Loose steering - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Blasterkid305

1998 ZJ 

Loose steering

I have a wj with 200,000 miles I changed out all tie rod ends cv axles in the front upper and lower ball joints and also did the hub bearings and changed out the steering gear box took it to Pepboys and got it aligned and it still has me all over the road left and right I don’t know what else to do I’m running out of options only thing I haven’t done in the front is the track bar the Jeep is lifted 2 inches all around on coil spacers and also I put on Jeep Wrangler JK wheels please if anyone can help I have done all the work my self but I’m stuck and I am scared to even drive the car over 40 MPH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 11:16 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
That Track bar is something that is critical to how these Jeeps drive. You dont want much movement at all in the bushings, and NO movement or slop in the hardware.(bolts MUST be tight). I would hope that the Pep-boys guys would've checked out that front end before aligning it, but you never know. Also, What size tire are you running? Are they all the same brand and condition? Whats the steering stabilizer like? Make sure it isnt dead. You usually have to take it off to look for dead spots in it's stroke to really be sure. Upper and lower control arm bushings ok? You have control arms top and bottom on the front, and lower control arms in the rear, with an upper a-arm. All of these bushings could cause wander and looseness if they are worn, and the rear upper A-arm has a joint similar to a ball joint or tie rod end that can be loose as well. 200K miles is alot of miles for all of these parts....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #3 of 10 Old 02-20-2020, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Blasterkid305

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
That Track bar is something that is critical to how these Jeeps drive. You dont want much movement at all in the bushings, and NO movement or slop in the hardware.(bolts MUST be tight). I would hope that the Pep-boys guys would've checked out that front end before aligning it, but you never know. Also, What size tire are you running? Are they all the same brand and condition? Whats the steering stabilizer like? Make sure it isnt dead. You usually have to take it off to look for dead spots in it's stroke to really be sure. Upper and lower control arm bushings ok? You have control arms top and bottom on the front, and lower control arms in the rear, with an upper a-arm. All of these bushings could cause wander and looseness if they are worn, and the rear upper A-arm has a joint similar to a ball joint or tie rod end that can be loose as well. 200K miles is alot of miles for all of these parts....

I have the stock wrangler rims that come from factory don’t have the size in front of me now but I changed the steering stabilizer but I haven’t changed the track bar bushings yet I bought them but not sure if to change the whole bar or just the new bushings I have there the moog ones and the other control arms I haven’t changed none of them yet as for tires there’s about 50 percent tread left on them I have air shocks in the back not sure if those can cause a problem I was thinking of putting on the Monroe load bearing shocks which is the one with the springs since I carry my boat and 4 wheeler trailer but I’m just so lost

post #4 of 10 Old 02-20-2020, 10:32 AM
jtpeters
2004 WJ 

Garage
@Blasterkid305
Perhaps inspect/take a look at what @Bigrigr mentioned....Rear Control Arm.
Could be the culprit.

2004 Jeep Overland WJ 4.7 H.O. (Bought new in Oct 2003)
2014 Jeep Overland WK2 5.7 Hemi (Bought used in 2016 w/7k miles)
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (in Family since 1974)
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302
2011 BMW 328i
post #5 of 10 Old 02-20-2020, 10:43 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Sounds like control arms & upper ball joint to me. I bet if you replaced them all you would be comfortable exceeding 40 mph, you could probably even double it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #6 of 10 Old 02-20-2020, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Blasterkid305

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpeters View Post
@Blasterkid305
Perhaps inspect/take a look at what @Bigrigr mentioned....Rear Control Arm.
Could be the culprit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanWJ View Post
Sounds like control arms & upper ball joint to me. I bet if you replaced them all you would be comfortable exceeding 40 mph, you could probably even double it.
I changed all the ball joints only thing left to change as far the the suspension components go is the track bar and all the control arms which I’m assuming it has to be one of those that are creating the problem those are the only parts left I haven’t changed yet thank you guys sometimes it’s better getting someone else’s opinions looking from the outside in
post #7 of 10 Old 02-20-2020, 11:08 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Did you change the rear upper ball joint? It is mounted to the top of the rear axle pumpkin. The rear upper control arm (A-arm) connects to it.
Looks like this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #8 of 10 Old 02-20-2020, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Blasterkid305

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanWJ View Post
Did you change the rear upper ball joint? It is mounted to the top of the rear axle pumpkin. The rear upper control arm (A-arm) connects to it.
Looks like this:
I haven’t changed that rear upper ball joint I was going to change that with all the control arms of the Jeep I have air shocks in the back I’m wondering if I should change to load bearing Monroe shocks that will stiffen the ride but I’m lifted 2 inches some people say that those shocks won’t work for lifted jeeps what’s your take on that?
post #9 of 10 Old 02-20-2020, 07:44 PM
JoMc67

Garage
Yes, as others have mentioned check the Rear Upper Control Arm & Ball Joint...Your Steering wheel may be tight and aligned straight, but your rear Axle area will make your WJ wonder the roads.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-20-2020, 07:46 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Yes, the Load bearing shocks are meant to carry extra weight, not extend very much. With a lift of any sort, i would be surprised if they were long enough.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in