Jobs to Do - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-08-2020, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Jobs to Do

As per the title, I have a few jobs to do. Tyre rotation first, which barring lug nut breakage I reckon will be easy. Also need to fit new plugs (HO V8), replace an O2 sensor (bank 2 sensor 1) and the right side rear ABS sensor.

I have the plugs and sensors, was after any advice, hints etc you guys may have - especially regarding the O2 sensor, I have bought a tool for this. Anything you got welcomed, especially the frequency of beer breaks and the like!!

Thanks fellas.

Just realise I have spelt TIRE in the English way, sorry for any confusion caused!!

Last edited by HampshireWJ; 04-08-2020 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-08-2020, 06:48 AM
Spyder62

I hope you’re using the correct plugs for the HO. Seems like most of the members here from the UK have HO’s. I thought the diesels would be more popular.

I had an annoying transmission leak at the lower radiator fitting and didn’t want to make matters worse , so I disconnected it from the radiator and ran a separate large transmission cooler in front of the condenser. I still need to replace the leaking passenger side valve cover. Plenty of projects to do on the wj.

I might switch back to my factory tires, and pull the mud tires for now. They closed down the pines , so no wheeling for awhile. At least I got to do some wheeling on Sunday. My 17 year old got stuck in the mud and it was the Jeep to the rescue. I don’t know why he went out there by himself and didn’t take the winch. Of course the overland made it through where the f150 couldn’t.

Sorry to hear about your friend! Be safe and take care
HampshireWJ likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-08-2020, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Thanks, mate.

Decided if I were to go the Jeep route then there was no point applying any sense and having a diesel, had to be the V8 Overland! In fairness I think the diesels are more popular over here.

I guess you must have two sets of wheels? I run BFG KO2's and am pleased with them both on and off road. May look for a set of used wheels and fit some mud tyres, which will give me options.
Fzz likes this.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-08-2020, 10:05 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HampshireWJ View Post
any advice, hints etc you guys may have - especially regarding the O2 sensor, I have bought a tool for this.

Most O2 sensor tools with the split in them bend open if the sensors are stuck good. I usually have to go with my trusted, heat up the engine and big pipe wrench for leverage.
Attached Images

HampshireWJ and retrvrtrainer like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #5 of 17 Old 04-08-2020, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Thanks for that Boogieman, figured that may be the case with the socket as very similar ones for diesel injectors and they tend to open up - or at least my ones did.

I figured let the engine heat up and go from there. It's that magical balance of enough heat to get it loose and not burning your hands and arms - it's an odd Law of Physics/Mechanics that says 'in order to loosen stuff on exhausts the system must be sufficiently hot enough to cause you maximum pain'.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-08-2020, 11:51 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Slip the O2 sensor socket over the sensor, then clamp a hose clamp around the base of the socket and crank it down tight. It isnt as good as a solid socket, but its usually enough to get the sensor loose. Make sure you apply the anti seize to the threads on the new one, to help the next poor sucker.....

ABS sensors are super easy at the wheel, just remove the 8mm bolt and slide it out. I didn't follow the wiring up to the other end, but it shouldn't be to bad?

Spark plugs aren't to bad either, just be careful with the electrical connectors on the coils, they get brittle with time, and they can crack or break. I have a couple right now that lost the little red locking tab when i did my tune-up. So far i havent had any issues without them.
HampshireWJ likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #7 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Thanks Bigrigr, oddly I had been thinking about exactly what you suggest, using a hose clamp on the split socket. Great minds eh...............?

I have previously done a front ABS sensor and that was pretty simple, so have great hopes on the rear one.

Plugs, should be OK apart from rear right - which looks a 'mare.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 05:49 AM
wjkeith

Garage
You have a valid concern regarding the lug nuts. As youíll be removing them all in order to rotate the tyres itís a good time to replace the with one piece nuts.
HampshireWJ likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Keith, I broke a lug nut a few weeks ago, see 'Problem with me nuts' thread. Harry H3 kindly advised on McGard nuts and I have a set waiting to go on. Had previously wrecked a couple at a tyre place, so I guess they are in need of replacement. Thanks for the reminder.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 07:16 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Spark plugs weren't TO bad, the rear ones on the passenger side are the worst, but not impossible. You can disconnect the coil connectors and the fuel injector connectors and then lift the harness up just enough to get a small child's hand in there to the back to get them in and out.(If you dont have child like hands, you can always borrow one, just keep it attached to the child while doing so!) I think i used a 1/4" ratchet with a 6" extension to get to the coil hardware, and then a 3/8" ratchet with 6" extension to get the spark plugs themselves. Really, the last one in the back is the only fiddly one, the other 7 are pretty straight forward. I always do that back one first to get it over with. Just like eating my vegetables, get the difficult stuff outta the way so you can enjoy the rest...

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #11 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

This is starting to worry me now Bigrigr, I thought 'yep start on that rear awkward one, it'll get easier from there on in'. Are we thinking alike here, or have Jeep made us think in a more obtuse fashion?
post #12 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 08:39 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Its possible that the air inside these Jeeps is just a little different than other cars, and it is slowly poisoning our minds..... these Jeeps do make all of us rethink our ways a little bit. Not entirely crazy to have us cross paths along the way!
Or maybe its just what me and my buddies always say....dirty minds think alike....

post #13 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Dirty minds, obviously being a reference to offroading in this instance......................!!! If only it were solely that this end.
Bigrigr likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 10:12 AM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

I have all the parts and rebuilt drive shafts to do a 247 to 242HD transfer case swap on my '99 but I've been running it fine without the front drive shaft for months and I'm in no hurry to tackle it. Taking that shaft out quieted down whatever was rattling in there and that's good enough for me. It's not my "daily driver".

On that same vehicle, there's a rattle (best way to describe it) coming from the front left corner of the cab that's there even with the vehicle sitting perfectly still. I thought, OK, it's the speaker but it's there whether the radio is off or on. Very weird. It still might be the speaker - somehow. I'm not so anxious to dig into that one either.

There are alot of other non-critical issues that need to be addressed between my two WJs but none of them are keeping either vehicle from going down the road so ... not priorities. Am I lazy? I just might be. Nobody is perfect.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NP242
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #15 of 17 Old 04-10-2020, 12:45 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HampshireWJ View Post
Dirty minds, obviously being a reference to offroading in this instance......................!!! If only it were solely that this end.

I have been seen on the the dusty trails more than once......and in the mud holes.....not afraid to get dirty....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in