Jeep feels "loose" on highway, wanders and sways... - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 Old 03-28-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
WVJeepWV
2003 WJ 

Jeep feels "loose" on highway, wanders and sways...

Hey Guys, I have a question concerning my 04 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0, 165,000 miles. It seems loose while driving, especially on the highway and around turns. Specifically, it feels like the rear end sways a lot and it is kind of hard to keep going straight, it just doesn't feel "tight" or stable to me. I think I have kind of gotten used to it, but my GF drove it today on the highway and said she thought she was going to wreck, so maybe its worse than I think. She said the steering felt really loose. What I have changed in the last year or so:

1. New shocks all around (Rancho)
2. Front steering stabilizer
3. Front track bar
4. Rear upper and lower control arms
5. Rear upper arm ball joint

The guy who did most of the work said the rear sway bar bushings looked fine. What else could cause this? Also, this may be related, on some bumps there is a clunking noise in the rear drivers side. I'm not sure what this is, I thought it would go away when I replaced the other parts but it didn't. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 03-28-2016, 02:43 PM
WJeep5
2004 WJ 

Clunk could be your rear sway bar links. I'd check both front and rear while you're at it. It's probably the easiest/quickest job you can do under your jeep.

Is your jeep lifted at all?

I lifted mine 2 inches and my rear upper ball joint went bad, replaced it and went bad again after 2 weeks, put it a KOR rear ball joint spacer, changed the ball joint again (luckily under mopar warranty) and it's been fine ever since.
post #3 of 65 Old 03-28-2016, 03:41 PM
DKern
2000 WJ 

Garage
Sub'd since i'm having the same basic issues, albeit on a lift kit.

post #4 of 65 Old 03-28-2016, 03:44 PM
wjjeep19

2002 WJ 

clunking could also be your rear shocks are moving around. grab the shock and try to move it side to side. If it moves at all then that can be a source of the clunking. When I had cheap shocks from my lift the bushings wore out in less than a year and what was happening with mine was the top of the rear shocks were moving while the bushing stayed in place.

For me, replacing the shocks and new anti-sway bar bushings did the trick to stop so much swaying.

x2 on what kind of lift do you have? Are the new control arms you put on adjustable?

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer
post #5 of 65 Old 03-28-2016, 04:13 PM
MadderThanMax

I'd try yer A Frame ball joint & Bushing.. that's what caused mine.. poly bushes and new BJ later and all is tight & straight once more...
post #6 of 65 Old 03-28-2016, 05:12 PM
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

I would also check tie rod ends and steering box adjustment screw.

My 04 was clunking too, and I replaced all 4 Stabilizer links and bushings. Now quiet.
post #7 of 65 Old 03-28-2016, 08:02 PM
losttech
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I would say double check and make sure they really replaced the rear A-arm upper balljoint its kind of a pain to do so just look and it and see if it looks new and all the bolts are tight on the pumpkin there is 3 of them.
Check the rear sway bar for ovaled out holes that go to the uplinks not sure if that would cause your issue but mine were ovaled.
I had the same feeling on my WJ and the things that fixed it were a new A-arm balljoint which you said you have done and adding an addco rear sway bar made it really tight on the highway but its not good for guys that 4x4 a lot as it stiffens up the rear to much.
It sounds like your doing all the right things I would crawl under there and yank on every balljoint tierod swaybar any moving parts and see if you can find anything loose as something is worn just got to find it which can be a pain in the butt tracking it down.

I don't ever trust shops unless the guy was my friend I knew for 20 years so I would check all work they have done and make sure it is done and that its right.
Seems there are a lot of shady shops around hard to find a good honest one.
post #8 of 65 Old 03-29-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
WVJeepWV
2003 WJ 

Thanks All. I don't have a lift. The mechanic I use is the most trusted I could have, he was my neighbor at a previous house, a retired mechanic from the electric company. He is great, and charges me so little I sometimes feel bad. I'm really lucky to have him. When my GF was pregnant he did some work on her car and wouldn't charge me, said it was her present. Like I said, he is awesome. I always just hang out and watch/help while he is working on it. He was hesitant when I took the A arm and upper ball joint in and asked him to replace it, but he said "well, lets jump into it and see what happens, hope none of those bolts break off." Also, I have heard of people having problems when replacing shocks, but I had the problem/noise before and after the new shocks were put on, so I'm doubting it is shock related. I will maybe try the Addco sway bar, I have also heard people say this makes a huge difference. I don't do as much off-roading since having the two kids unfortunately, so I suppose it would be ok to stiffen it up.
post #9 of 65 Old 03-29-2016, 08:23 AM
steve_80
2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJeepWV View Post
I will maybe try the Addco sway bar.
Yes, do this
post #10 of 65 Old 03-29-2016, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
WVJeepWV
2003 WJ 

I suppose I may as well replace the rear sway bar links while I'm at it? They are only around 20 bucks apiece...
post #11 of 65 Old 03-29-2016, 09:05 AM
steve_80
2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
I suppose I may as well replace the rear sway bar links while I'm at it? They are only around 20 bucks apiece...
Yes, I did with Moog, and also bought the Energy Greasable bushings for the Addco bar. It comes with it's own, but I wanted the "better" ones.

2 of Moog K3202 Sway Bar Link Kit
Energy Suspension 9.5161G 1" Greasable Sway Bar Set
Addco 684 1" Sway Bar for Jeep
post #12 of 65 Old 03-29-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
WVJeepWV
2003 WJ 

Anyone have any experience with the Crown sway bar links? They are available at Quadratec, along with the Addco sway bar. Or should I get Moog?
post #13 of 65 Old 03-29-2016, 12:40 PM
LI Lefty

2003 WJ 

Kolak recommended the IRO sway bar links with my Addco rear sway bar and I went with them. Haven't done the install as I'm still waiting on the parts.
post #14 of 65 Old 03-29-2016, 12:54 PM
MadderThanMax

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with the Crown sway bar links? They are available at Quadratec, along with the Addco sway bar. Or should I get Moog?
Yup! CRAP.. ended up with Moog Problemsolvers - way better IMHO, no problems.. Crown didn't last long for me nor did the balljoints...

Try these for the A frame no more problems for me
post #15 of 65 Old 03-30-2016, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
WVJeepWV
2003 WJ 

Well that sucks, because I'm pretty sure the lower control arms, upper control arm (A frame), and upper control arm ball joints I put in were all Crown. Another thing, even though I replaced the rear shocks with some Ranchos, I still feel like the rear end doesn't dampen bumps very well at all. I'm not sure why? I mean on lots of bumps, it seems as if I can feel them, almost like there isn't even a shock on there. Any ideas? I mean I do live in WV and pretty much every road I drive on is fairly rough, but it still seems like I shouldn't feel the bumps so much. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in