Last ditch efforts? DW post - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 02-07-2020, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
snyper82
2000 WJ 

Garage
Last ditch efforts? DW post

This may be farewell, lol, so somber. My attempt to cure death wobble have ended in just frustration. After replacing basically the entire suspension on the Jeep, and having a shop that specializes in modified Jeep look at it, my WJ has gone to market. Apparently some WJs never get cured???

Anyways, if there are suggestions, shoot em to me because the rest of the Jeep is awesome, low miles (116k), solid engine, good tranny, new parts, working 4WD, clean interior, new tires. Man this sucks. Wit the money I can spend for a new ride, I can't afford anything quite this nice (06 4runner with 263k mi or 03 liberty with 180k).

Anyways, looking for last efforts

(Alignment, balance, ball joints, track bar, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, upper and lower adjustable control arms, brought from 4" lift to 2.5", and new sway bar links have been replace or done)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-07-2020, 08:08 PM
007matman

Which Trac bar do you have?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 34 Old 02-07-2020, 08:16 PM
DavesJeep101

You said balance but have you rotated, etc? In a perfect world having a different set wheels and tires to rule them out would be optimal.

post #4 of 34 Old 02-07-2020, 08:31 PM
Reech
2001 WJ 

Did you try the upper control arm bushings (axle side)? When I changed those, the entire ride of my jeep changed. I had done other things as well much as you have done but nothing was fixing it. Upper control arm bushings did the trick. Another thing I would possibly look at is if the upper mounting hole for your track bar is wallered out. A common issue with a rather simple fix of just welding a washer over the bolt holes for the track bar.
post #5 of 34 Old 02-07-2020, 09:30 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

IM baffled what triggers it. had twice in one day last month hitting small bumps.
i have new tb and s stab not on yet. today i drove on similar hwys,hitting bumps
at 50 to 70 mph, NOTHING!!
bumps just regular stuff on interstate...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #6 of 34 Old 02-08-2020, 09:20 AM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper82 View Post
This may be farewell, lol, so somber. My attempt to cure death wobble have ended in just frustration. After replacing basically the entire suspension on the Jeep, and having a shop that specializes in modified Jeep look at it, my WJ has gone to market. Apparently some WJs never get cured???

Anyways, if there are suggestions, shoot em to me because the rest of the Jeep is awesome, low miles (116k), solid engine, good tranny, new parts, working 4WD, clean interior, new tires. Man this sucks. Wit the money I can spend for a new ride, I can't afford anything quite this nice (06 4runner with 263k mi or 03 liberty with 180k).

Anyways, looking for last efforts

(Alignment, balance, ball joints, track bar, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, upper and lower adjustable control arms, brought from 4" lift to 2.5", and new sway bar links have been replace or done)
Perhaps your bearing hubs need replaced. That's the last component I can think of.

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #7 of 34 Old 02-08-2020, 09:33 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I had terrible death wobble in my One-tonned full size blazer. I changed everything under the sun in the front end of that truck, until i finally added a second steering stabilizer to my drag link(yes, from the steering box to the RH knuckle) It was a cheap little factory type stabilizer, but it was enough of a change in just the right place to make my death wobble go away entirely. After countless hours on the interwebs researching this issue, i found that some trucks have just the right angles, combined with just a little bit of play/wear in the steering box, and then a heavy tire and wheel combo that just is the perfect storm. Wheel backspacing and balance are critical as well. We love those wide tires that stick out of the fenders and look cool, but that look is exactly wrong for fighting death wobble. I would be looking for a cheap set of stock wheels and tires to try just for a test, and then see if there is play in the steering box. ANY play at all can cause problems. Rig up a secondary steering stabilizer on the drag link, (even just for temporary testing purposes) and see what happens....Its frustrating... believe me...i know. Good luck
97Mule likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #8 of 34 Old 02-08-2020, 10:34 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Last ditch ... Put a factory suspension under it. Go to boneyard and pull old springs if you don't have originals. Get Detroit Axle control arm kits front and rear; they are good factory replacements at great price. Go bone stock and see if DW goes away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #9 of 34 Old 02-08-2020, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
snyper82
2000 WJ 

Garage
The trac bar is a JKS.

