Loose steering system - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-27-2020, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
tonyskidawg

Garage
Loose steering system

Hey guys, fixing up a 2003 Grand Cherokee, it has 269K miles 4x4. I just got 4 matching good used tires, mounted balanced. Got rid of her death wobble at 45 mph, (right front had steel belts showing).
I took it up to 70 MPH on Interstate 40 in ABQ, NM. When I went to exit on Tramway, I noticed at high speed, she was over the road a little. When I got down to 45, I took the steering wheel, and can go left and right a little with no wheel (steering) response.
I am new to Jeep, I had an old Chevy truck that I tightened up the steering box years ago, lock nut, and adjuster bolt.

Is there anything similar on a 2003 Grand Cherokee, (WJ), is what I think is the acronym.

I understand tie rod ends and such, but before going off the deep end, I am requesting any advise, thank you.

Skidawg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-29-2020, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
tonyskidawg

Garage
Wow! 93 Jeep reviews, and no response.
I will have to go the dealership.
And pay tooth and nail. I guess no one ever experienced a sloppy Jeep, steering system.
Either nobody has or they are just lazy. Semper Fi!
This is what I fought two wars for.
Idle silence. I would go back to the USMC in a heart beat.

Skidawg
post #3 of 6 Old 05-29-2020, 08:03 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You didn't put this into the WJ forum...so maybe that's why? Not so sure we're crawling with WJ moderators...lots of people won't answer until they have it definitive, or have direct experience...I'm not a mod so I can't move it to the right forum...and yeah, I've adjusted my units, but nothing newer than a 2000.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-29-2020, 09:35 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

gutthans is right, you would get a better response if you posted in the WJ tech forum. This is the tires and wheel forum.
And just because you see a certain number of views doesn't mean that many people have viewed your thread. Most of those views are from web crawling bots. No need to get your fatigues in a twist.

You need to start by identifying where the play is actually coming from. It could be in the steering gear...but it could also be a tie rod issue or a pitman arm or an issue in the column.
With Jeep not running, crawl under it and have someone move the steering wheel left and right. You should be able to spot where the issue is.
Once you spot the issue, you can be sure there is a youtube video about it. It took me all of 10 seconds to find one specifically about tightening the steering gear on a WJ.
Semper Fi.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 6 Old 05-30-2020, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
tonyskidawg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
gutthans is right, you would get a better response if you posted in the WJ tech forum. This is the tires and wheel forum.
And just because you see a certain number of views doesn't mean that many people have viewed your thread. Most of those views are from web crawling bots. No need to get your fatigues in a twist.

You need to start by identifying where the play is actually coming from. It could be in the steering gear...but it could also be a tie rod issue or a pitman arm or an issue in the column.
With Jeep not running, crawl under it and have someone move the steering wheel left and right. You should be able to spot where the issue is.
Once you spot the issue, you can be sure there is a youtube video about it. It took me all of 10 seconds to find one specifically about tightening the steering gear on a WJ.
Semper Fi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_jCvuRXkgg
Thanks guys, had a bad day. I appreciate your support. Thank you. Stay safe.

Skidawg
post #6 of 6 Old 06-03-2020, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
tonyskidawg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyskidawg View Post
Thanks guys, had a bad day. I appreciate your support. Thank you. Stay safe.
kruzin, thanks for the video, I was able to get my hooks into the right spot and tightened up that steering box 1/8th turn.
Now the slop is gone.
Before when I was on the freeway going 70 mph or so, it was hairy because she would wander a little. Now she tracks straight.
Appreciate it! Ski

Skidawg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in