looking to build an wj on tracks | looking for input regarding donor - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 Old 12-04-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
steiny93
1997 XJ Cherokee 

looking to build an wj on tracks | looking for input regarding donor

looking to pick the minds of this group in regards to a track build i'm looking to start; current thinking is that i'll go with a WJ this time around

last winter I did an XJ build with tracks; here is the link https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...arted-1552080/

my plan is to-do the same with an wj; hence i'm looking for some input from the experts

from a design criteria I have the following needs
- durable
- simple
- hp / torque isn't a need; any engine combo will be plenty
- range; larger fuel tank or better efficiency would be positives
- clearance/weight carrying; on the xj it took a lot of height and much stiffer leafs to keep the front of the rear tracks from rubbing when we have 4 ppl and 1000 lbs of payload on the jeep (stuff and tongue weight of the trailer)

Based on my research I think I need the following
- 1999-2004 wj with the 4.7 (to get the 45RFE tranny and the dana 44a vs the dana 35)
- 4wd perspective
- i'm thinking the Selec-Trac
- possible option of the Quadra-Drive as I could get the vari-lok diffs

Any inputs on the engine/4wd choices for a track build? To date I haven't needed lockers in the xj; they would be nice but I'm not sure if they are required. I get that if I go Selec-Trac I can go locker but not with the Quadra-Drive. Is the Quadra-Drive durable enough for tracks?

How about adding a hydro steer? Is that easy in the WJ as in the XJ?

Any thoughts or input much appreciated,
thx

For context, here is a pic of how the XJ last year ended up.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 12-04-2014, 12:23 PM
offroading.net

2007 WK 

you wouldn't want the quadratrac 247 transfer case as it is constantly variable 4wd hi with no lock option and I think tracks would kill varilock diffs, I doubt the clutches would hold. V8 with a 242hd would be the way to go

Steve Wright

'07 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD
'16 Renegade Limited, Wifey Wagon
Previous Jeeps- 8 XJs, 3 KJs, 3 WJs, 2 TJ's & an MJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 53 Old 12-05-2014, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
steiny93
1997 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the info;
from your post i'm thinking your recommendation is the following
- no to either quadra-trac's (I or II)
- you are thinking the quadra-drive could have issues with vari-lok's due to the extra load of the tracks
- thinking yes on the selec-trac (I believe this is how one gets the 242)

and yes to the 4.7 v8

Is that accurate?

any thoughts as to the difficulty of getting a lift which will give me enough clearance and the ability to carry 4 guys/gear/700lbs on the tongue? In XJ land it was a leaf pack built out of f-150 springs as well as blocks to get enough clearance. I'm thinking i'll need about 1000lbs of carry capacity and about 3 inches of height.

thoughts?

post #4 of 53 Old 12-05-2014, 07:10 AM
offroading.net

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93 View Post
- thinking yes on the selec-trac (I believe this is how one gets the 242)

and yes to the 4.7 v8

Is that accurate?
Yep.

What is the width of the track triangle (for want of a better word) in line with the axle centre? I would have thought it was less than a stock WJ wheel (29"), where was the XJ catching, only on the rears?
I would be thinking OME HD springs to avoid any sag would be the way to go, I had no sag when I had them on my WJ, IRO ones have settled a bit though

Steve Wright

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 53 Old 12-05-2014, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
steiny93
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not in front of the jeep right now; but here is a better pic from the side; from centerline of the hub to the ground is ~21 inches from memory for reference; so basically you are trying to fit 42's; which are worse in the rear due to the shallower angle as they are long tracks vs the shorties in the front.

On the XJ in the front i'm not having any clearance issues; but you can see I've cut a fair amount.

Yep; the clearance issue is only in the rear and only at the front of the rear tracks where it contacts right below the rear doors. I also only have impact issues when i'm fully loaded (house/4 dudes/gear) and we hit large snowbanks/ridges. This is where I think if I could get greater load capacity I'd be better (stronger springs)

Running with 2 dudes for example; I don't rub at all.

