1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 Old 10-17-2020, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ60 View Post
A 1/2" difference in a vehicle that heavy should have no consequences, but then again, I'm not an engineer either. Lol. I once owned a truck that showed numbers like yours and it ended up being the frame. I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.
Yeah well ... I hesitate to admit this but I AM an engineer! Engineering is sort of the science of getting it close enough to do it's job, so I really don't care about a 1/2" difference if it works. But that is the problem: the performance is not acceptable, so we chase the obvious issues first.

I swapped the springs today, both ends. No measurements because I am tired, but first test drive was good. Will see if it holds up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 10-17-2020, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post
The "A" coils go on the driver side. I remember comparing the rear coils also but can't remember whether mine were labeled or not. I know when my lift was all said and done, my 2002 was pretty level all around, so I knew I had it right. Clocking the springs properly is also very important to the install. I added new isolators during my lift and just double checked everything along the way. I hope this helps you in some way and good luck!
Front coils have A/B stickers, rear do not. I had front B on the left side, A on the right, so I swapped them. Then I swapped the rears too. Reseated all the coils in the isolators (obviously), got them good and snug up to the rubber stops. Side-by-side compare shows the spring I had on the left rear is clearly shorter. Pic shows the level bubble WAY over to the right.

Also found evidence of tire rub on the left front control arm. Also minor rubs on front bumper both sides.

Finally noticed the IRO track bar lock nut was loose. Do not know if this is a big deal or not but I tightened it as well as I could.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20201017_132610897~3_1602980763032.jpg  
WJ60 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 20 Old 10-18-2020, 01:04 AM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

I have the IRO 3in and noticed after about a year that one of the corners was visibly lower than the other. I thought it was my parking location, but hub-to-fender measurements on level ground showed it was about 1/2" low. I had no issues, other than an OCD alarm in my head I did my best to ignore. I chalked it up to thrust angle force to make myself sleep better. Just did a rear axle swap (JK489) and new isolators, now she sits dead on level (though about an inch higher than on the D35). I was not careful to mark left/right side, so it's possible I swapped them, don't really know. I doubt your spring height differences are to blame for poor handling, however. That would tend to be CA bushings, ball joints, TREs, caster, etc.

JEEP. making mechanics out of ordinary folks since 1940.

post #19 of 20 Old 10-18-2020, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Seems like springs should not be sagging after only one year. If they do, why bother replacing them?

post #20 of 20 Old 10-18-2020, 05:09 PM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanWJ View Post
Seems like springs should not be sagging after only one year. If they do, why bother replacing them?
it's both possible and somewhat plausible that it sat crooked from the beginning but I just didn't notice it - like I said, the exact same springs/shocks (now 5.5yrs old) sit dead level on fresh isolators and a new rear axle. The perch could have been bent, the disconnected (and now reconnected) sway bar may have contributed, amount of consistent load, the control arms, all sorts of things. I've learned through the last few years some things are just the way they are and if it's not causing an actual problem not to bother my head about it.

JEEP. making mechanics out of ordinary folks since 1940.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in