Lift and Weight Issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-22-2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
TC2411
2003 WJ 

Question Lift and Weight Issues

Hello Everyone. I have an 03 overland with a 4" long arm lift right now. It worked flawlessly with little accessories added to it. It now squats pretty good with the extras i have put on. The lift is only a year old so i'm sure its not sagging. I put on front and rear flatland bumpers, winch and mounted the spare tire outside (no room - Tank tuck completed). I also mounted 2 jerrycans for fuel. I built a kitchen complete with an ARB fridge as well as a box for all recovery gear and dry goods. Both of these are made out of aluminium. I took off the factory roof rack and made one out of 2" aluminum pipe which also can be filled with water (5.5 gallons) for showering, providing water to wash the dishes or to clean the mud out of the rad etc. I just bought a roof top tent and mounted it as well. I have no problem getting down the highway or going offroad in the mountains, it's just that i have very limited travel now for any articulation. Question is do i go with Clayton 4.5" springs which give me a higher spring rate (225lb instead of 188lb- RC) or should i go the 6" of the same spring rate. Of course i will change to the matching Bilstein shocks. Also, If i go with a higher lift, does it affect the hill climbing ability of my rig? Definately need words of wisdom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-23-2018, 06:38 AM
Motorcharge

1999 WJ 

It's really kind of a wash depending on how the weight effects it. It's going to ride worse with stiffer springs to get to the same height, but given the weight a taller spring may just compress to where you want it to sit. The current springs are likely compressed more than they should be due to the added weight. Easiest way to confirm this would be to pull off heavy items and see if it comes back up.

And yes, the higher you sit the higher your center of gravity which is a big factor in climbing.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|SOLD|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-23-2018, 09:25 AM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

Spring rate is a rating that's assigned based on how many lbs. it takes to compress the spring one inch.

Your RC springs are rated at 188 lbs, but there's 2 per axle, so it would take 376 lbs to compress them 1". Clayton would put you at 450 lbs.

This thread has some great info about the available spring rates for WJ's:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...rates-4317125/

You've add a lot of weight to your WJ, between the bumpers, the roof top tent (those several hundred pounds on their own depending on what size you've got) and your mini-kitchen. You're also carrying a decent amount of liquid between the spare the fuel and water you can carry in the roof rack, not to mention any other cargo you toss in (coolers, water bottles, clothing, etc.)

I would personally go with the highest rate springs I could get if I were in a similar situation. In this case that would be the BDS/Zone 4" springs rated at 240 lbs front and rear. However you're still going to experience sag due to the weight, at that point you may need to look at some 1" spacers to help retain your wheel well clearance.

Stepping up to 6" springs through Clayton or IRO will yield you the same rear weight capacity, but the fronts are a bit lighter, so front spacers may be necessary still. On top of that you'll likely need new shocks as well.

I don't know what your preferred terrain type is, but I have a buddy that wheeled with a Tepui rooftop tent at 6" of lift and he said the weight transfer on off camber situations after the tent was added was pretty unsettling. He ended up selling it shortly after.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
This is easily the worst post, and thread, I have ever seen in 7 years of being on JF.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-23-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
TC2411
2003 WJ 

That's a great explanation Jeeples. I did talk to the Reps at Rough Country and they confirmed the spring rates at 180lbs for front and 188lb for the rear on the 4" lift springs. Maybe we could add that info to the chart.

I do moderate to difficult trails. I'm thinking that I will not go the 6" route considering your comment about the off camber situation.

FYI, the weight of the RTT is 135lbs. I have noticed a slight difference when off-roading but I'm always mind full of the fact it's up there.

Right now, I find the springs too soft and the shocks don't really control the springs. I'll go to a heavier spring and a better quality shock. Any suggestions on the shocks? Bilsteins?

Also, where can I find the 1" rear spacers that you talked about?
post #5 of 7 Old 08-23-2018, 10:35 AM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

You may consider Airlift bags

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #6 of 7 Old 08-23-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
TC2411
2003 WJ 

Ravenworks…. How do the airlift bags hold up to the offroading aspect. Would be good for carrying the weight of a load
post #7 of 7 Old 08-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2411 View Post
That's a great explanation Jeeples. I did talk to the Reps at Rough Country and they confirmed the spring rates at 180lbs for front and 188lb for the rear on the 4" lift springs. Maybe we could add that info to the chart.

I do moderate to difficult trails. I'm thinking that I will not go the 6" route considering your comment about the off camber situation.

FYI, the weight of the RTT is 135lbs. I have noticed a slight difference when off-roading but I'm always mind full of the fact it's up there.

Right now, I find the springs too soft and the shocks don't really control the springs. I'll go to a heavier spring and a better quality shock. Any suggestions on the shocks? Bilsteins?

Also, where can I find the 1" rear spacers that you talked about?

I find the Bilsteins to be a little soft, at least when paired to the standard IRO springs. Fox has a full line offering for the WJ now for lifts up to 8", from what I've heard the 2.0 IFP series are a little stiffer compared to the Bilstein 5100's. Paired with a heavier rated springs they should provide the control you're looking for with a Jeep that typically runs heavy.

I've seen 1" (and other size) spacers on eBay and Amazon, but don't have any experience with any of the vendors so I can't really recommend one over the other.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
This is easily the worst post, and thread, I have ever seen in 7 years of being on JF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in