The journey begins (build) - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 03-14-2021, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
spottedfrog

1979 CJ5 

The journey begins (build)

I may be posting prematurely, as I'm still gathering all my parts. I think I have a pretty clear vision now of the final product. So far I have a very clean '99 WJ with 4.7 and Quadratrac II.
I now have waiting to be installed: IRO 6.5" long arms front and rear with Bilsteins, Trail Forged radiator skid/mount, waiting on HK offroad Overland bumper, Quadratrack Q9000 winch (synthetic line), IRO skid plate, Rubicon 17's, A D44 from a JK with 4.88's ARB locker and other farkles, ARB for a JK front D30, a Vair compressor.

Plan is to run that with a front JK D30, re gear to 4:58, and 35's (as going to go 33's but figure I'd just end up at 35 any way). Going to get the high clearance rock sliders from HK Offroad, and probably their tire carrier. I was thinking of a 242 swap, but I know I'm going to miss the 4:1 I just left from my CJ, so after weighing my options an Atlas may be in order. 241OR is possible but would come out the same or more cost wise, 231s dont have a 4:1 kit any more and the kit made them fragile, D300 is awesome but to run it on a WJ it would cost as much as an Atlas. A crawl box would be a great option but the WJ doesnt seem like a great candidate.

This WJ will pull daily duties as well as the interstate trip. But should be capable of any trail I care to throw its way.

the starting point:

For now I'm just driving this Jeep, collecting all the parts
Would love to hear from any one who has done an Atlas in their WJ, pictures of how the sticks were routed how the install went ect.
EDIT FOR UP DATE: Have now ordered the HK Offroad rock sliders as well as the spare tire carrier. I now have a JK Dana 30. I ordered some Clayton WJ spring/shock perches and IRO lower control arm mounts. I got my 4:56 gears on the way for both axles. Got all new seals and bearings to rebuild the axles. Ordered the JK-WJ D44 rear swap kit. Ordered the IRO high clearance exhaust but with out the glass pack, and ordered a Flowmaster Delta Flow 50 to run in stead.
still have not seen a rear bumper I like, they all look pretty home made for the WJ. I dont get why the WJ rear bumpers look like crap, but you can get nice looking ones for XJ's, ZJ's, and WK's that have nice contours and lower profiles.
I've got my heart set on an Atlas II, so I'm selling one of my Motorcycles to fund that.

EDIT:
Sold the motorcycle and ordered the Atlas 4.
specs are:
WJ specific shifter
2.72:1,4.3:1 and 11.7:1
left hand drop
long 32 spline input
tailhousing with out speedo
flat flange w/2" pilot will probably run 1350 yoke on it
should end up about 17" long from the mounting face to the middle of the rear yoke
Atlas should be ready in October.

Also ordered Reid Racing high steer knuckles for the JK D30, and sleeves. Flowmaster 50 will not fit with the IRO rear 4 link, so switched it out for a Flowmaster 12" HP-2
ordered a set of 315/70-17 BFG KM3s

Nick at Kolak has been really helpful.

underscore and SD Overland like this.

Last edited by spottedfrog; 06-07-2021 at 01:32 PM. Reason: updates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-14-2021, 08:47 PM
Soem0

Haven't seen too many wj with an atlas. Check out dtill he has one and there are some pics online
post #3 of 28 Old 03-15-2021, 10:21 AM
smokeyyank

Nice, looks like it will be a solid rig. There was a guy in ft collins that had a WJ with an atlas for sale a while ago. He just ran the sticks through the normal area but had to modify it a bit to get them to fit. Guess depending on how you are doing the interior, stripped vs original could throw in a JB twin stick kit.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust

post #4 of 28 Old 03-15-2021, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
spottedfrog

