Light bar finally done - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
K10roc

Light bar finally done

well we are leaving on our snowmobile trip, and i wanted to get a few odds and ends done... finally finished the light bar!
got about $60 total into it...

10 hours of wiring later... the light bar is wired... you can not see any wires, i love it... 2 switches one for 2 lights, one for 3, both have their own relays. the wires are ran though the roof rack, down into the back, under the head liner, to the left support tower by the windshield, down that into my dash, i ran an extra power line in case i add more lights to the back... took forever! everything is soldered and shrink wrapped of course, came out great... here are some pics

you can see a bit of the wires cause in the summer i wanted to open my sun roof, i drilled out the stops on the rack so i can slide it all the way forward when i am using the lights, in the summer i will just slide it back a bit, that is why the wires are there so that i can still move it around without a problem (got to think ahead)

wires back from the roof rack and into the cab

switches

can you see me now! with the Piaa fog light conversions, projection headlights... and now the roof rack, i am ready for my snowmobile trip!!

Joe K.
"if you can buy it, you can build it BETTER"!
2000 Jeep grand WJ limited, 245/75/16, Thrust 2 chamber muffler, 2in bb, rough country shocks, slotted and drilled rotors, Torqflo trans cooler, powder coated calipers, custom made CAI, K&N cone filter, ported and polished throttle body, Chip, Torqflo trans cooler, 6000k HID, PIAA fog, lots of powder coating and blacked out parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 AM
-cAcHe-

1996 ZJ 

looks nice and bright.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWK View Post
I like happy endings :2thumbsup:
RIP Troy Edwards (bigbluezj94)
post #3 of 44 Old 01-13-2010, 12:26 PM
straty1987

looks good,

did you just use a stock cross bar?
and what lights are those?

post #4 of 44 Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 PM
DjDiddles
2017 KL Cherokee 

Hell of a job!!! Nice work!!

2017 KL Trailhawk
Colorado Jeep Club #977
post #5 of 44 Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Chawietjes

1998 ZJ 

Sweet Way to wire it up! Never would have thought about that!!
post #6 of 44 Old 01-13-2010, 01:15 PM
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

I LIKE IT ! ! I'll have to make that one of my next projects. Just wondering...before you ran your wires along the headliner, had you thought of taking them along the floor? Would the headliner be easier?

Anyway, great job.

'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS
post #7 of 44 Old 01-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Greeeeenberg

1997 ZJ 

Where are you going snowmobiling at?

97 ZJ Orvis 5.2 108K.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Member #1
post #8 of 44 Old 01-13-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
K10roc

we are going to Ishpaming Mi, we head up that way about 9 - 10 times a winter, just got the wife a new yamaha vector so she is ready to rip!

I used a fish tape to feed the wires though the headliner, just cleaner that way, and looks better IMO. you always see wires somewhere when you do them under the carpet and on the sides. first time i have done this, was actually a buddies idea that is a electrician, he said "ahh get me a fish tape ill pull that through in one min"... then his ex called and he had to go get his daughter, needless to say, took me a bit longer than 1 min, but i got it done..... the lights where super cheap! like 11 bucks per pair, they are from Northerntool.com

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Northern Industrial Mini Wide Beam Sportlight Kit ó 12 Volt [/FONT]

before you buy look around they have some nice stuff!

I did replace all the bolts with stainless... if i would have had more time i would have blasted down the lights and powder coated them... but ill do that this spring when i do the roof rack (i own a powdercoating company)

I pre wired the harness for the lights inside off the truck and mesured out my spacing so all i had to do was plug it in and wrap it up. made thing so much faster, rather than having to solder and crap on the roof of the truck

if you have any questions or i can help in any way let me know... this site is awesome and has helped me out of alot of jams!!!

here are some pics of when i set it up... i pulled off the rack, marked my holes

punched it to mark it

Joe K.
2000 Jeep grand WJ limited, 245/75/16, Thrust 2 chamber muffler, 2in bb, rough country shocks, slotted and drilled rotors, Torqflo trans cooler, powder coated calipers, custom made CAI, K&N cone filter, ported and polished throttle body, Chip, Torqflo trans cooler, 6000k HID, PIAA fog, lots of powder coating and blacked out parts
post #9 of 44 Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 PM
MoparBoy01

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice.

1998 ZJ 4.0L-Trail Rig
1998 ZJ Black 5.9L-Prerunner/Daily Driver
1999 XJ 4.0L-Daily Driver/sometimes a weekend warrior
Down and Dirty Offroad Club Member
ddoffroad.com
post #10 of 44 Old 01-13-2010, 10:26 PM
jerryjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I used the same mini-halogen driving lights from Northern Tool Supply but they were custom cut into a 2" x2" black anodized aluminum fence post I picked up at Menard's. Then mounted the post under my roof basket for some added protection. When all 6 are fired up, it is really bright. Kept the wiring clean and out of the way to avoud snagging in the trees. So far, so good!

post #11 of 44 Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Joshcop
1999 WJ 

Awesome! I'm dead serious that I was looking at my 99 GC yesterday and wondering if anyone has mounted lights on the crossbar for the luggage rack, and how it would look.... I came out here tonight and immediately stumbled across this thread! Looks great. I'll be ripping off your idea very soon and doing it to mine! Those lights look like a nice slimline design, which is good because my gas mileage is marginal already and I didn't want to add the proverbial stack-of-bricks lights to mine and kill the MPG. How is the NOISE of those at highway speeds? I'm just wondering because when I switch from a "slicktop" (no lightbar) car to a bar-equipped one at work (I'm a police officer), the first thing I notice is the constant noise at highway (and much higher, heh-heh) speeds from the lights and the aero gap under the bar from the mounting. Lastly, for the $, are those lights really worth it as far as brightness, and/or does it take all 5 to make a difference? I was considering just adding 2, *maybe* 4, and don't want to put a huge pull on a stock alternator by running a bunch in line. Thanks in advance for responding.
post #12 of 44 Old 01-14-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
K10roc

the stock alternator will be fine, it produces plenty of power, mine are wired to 2 switches, one for 2 one for 3 and then i can turn them both on of course for all 5. two is nice when i am on some country roads, 3 i turned on when it was just nasty and snowing, and 5 is for when i am in need of some serious slight, they give off a flood style light, not a beam. so it just makes everything around you light up. I angled my lights so the outside 2 are facing a bit out to spread the light. on the highway i have not heard anything from them at all... drive it all the time to get into the shop and not a sound!

Joe K.
post #13 of 44 Old 01-14-2010, 08:37 AM
doublejz
2004 WJ 

looks good.

Not to steal his thunder but I didn't something similar a while back with hellas.

OEM Roof Rack with Hellas - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

04 WJ with some stuff -

post #14 of 44 Old 01-14-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
K10roc

steal my thunder, hell no man, i stole from you!!! that is where i got the idea, only i wanted mine to be a bit lower to the light bar and did not have the $$$$ for the Hellas... that looks great!

Joe K.
post #15 of 44 Old 01-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Robinfortmill
1996 ZJ 

Lights look great. I think that going to be my next project

1996 ZJ, 4.0L, 3.73 Gears, Select-Trac, Flowmaster Exhaust, Mopar Roof Rack Basket, E3 plugs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in