1Likes
  • 1 Post By stover02limited

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-16-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
173djeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at a WJ tomorrow

Hey everyone,

Im usually in the TJ forums so the WJ's are new to me. Tomorrow im going to look at a 4.7 2004 Limited with the quadradrive transfercase (vari-lok?). Looking at the build sheet it has the tow package, D44a rear axle, and what looks like every other available option at the time. The jeep has 109k miles. What are some of the major things I should be looking for? And if I do get the jeep what are some of the maintenance services I should be doing and things to expect in the future? Thanks guys!

Also, Ive been reading through the WJ buys guide on here, but just wanted some new/updated info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-17-2019, 02:18 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I have a 04 4.7 Limited with 112K miles and think it's great! Yeah, the Quadra-drive is AWD with the 247 transfer case and vari-lok axles. There's just 'high' and 'low' ranges on the 247 shifter. The 545RFE transmission seems to be heavy duty and no major problems when well maintained. Still, check the fluid and make sure it isn't burnt smelling while should be bright red like ATF.

If you purchase it the first thing to do is change all the fluids/filters unless someone has proof they weren't done not too long ago. Brakes should be checked and do some slow figure 8's to see if there's any noises/or loose feeling parts.

Here's a real good source for maintenance schedules and fluids/filters to use.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/maintenance_wj.htm

Some 4.7's have problems with a dropped valve seat but most of those have been overheated. I've decided I'm just going to not worry about it while maintaining it the best I can. But like any other vehicle you buy there shouldn't be any loud taping noises coming from the engine.

You're luck you're in CA and hopefully the WJ you buy is too. Here in the road salt/rust belt they rust just too quickly. The road salt's hard on everything else too like brakes. Good luck.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 AM
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

I agree with Uniblurb. When doing your figure eights if you get a "grinding type" noise from the front end that most likely means it's time to change the diff gear oil and be sure to add the Mopar friction modifier. If you get a clicking noise when you first drive it cold it could be one of the front axle CV joints. Easy to replace the axle so no biggie. If you take a friend have them turn the steering wheel just a bit side to side while you watch the front suspension components. Want to be sure all your rod ends are tight and not looking sloppy in movement. Ask to see whatever maintenance records the owner has and find out what service and repairs have been done. If it has been maintained well and not abused it should be a pretty good car.

02 GCL 4.7-QD-4" IRO CP LA lift-D44/ARB Locker-Bilsteins-Moog stabilizer-JCR slider-Falken 32x10.5

post #4 of 6 Old 08-17-2019, 01:23 PM
mxer201
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Did you get the GC? I spent a year and half searching before finally getting what I wanted.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-17-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
173djeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately the listing made the jeep look way better than it actually was. Went to look at it and it was a complete pile of s***. I guess ill need to keep looking. I really want to hold out for a WJ with a v8 and d44a rear.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-17-2019, 06:51 PM
stover02limited

2001 WJ 

Pretty much every wj with a V8 has the d44. Maybe all of them. And almost every wj limited was a V8. Maybe all of them.

Sent from my S3_Pro using Tapatalk
173djeep likes this.

Built > Bought

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in