You guys are awesome, I'll look at some of the other things mentioned, unfortunately I don't have regular set of tires and I can't got stock without buying tires, I'm at a point now where I will only spend money of there is a sure fix, not just to test (pivot point between selling and keeping).

wheel hub could be an issue; it had grease all over the inside of the last wheels I pulled off (it had 33's on it when it was lifted 4", caused all kinds of things to fail).

I was hoping to be done with correcting DW by now and moving on to some cosmetic stuff, it's just getting old...
Attached Thumbnails
WJ_FrontUnder.jpg  
post #10 of 34 Old 02-08-2020, 01:27 PM
007matman

I would put some KOR bushings in that trac-bar. I had the red ones from JKS too and they were a bit soft.

I'd also swap out that factory steering stabilizer.

Edit: here's a link: https://kevinsoffroad.com/collection...s-with-sleeves

post #11 of 34 Old 02-08-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
snyper82
2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I would put some KOR bushings in that trac-bar. I had the red ones from JKS too and they were a bit soft.

The steering stabilizer is 2 weeks old! lol, the one I got put on in Aug (moab) was fried already... this thing eats stabilizers for breakfast.

Actually, everything listed has been replaced since around March of last year... granted it's been death wobbled quite a bit since then.

IDK, would you put more into it or just replace it? it's about a $2K rig because it needs paint and a Frankenstein (2wd converted to 4wd)
post #12 of 34 Old 02-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Seriously, get the clamp on brackets and mount another steering stabilizer to the drag link. Put one end on the drag link, then the other on the trackbar and see what it does. All the reading i did, mentioned the oscillations traveling up the drag link, and backwards into the power steering gear box, then the power assist happening inside there amplifying the effect up into the steering wheel. and then traveling back down the steering wheel and back into the gear box, like a never ending cycle. If you absorb the oscillations traveling UP the draglink with another stabilizer, you break the cycle... It was the only thing that worked on my Blazer. Afterward i was able to drive it down the freeway at 80 MPH without fear of DW. Before that, i couldn't even drive it to the grocery store without fighting it.

I also wonder about the 2wd steering box? Is it different than the 4wd version? Maybe that is a place to look as well. If the part #'s are different 2wd to 4wd, i would be very curious as to why....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #13 of 34 Old 02-08-2020, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
snyper82
2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Seriously, get the clamp on brackets and mount another steering stabilizer to the drag link. Put one end on the drag link, then the other on the trackbar and see what it does. All the reading i did, mentioned the oscillations traveling up the drag link, and backwards into the power steering gear box, then the power assist happening inside there amplifying the effect up into the steering wheel. and then traveling back down the steering wheel and back into the gear box, like a never ending cycle. If you absorb the oscillations traveling UP the draglink with another stabilizer, you break the cycle... It was the only thing that worked on my Blazer. Afterward i was able to drive it down the freeway at 80 MPH without fear of DW. Before that, i couldn't even drive it to the grocery store without fighting it.

I also wonder about the 2wd steering box? Is it different than the 4wd version? Maybe that is a place to look as well. If the part #'s are different 2wd to 4wd, i would be very curious as to why....

hmm, before I thought of selling it, I did want to replace the steering with a redhead, it had 33s on it which, I'm sure, caused some damage to that steering box. I was just reading up on a second steering stabilizer in the wobble kit from kevins... oh man, I may rescue this thing after all....
post #14 of 34 Old 02-08-2020, 09:56 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post

I had the same issue with the red JKS bushings, they flex too much. If you don't wan't to go through the expense of KOR bushings and your trac-bar holes are wallowed, you might try the MOOG bushings for a RAM 3500. They are mostly metal with very little rubber and quite solid! That and a new stabilizer solved my DW.
post #15 of 34 Old 02-09-2020, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
snyper82
2000 WJ 

Garage
Ok, so I think I'll give it a go with dual stabilizers, new bushings on the track bar, new upper control arm bushings, ball joints, all the rod ends, hub assemblies (and axles), and shocks. Roughly $800 of parts. After that, get it aligned and see the results. It's kind of the total list on this thread!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in