 Old 03-27-2020, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
helijeeper

So disconnecting the fuel rail and hooking some hose up to the fuel line proved to be the easiest way to drain most of the tank. A paper clip jumping terminal 87 to 30 on the fuel pump relay powers the pump. Takes about 20 min to pump 5 gallons.

Took a sample while filling the second 5 gallon can and it was pumping good looking fuel.

It's tempting to just run it now but I'm going to drop the tank and clean/inspect everything. I do take this thing into some deep woods. Would suck to go up a hill and have some residual slosh to the pickup.

"Fly Low, Take Chances"

post #11 of 11 Old 03-27-2020, 11:29 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by helijeeper View Post
I definitely had issues. Maybe elaborate on what you used. I may try some different hose tonight.
The easiest way would be to remove the rail and use the pump to push it out but how do you get past the automatic shutoff relay. From what I understand it keeps the fuel pump from running unless the engine is running. Damn safety devices. My Haynes is at home and no luck researching it online so far. If any one has a jump this terminal to that one solution I'm all about it.
Sorry late response but I just used a cheap siphon pump from the fill neck to a gas jug. Wasn't fast but got enough out for me to drop the tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in