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
Nice, looks like it will be a solid rig. There was a guy in ft collins that had a WJ with an atlas for sale a while ago. He just ran the sticks through the normal area but had to modify it a bit to get them to fit. Guess depending on how you are doing the interior, stripped vs original could throw in a JB twin stick kit.
I've always run stripped interiors before, but with this project I want to keep it as stock inside as possible with just little things like a switch panel and some m.o.l.l.e. panels in strategic places.
I've seen on TJs where the twin Atlas sticks came out the same spot as the stock shifter. Good to hear it is probably possible on the WJ.
Thought I found a JK front axel last night but the seller wanted insane money for it, it was a D30...like 90% of JKs had, and not like its a sought after axel.
post #5 of 28 Old 03-15-2021, 05:04 PM
smokeyyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedfrog View Post
I've always run stripped interiors before, but with this project I want to keep it as stock inside as possible with just little things like a switch panel and some m.o.l.l.e. panels in strategic places.
I've seen on TJs where the twin Atlas sticks came out the same spot as the stock shifter. Good to hear it is probably possible on the WJ.
Thought I found a JK front axel last night but the seller wanted insane money for it, it was a D30...like 90% of JKs had, and not like its a sought after axel.
Gotcha, the WJ does have some nice creature comforts and make a great adventure rig. JK axles are stupid expensive. I want swap in a HP44 and 9 at some point but those are still stupid expensive. At the point just gonna say f it and go tons and 37's.
underscore likes this.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #6 of 28 Old 04-12-2021, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
spottedfrog

1979 CJ5 

Got my front JK D30 home. ordered the ring and pinion, new brake parts. got the Clayton WJ spring perches, new seals and bearings.

post #7 of 28 Old 04-12-2021, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
spottedfrog

1979 CJ5 

just for grins:

Would like to tuck the gas tank, but I'm thinking that the spare tire compartment is just too perfect of a place to put the air compressor, and I could fit an air tank in there too.
post #8 of 28 Old 04-19-2021, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
spottedfrog

1979 CJ5 

Rather than going with a glass pack as supplied in the IRO 4 link exhaust kit I decided to go with a Flowmaster Delta flow 50. I looked up the dimensions and it seemed like it should fit perfectly where the old cat is now, and then build the IRO 4 link exhaust off that minus the glass pack. Now with the flowmaster in hand it looks like its going to fit the bill perfect, just going to clear the trans crossmember and terminate where the cat does now. The cat is round and the flowmaster is oval...ish. the Flowmaster will tuck up tighter with out being much wider. it "should" fit under the IRO skidplate like they designed the cat to fit.
The photo perspective kinda throws off the width, it fits nicer than it looks.

also got my Clayton front spring perches

post #9 of 28 Old 05-03-2021, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
spottedfrog

1979 CJ5 

couple more parts arrived, rebuild kits and gears for both axles! I've pretty much bought 90% of what I need to finish my build. the big thing I'll be waiting on is the Atlas 2, and I need to liquidate a bike for that. Any one want a VERY well set up FZ-09 lol?
also decided on the switch panel lay out.

Edit: does any one have any experience with Mj1designs? they make light bar mounts and a roof rack for the WJ.
post #10 of 28 Old 05-03-2021, 01:02 PM
Soem0

I not bought anything from mj1 designs but I have seen some pics of the brackets rusting pretty bad. That isn't a a deal breaker may just have to get them re coated
post #11 of 28 Old 05-10-2021, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
spottedfrog

1979 CJ5 

Got all the old brackets removed from the JK D44 rear. Now fitting the IRO swap kit. I'm going to have to cut an access for the ARB air line, and If I want to use the Diff skid that came with the axle, and I do, then I need to make clearance in the gussets for it.

post #12 of 28 Old 05-11-2021, 04:10 PM
Rockhead1

Why did you decide to go with the Clayton spring perches vs the IRO swap truss? I am preparing to do the same swap as soon as I source a JK Dana 30/44.
post #13 of 28 Old 05-11-2021, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
spottedfrog

1979 CJ5 

the IRO truss wont work on a JK D30 with the longarms. the Claytons are pretty nice.
post #14 of 28 Old 05-12-2021, 05:26 AM
tjdhudson17890

2002 WJ 

Garage
I went with a Thrush Turbo 17715 Exhaust Muffler in place of the cat next to transfer case and still had room for the IRO skid plate. Your flow master looks about the same size so it should fit.
Attached Thumbnails
20210511_153046.jpg   20210511_153102.jpg  
spottedfrog likes this.
post #15 of 28 Old 05-12-2021, 07:50 AM
GmanWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Well that solves the exhaust routing problem doesn't it?
spottedfrog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (4awg charging & backup cam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in