loose steering WJ - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2oldjeeps

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-13-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
DrGrebo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

loose steering WJ

I have alot of play in the steering wheel, maybe 1-2" of play. I've done some searching and have yet to find a good answer. Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 PM
WJChris

2013 JK Wrangler 

tighten up the set screw in the steering box?
post #3 of 15 Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 PM
WJChris

2013 JK Wrangler 

================================================== =======
This How To applies to the Saginaw Power Steering Box. I believe this box was installed on all Full-Size Jeeps that came with power steering. The recirculating ball mechanism in the Saginaw power steering box wears naturally with use. Centered between the 4 bolts that fasten the top plate to the steering box is an adjustment. If I remember right, it is an Allen screw with a lock nut around the screw.

The adjustment is sometimes covered by the bottom of the radiator. If it is, you will have to strategically cut-off the short end of a 90 degree bend type Allen wrench in order to turn the screw. I don't remember what size Allen wrench it takes.

To adjust the thing, loosen the lock nut and turn the screw in clock wise. Just a 1/8 turn at a time until you get close to 1" of play between going left and going right. One inch of on center play means you can move the steering wheel, at the rim, back and forth 1" before it goes left or right.

To judge whether or not you are close to 1" of play, start the engine and then stand outside and turn the steering wheel back and forth through the window opening while watching the front tire for movement. When you can move your hand one inch back and forth before you see the tire move, you are in the ball park. Once you get close to 1", then turn the adjuster only 1/16 of a turn until you are at or just under 1" of free play.

ALWAYS err on the conservative side if you are in doubt. You can damage the steering box if you get it too tight. Road test the Jeep after every adjustment. Find a nice smooth road with very little crown (crown = high spot in the center sloped toward the shoulders for water run-off) where you can drive at a steady 45-50 MPH plus so you can judge how much on center play you have.

The Jeep Service Manual warns against adjusting the box unless you remove it and go through a big long procedure involving setting bearing pre-load and over center torque.

When you turn the adjusting screw, you are moving the pitman shaft up in relation to the case. The shaft has a beveled gear on it and you are moving his gear closer to complete mesh with the worm shaft. Complete mesh is what you don't want to happen. There needs to be some play between the two.

Keeping your steering box in adjustment will decrease wear. The more play you have, the more wear will occur between the pitman shaft gear and the worm shaft. At some point you will no longer be able to adjust out the play and the box will have to be rebuilt.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-13-2010, 02:18 PM
JJAMISON_

2015 JK Wrangler 

carry it to a shop and get an alignment

post #5 of 15 Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM
MurdaJs
Web Wheeler
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris View Post
================================================== =======
This How To applies to the Saginaw Power Steering Box. I believe this box was installed on all Full-Size Jeeps that came with power steering. The recirculating ball mechanism in the Saginaw power steering box wears naturally with use. Centered between the 4 bolts that fasten the top plate to the steering box is an adjustment. If I remember right, it is an Allen screw with a lock nut around the screw.

The adjustment is sometimes covered by the bottom of the radiator. If it is, you will have to strategically cut-off the short end of a 90 degree bend type Allen wrench in order to turn the screw. I don't remember what size Allen wrench it takes.

To adjust the thing, loosen the lock nut and turn the screw in clock wise. Just a 1/8 turn at a time until you get close to 1" of play between going left and going right. One inch of on center play means you can move the steering wheel, at the rim, back and forth 1" before it goes left or right.

To judge whether or not you are close to 1" of play, start the engine and then stand outside and turn the steering wheel back and forth through the window opening while watching the front tire for movement. When you can move your hand one inch back and forth before you see the tire move, you are in the ball park. Once you get close to 1", then turn the adjuster only 1/16 of a turn until you are at or just under 1" of free play.

ALWAYS err on the conservative side if you are in doubt. You can damage the steering box if you get it too tight. Road test the Jeep after every adjustment. Find a nice smooth road with very little crown (crown = high spot in the center sloped toward the shoulders for water run-off) where you can drive at a steady 45-50 MPH plus so you can judge how much on center play you have.

The Jeep Service Manual warns against adjusting the box unless you remove it and go through a big long procedure involving setting bearing pre-load and over center torque.

When you turn the adjusting screw, you are moving the pitman shaft up in relation to the case. The shaft has a beveled gear on it and you are moving his gear closer to complete mesh with the worm shaft. Complete mesh is what you don't want to happen. There needs to be some play between the two.

Keeping your steering box in adjustment will decrease wear. The more play you have, the more wear will occur between the pitman shaft gear and the worm shaft. At some point you will no longer be able to adjust out the play and the box will have to be rebuilt.
Vetty niiice, Im going to give this a shot myself
post #6 of 15 Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
DrGrebo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

First, I'm going to wiggle the steering wheel and see if I can see any play. Then I'll try your method wjchris. Thanks!
post #7 of 15 Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM
JJAMISON_

2015 JK Wrangler 

easiest way to fix this really is to goto your local Jeep dealer. Find a Rubicon, trade your jeep in on the rubicon. See, steering problem fixed.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-13-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
DrGrebo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON_ View Post
easiest way to fix this really is to goto your local Jeep dealer. Find a Rubicon, trade your jeep in on the rubicon. See, steering problem fixed.
do they accept lincolns? I have one I could do without ha
post #9 of 15 Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 PM
patrick983

2000 WJ 

All lf my play was in the 4 worn tie rod ends, ive seen people wreck steering boxes trying to adjust them

2000 White V8 WJ LSR-6in-35's-LA's-242HD-Warn SOLD and missed very badly
06 GTO - BC Coilovers, JBA Catless mids, Svede Intake
post #10 of 15 Old 07-13-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
DrGrebo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

All of my tie rod ends are okay, along with my ball joints. The "Saginaw power steering box" isn't the same one in my wj if I'm not mistaken. It looks like the shaft coming from the steering wheel itself is moving alot before "grabbing" the steering box itself. If that makes any sense
post #11 of 15 Old 09-25-2020, 04:55 PM
Albins

Yes, That makes sense. That's the way it looks on mine also. Everyone else is trying to solve a loose steering problem from the steering gear box on out to the wheels but I think the problem is the loose ness in the column and shaft. If it wasn't a safety issue and an installation problem I would have the multi-part shaft welded so it would transfer the steering wheel turning to the gear box more directly.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-25-2020, 07:24 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
If I'm not mistaken ( don't talk to my wife ) Your rig has what's called an intermediate shaft between the steering wheel and gear box. That shaft is most likely having an issue such as a defective u joint.

Go to Moparpartsgiant.com and look it up.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-26-2020, 11:17 AM
thechainrule

Just did all of my TREs and ball joints front and rear and added a new redgear, I have a brand new Jeep! I would suggest looking into the same items.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-26-2020, 01:24 PM
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Holy necro thread, Batman!
post #15 of 15 Old 09-26-2020, 02:20 PM
2oldjeeps

2000 XJ Cherokee 

still good reading
Wabatuckian likes this.

99wj, 150,000 miles
00xj ,189,000 miles
10hummer3,76,000 miles
98xj, 133,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in