Last stupid question... coil bolts thread not engaging - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 05-21-2020, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
fmradio516

Last stupid question... coil bolts thread not engaging

So I went an changed some spark plugs this morning on my 2004 4.0. I did this a few months ago but noticed #1 and #6 were full of oil, thats when i realized my valve cover gasket was leaking. so I bought 2 new plugs and replaced my gasket this past weekend. So i went in to replace the two spark plugs. Everything went fine until i went to bolt the coil pack back on (the rail type). I evenly hand turned all 4 bolts until i couldnt anymore. then did a turn or so on each so they tightened evenly. but went i got to the last bolt, closest to the firewall as soon as I started turning it with the socket, it loosened up as if the threads arent engaging.

I tried pushing down on the coil pack, but it doesnt seem to wanna go down further. Tried pushing the bolt itself. Nada. loosened all the bolts again. Swapped that bolt with another and its still doing the same thing. I tightened the other 3 to 29nm and then hand turned the last one until snug. Went for a drive and its driving fine, but i dont like this.

Am i not seating the coils onto the plugs right? I feel the mating interfaces of the block/coil pack where the bolts go through and they are touching as expected. Need longer bolts?

Next thing ill try is putting that bolt in with the coil pack completely removed. I really dont think i stripped it. Barely torqued it after hand tightening.

Edit: found a possible new bolt! See below!

2004 Grand Cherokee Limited that I dont know much about :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-21-2020, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
fmradio516

anyone know what size bolt this is? Thinking of trying to find a slightly longer one to engage some different threads..

Otherwise, do people ever drive with only 3 out of 4 bolts tight? Seems like the stiction alone would hold the coils onto the spark plugs with 3 bolts tightened to spec.

post #3 of 20 Old 05-21-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
fmradio516

Was thinking of putting some plumbers tape on the threads of the bolt to see if it would catch better. Is that a bad idea for screwing into the head?

post #4 of 20 Old 05-21-2020, 01:35 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Assuming it's otherwise installed correctly I wouldn't think twice about just running 3 bolts. Heck just one should technically do the job since the rail is rigid. It's not going to flop around on you or anything.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-21-2020, 03:08 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'd question why the coil pack bolts tightened down before on the old plugs but now the bolt(s) towards the back aren't tightening or catching the threads anymore after replacing #1 & #6 plugs? And were these plugs fairly new before and why wouldn't you replace all 6 plugs? What's the brand and plug part number?

I know that last plug near the firewall is the hardest to install on the 4.0 and is it seated all the way in the hole/head while not cross-threaded? I'd also check and make sure something isn't stuck in the coil rail rear port causing it to not seat down all the way. You shouldn't have to buy longer bolts when the old ones worked before. Good luck.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 20 Old 05-21-2020, 03:11 PM
Photoweborama

1999 WJ 

I agree you will be just fine, but the neurotic part of me would drive me crazy knowing it not there! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 20 Old 05-21-2020, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
fmradio516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
I'd question why the coil pack bolts tightened down before on the old plugs but now the bolt(s) towards the back aren't tightening or catching the threads anymore after replacing #1 & #6 plugs? And were these plugs fairly new before and why wouldn't you replace all 6 plugs? What's the brand and plug part number?

I know that last plug near the firewall is the hardest to install on the 4.0 and is it seated all the way in the hole/head while not cross-threaded? I'd also check and make sure something isn't stuck in the coil rail rear port causing it to not seat down all the way. You shouldn't have to buy longer bolts when the old ones worked before. Good luck.
Replaced all 6 about 5 months ago but wanted replace 1 an 6 again because the valve cover gasket was leaking onto those when i took the old ones out. they were oily. So i replace the gasket this weekend and wanted to refresh those two plugs..

So I noticed the bolt had kinda flat threads at the beginning so I wanted to try a replacement anyway.

Found a match at the hardware store. I added a washer to make it the same length threaded portion. I also added anti-seize.

It tightened down! Will I have issues regarding the finish of this new bolt? Like seizing up or something. Am I better off with no bolt at all?

Thanks!

post #8 of 20 Old 05-21-2020, 04:09 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Replaced all 6 about 5 months ago but wanted replace 1 an 6 again because the valve cover gasket was leaking onto those when i took the old ones out. they were oily. So i replace the gasket this weekend and wanted to refresh those two plugs..

So I noticed the bolt had kinda flat threads at the beginning so I wanted to try a replacement anyway.

Found a match at the hardware store. I added a washer to make it the same length threaded portion. I also added anti-seize.

It tightened down! Will I have issues regarding the finish of this new bolt? Like seizing up or something. Am I better off with no bolt at all?

Thanks!

It could have been the threads on that older bolt tip were starting to strip or whatever it threaded into. That zinc protective coating shouldn't have any adverse effects and you should be fine using it.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

post #9 of 20 Old 05-21-2020, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
fmradio516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
It could have been the threads on that older bolt tip were starting to strip or whatever it threaded into. That zinc protective coating shouldn't have any adverse effects and you should be fine using it.
Thank you very much!

post #10 of 20 Old 05-21-2020, 04:46 PM
JoMc67

Garage
You could always move the bolts around front to back to see there’s any issues.
post #11 of 20 Old 05-22-2020, 02:58 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
D.U.N done....Run it!

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #12 of 20 Old 05-22-2020, 06:19 AM
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

fmradio516, I must admit I admire your confidence that this is your last stupid question - I think it's one thing I'll never be able to say!! In fairness are there any stupid questions, as if you need to ask something then there is something that you are not clear on and it ain't stupid to be asking.

That's my opinion and I will no doubt ask questions that other people will find dumb, but I will ask if I don't know. You can always start the enquiry with 'Just asking for a friend..................'

I think your bolt will be fine.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-23-2020, 12:41 AM
Klarah523

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HampshireWJ View Post
fmradio516, I must admit I admire your confidence that this is your last stupid question - I think it's one thing I'll never be able to say!! In fairness are there any stupid questions, as if you need to ask something then there is something that you are not clear on and it ain't stupid to be asking.

That's my opinion and I will no doubt ask questions that other people will find dumb, but I will ask if I don't know. You can always start the enquiry with 'Just asking for a friend..................'

I've found that asking a stupid question is the fastest way to get an answer on a forum, people will leap on it to correct me
HampshireWJ likes this.

2000 WJ (Laredo w/ 4.0L)
post #14 of 20 Old 05-23-2020, 12:43 AM
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Klarah, just asking for a friend?
slickrock steve and Klarah523 like this.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-23-2020, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
fmradio516

Quote:
Originally Posted by HampshireWJ View Post

Heh I should have been more careful with my words. What REALLY happened was I thought my head might have stripped so I panicked because i needed to drive the car yesterday. I was really kicking myself for doing this and was really desperate and worried that I might have really screwed myself even though I know i didnt torque it enough to strip even an aluminum head. I hate having to bring a car to a shop after failing to do something so simple like getting a bolt in

Im sure ill have more questions. Especially since this weekend ill be doing my front brake pads and rotors because only the inside pads are working; outside pads arent getting engaged. At first glance, my rotor looks and feels great, but feel the backside and its scary! Ive done brakes before, just not on this jeep. Hope the bolts arent seized!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in