Laundry list.... - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By BeetleCamry
  • 1 Post By Mike1376

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-22-2020, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Mike1376

Laundry list....

First post in a LONG time. Previously I was living in NC and had an ‘05 WK. (I miss that hemi).

Now I live in NJ, I have had my ‘99 WJ for just over a year now. Details on it are below.
Since I’ve owned it I haven’t really done anything with it except oil changes and front brakes w/fluid flush.

It needs engine mounts, suspension all around, all new front end bushings/track bar, tie-rods etc. rear brakes (including E-brake) HVAC blower motor quit working, wheel bearings AND I’m sure there’s a few other things.

This is my first WJ. Are there things I need to look out for while working on it, best practices, anything unique to these beasts...?

I appreciate all info/insight y’all got for me! It’s good to be back

1999 JGC Limited
4.7, QT II transfer case
174k miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-22-2020, 04:28 PM
wjkeith

Garage
None of those tasks are overwhelming for a decent home mechanic.
Iíve been refreshing mine for the past one and a half years and have done the things you have on your list at the rear and am now moving towards the front.
The obvious place to start is the most needed repair. Whatís the one that will leave you stranded or worse killed. Do those first. I have a spiral notebook with my wants and needs written down in it. Each month or when funds and time align I alternate between a want and a need. In between those will come the surprises. Alternator, water pump, hoses, belts and tensioners, ac work, etc. None of this is hard to do. If youíre replacing a water pump for example, change the belt, tensioner, idler, thermostat and upper and lower hoses if youíre unsure of their age. These are old cars but very easy and cheap as a diy.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-22-2020, 05:03 PM
BeetleCamry

2004 WJ 

In addition, @Kolak on here is very helpful and can get you good quality parts. My 04 had a completely collapsed suspension and he helped me decide on Bilstein 4800/upcountry springs/isolators and now it rides like a dream. I'll be doing what was mentioned above soon (cooling parts and pulleys) and after that the front bushings and track bars and sruff. Most things on the 4.0 Jeeps last a long time or are easy fixes. Just do a few things per month and always start with the cheaper things and troubleshoot up to more expensive.
Kolak likes this.

2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition / Quadra-Trac-2 / Midnight Blue Pearl

post #4 of 11 Old 02-22-2020, 07:25 PM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

I lived in NC and moved to NJ, too. Where in NJ are you?

Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-22-2020, 07:27 PM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Your list sounds intimidating, but it's very doable, even for a driveway job. Any thought on lifting it while you're replacing all of the suspension parts?

Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 01:04 PM
ParkerStovall42

I've done everything you mentioned, none of it is particularly difficult. Keep in mind you'll be battling twenty years of corrosion while removing every fastener. Map gas and a breaker bar will be your best friend. I don't recommend using an impact, I snapped a few bolts before I got wise with mine. The tie rod ends are a bear, get a couple of the large pipe wrenches from harbor freight and a buddy to help yank. There are an absolute ton of 'while I'm down here' maintenance items to consider as well. Fuel filter, dropping the tank to replace the pump, swapping to the akebono calipers while you have the brakes removed anyway, service the diffs since access is easy, service the trans since access is easy, et al.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-25-2020, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Mike1376

Thanks for all the replies y’all.
Yeah I’ve done all this before just not on the sane vehicle.
I got it when I first moved here so I know there’ll definitely be the corrosion issue. That will most certainly rear it’s ugly head!!!
I did do the front brakes and upgraded the calipers to the akebono (ap). I didn’t encounter any corrosion issues on that oddly enough. I’ve got to post a picture of the front left assembly.....catastrophic brake destruction. I had to limp it to the auto hobby shop on base. The front left, inboard brake pad had slipped out, the caliper over extended and locked against the rotor. 😬
post #8 of 11 Old 02-25-2020, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Mike1376

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918 View Post
I lived in NC and moved to NJ, too. Where in NJ are you?
I’m actually active duty military. I PCS’d up here. I miss NC! I live on post now.
Whereboutst you live? That’s funny, what are the odds someone else on this site made that same move!
post #9 of 11 Old 02-25-2020, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Mike1376

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleCamry View Post
In addition, @Kolak on here is very helpful and can get you good quality parts. My 04 had a completely collapsed suspension and he helped me decide on Bilstein 4800/upcountry springs/isolators and now it rides like a dream. I'll be doing what was mentioned above soon (cooling parts and pulleys) and after that the front bushings and track bars and sruff. Most things on the 4.0 Jeeps last a long time or are easy fixes. Just do a few things per month and always start with the cheaper things and troubleshoot up to more expensive.
Thanks for that. It’s always helpful to know a good connection for getting the correct, quality parts. I always get nervous at chain auto parts stores (seems like they’re stuff is getting worse and worse). I especially get nervous ordering online
post #10 of 11 Old 02-25-2020, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Mike1376

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918 View Post
Your list sounds intimidating, but it's very doable, even for a driveway job. Any thought on lifting it while you're replacing all of the suspension parts?
I’m absolutely going to do a lift. On my ‘05 WK I installed the rough country 2” and it seemed decent for what it was. I never really do any hard core rock crawls or super deep mud holes but I do love to go trail riding and hit some challenging terrain
post #11 of 11 Old 02-25-2020, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Mike1376

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjkeith View Post
None of those tasks are overwhelming for a decent home mechanic.
I’ve been refreshing mine for the past one and a half years and have done the things you have on your list at the rear and am now moving towards the front.
The obvious place to start is the most needed repair. What’s the one that will leave you stranded or worse killed. Do those first. I have a spiral notebook with my wants and needs written down in it. Each month or when funds and time align I alternate between a want and a need. In between those will come the surprises. Alternator, water pump, hoses, belts and tensioners, ac work, etc. None of this is hard to do. If you’re replacing a water pump for example, change the belt, tensioner, idler, thermostat and upper and lower hoses if you’re unsure of their age. These are old cars but very easy and cheap as a diy.
Great advice in there. Thank you. I’m by no means an expert but I do have years of wrench turning and knuckle banging experience. Most of that from my time working at a 2 bay garage in Washington state. Then a few old mopars I owned that I semi-restored and kept them on the road.
I definitely need to do the front end and suspension..... I don’t even let my wife drive it more than a couple miles and nothing over 35mph. I’ve driven plenty of vehicles with loose front ends so I can “feel” it but; this is obviously NOT ideal.

I’ll for sure need help while doing the front end. It’s a different set up than anything I’ve seen before. I know I can figure it out as I go but I’ll be on here asking questions. A lot
wjkeith likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in