Here's a pic from the side that shows it better
[IMG][/IMG]
post #6 of 53 Old 12-05-2014, 08:27 AM
offroading.net

2007 WK 

So on a WJ if you go adjustable control arms front & rear you could stretch out the wheel base & move the tracks away from the rockers, then just hack the plastic bumpers. Whats the distance from the axle centre to upper most part of the track?

for reference, my WJ with a 4" lift & 32"s, happ to do some measurements off it if you wish.

Steve Wright

post #7 of 53 Old 12-06-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
steiny93
1997 XJ Cherokee 

its 12" from the centerline of the hub to the top end of the track
post #8 of 53 Old 12-07-2014, 03:31 AM
PolarWolf
2004 WJ 

I hope you do it, I'd love to see a WJ on tracks What brand tracks are you using, Mattracks? They have a lot of different models, one of which is the EZ HD: https://www.mattracks.com/tracks/litefoot/ez/hd/. That should fit under a WJ fairly well without having to hack the thing to bits to make it fit.
post #9 of 53 Old 12-07-2014, 08:34 AM
offroading.net

2007 WK 

Quote:
its 12" from the centerline of the hub to the top end of the track
Thats the distance from the hub centre on my Jeep to the top of the white lettering on the tyres

Steve Wright

post #10 of 53 Old 12-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroading.net View Post
So on a WJ if you go adjustable control arms front & rear you could stretch out the wheel base & move the tracks away from the rockers, then just hack the plastic bumpers...
You wouldn't be able to gain much wheelbase without some other significant mods.

The gas tank and the steering are the limiting factors.
post #11 of 53 Old 12-08-2014, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
steiny93
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarWolf View Post
I hope you do it, I'd love to see a WJ on tracks What brand tracks are you using, Mattracks? They have a lot of different models, one of which is the EZ HD: https://www.mattracks.com/tracks/litefoot/ez/hd/. That should fit under a WJ fairly well without having to hack the thing to bits to make it fit.
dominator tracks by http://www.americantracktruck.com had to many issues with track system failure and damage with mattracks; no interest in the EZ tracks; they don't have the load capacity i'm looking for. in addition the dominators use all snowmobile bits (tracks/boogies) vs proprietary bits from mattracks or camoplast for example

on the negative; the dominators have zero suspension
post #12 of 53 Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
steiny93
1997 XJ Cherokee 

the clearance issue isn't going to be between the highest track point and the jeep; rather it'll be contact between the jeep and the track directly ahead of or behind the track in line with the axle

i'm guessing that the impact will be the leading edge of the rear tracks; so lengthening the wheel base would help; also going with a non long track would also help
I suppose I could try putting the short tracks on the back and see how big of a difference it makes; the load capacity is the same its just if you want the floatation
post #13 of 53 Old 12-08-2014, 06:58 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
... so lengthening the wheel base would help; ...
How much can you lengthen the wheelbase before the axle hits the gas tank?
post #14 of 53 Old 12-09-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
steiny93
1997 XJ Cherokee 

so I've found a wrinkle in the plan

according to the track manufacturer a wj will be 3.5 inches wider then an xj on tracks 81" vs 77.5" wide; a big advantage of going the jeep route was to be able to leverage tilt bed trailers; the ones I have are 82" and 80" wide

I need to-do some additional digging; but this could push me back to another xj.
thoughts? Does the width difference jive?
post #15 of 53 Old 12-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93
so I've found a wrinkle in the plan according to the track manufacturer a wj will be 3.5 inches wider then an xj on tracks 81" vs 77.5" wide; a big advantage of going the jeep route was to be able to leverage tilt bed trailers; the ones I have are 82" and 80" wide I need to-do some additional digging; but this could push me back to another xj. thoughts? Does the width difference jive?
Yes, width difference is correct.

WJ axles are about 63.5" WMS to WMS.

XJ axles are about 60.5" WMS to WMS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in