Lifting, trimming/spacing setup help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-27-2020, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Sjmoore

Lifting, trimming/spacing setup help

I used to have a 98 Jeep Grand I bought already built with 32 11.50’s and a 4” lift. I loved it so much. In looking for a nice older one with low miles I finally gave up and am getting a WJ 2004, which is actually cool because it has life features. My question is with a 2-3” lift how tall of tires can I go and what options do I have for spacing and trimming? I don’t want to make it too tall, but I don’t see the point in lifting if I can’t fit 31” up to the 285 or 275/75/16 size. I know there’s been this question before but I would replace trim bumpers etc. I’m new to this so any help is greatly appreciated. Not sure what size it will have tires stock but my 2014 I’m selling has 245/70/16 and they’re too small.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-27-2020, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Sjmoore

There’s an autocorrect mishap in there lol but I don’t know how to edit. Thanks guys
post #3 of 7 Old 02-27-2020, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Sjmoore

And will a 4” lift work? I’ve heard mixed reviews that they cause problems while others say they don’t... I’m aware of the all wheel drive V8 models so I’m looking at true 4x4 v6 models only

post #4 of 7 Old 02-27-2020, 12:08 PM
smokeyyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmoore View Post
And will a 4 lift work? Ive heard mixed reviews that they cause problems while others say they dont... Im aware of the all wheel drive V8 models so Im looking at true 4x4 v6 models only
No V6 WJs.......

You don't need 4" lift to clear. I need to trim a little on the front bottom rocker but that was it. 3" is the max to effectively run stock arms above that you need adjustables and just better off going with long arms.

This is my junk 3" on 32ish

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #5 of 7 Old 02-27-2020, 10:21 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Same here, I have 3" in the front, and 2" in the rear to level mine out, and 32' tires. I have done some extensive trimming to the front bumper(removed the lower sections containing the driving lights-still have the washer bottle)and the front of each rear wheelwell to clear with the sway bars connected. Im sure that i would hit if i unhooked the sway bars off road. I am saving for my longarm kit, so here is where i will be for a little while. There is a LOT of info in this site and the Interwebs about this. Dont be afraid to search a little and see if you can find something that looks like what you want and copy it.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #6 of 7 Old 02-28-2020, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Sjmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
Quote:
And will a 4” lift work? I’ve heard mixed reviews that they cause problems while others say they don’t... I’m aware of the all wheel drive V8 models so I’m looking at true 4x4 v6 models only
No V6 WJs.......

You don't need 4" lift to clear. I need to trim a little on the front bottom rocker but that was it. 3" is the max to effectively run stock arms above that you need adjustables and just better off going with long arms.

This is my junk 3" on 32ish

Sorry I meant inline six I was driving and posting lmao. Where did you find a 3” kit all I find is 2” and 4”. I’m looking a few XJ’s now too, I used to have one they’re just so expensive now. Thanks for the info guys. Do the WJ’s handle a 4” lift well? My local 4x4 shop said sometimes yes but sometimes they have driveshaft and transfer case issues, and I’m referring to the inline 6’s I was told to avoid quadradrive. Thanks
post #7 of 7 Old 02-28-2020, 10:12 AM
smokeyyank

Quote:
Sorry I meant inline six I was driving and posting lmao. Where did you find a 3 kit all I find is 2 and 4. Im looking a few XJs now too, I used to have one theyre just so expensive now. Thanks for the info guys. Do the WJs handle a 4 lift well? My local 4x4 shop said sometimes yes but sometimes they have driveshaft and transfer case issues, and Im referring to the inline 6s I was told to avoid quadradrive. Thanks
Ironrock offroad, OME both have good kits. Kolak who's a vendor on here can you parts. OME is slightly under 3". WJ handles a 4" lift well with long arms, I wouldn't run SA but you can. Really just becomes for the cost difference you're better stepping up to long arms at above 3". Quadrive isn't bad just that the tcase can fail and they are expensive to fix. Plus side is you get a decent traction set up straight from the factory. I swapped out my 247 for a 242 and added a lunchbox to the rear. XJ's are going to be cheaper to mod ad driveline is better all around IMHO. WJ is a hello of a lot more comfortable though. I've had them all, I would get an XJ again but needed the space of a WJ. I agree they are pricey now but good deals are out there. I just sold a 99 with an upcountry package and 168k on it for $3500

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in