Jeep 4.0L Ebay headers? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-04-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Bee4570

2001 WJ 

Garage
Wj Jeep 4.0L Ebay headers?

So, yeah, it's what it says on the tin.

In the slow, back-burner process of getting the ol' Junker running again, I was informed by the shop that the exhaust manifolds were cracked. Well, poo. Went searching online, and on ebay, there's a surprising amount of no-brand headers, for cheaper as a complete unit, than a pair of junkyard pull manifolds would have cost me. Though they're almost all listed for a TJ, and when I inquired with one of the sellers, I was informed that no, it would not fit a WJ.

But there was hope.

One of the listings has a review that states, with a little love from an angle grinder in a specific place, they will work on WJs.

So...I guess you can tell what happened, by the pictures. I took it up to my mechanic, and he basically went, "Oh yeah, I know where it needs to be clearanced, no worries"

...well. That was easy.

Okay, but for real. What differences are there between a TJ and a WJ in terms of space for the exhaust manifolds when both vehicles are running the 4.0L? Since I'm rather new, and lacking in the time or space to work on this myself, it's at my mechanic's shop....because I'm pretty sure this apartment complex would frown greatly upon me modifying the exhaust in the parking lot. That, and I have never worked on a TJ, so I don't really know what's the difference between the placement of components in the engine bay.

And for those who remember my.... well, one thread on it, this is for a 2001 WJ with the factory standard for that year blown 4.0L. I've since transplanted in a verified running and good 2004 4.0L with 110,000 miles on it. That's what the Header's gonna be bolted to.

Also, with how this engine has a case of the "poops where it eats", i/e, NOT a crossflow head, I figured the header wrap would help keep at least a little exhaust heat away from the intake manifold.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190823_105042.jpg   IMG_20190823_180412.jpg  

Private Sign - Do Not Read
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-05-2019, 10:47 AM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice looking piece. Good job on the header wrap.
How much adjustment to get it to work? What was its cost?

Thanks
Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #3 of 4 Old 09-05-2019, 09:18 PM
4WDlifeform

2004 WJ 

Nice, I wish I knew what I know now with headers... I broke the bank and went with Doug Thorley shorties and ceramic coated them. I don't think the ceramic does much.. I bet the wrap is a much better way to go. If I could do it over, I'd prefer to save 500 bucks.... So, good move, IMO!

I bought a set of long tubes for an XJ one time. There was just a bit of interference where part of the cast intake manifold hit the header and wouldn't seal up against the block. Idle was at like 3k! I actually notched away the intake manifold, worked great. As far as TJ vs (other Jeeps) I am not too sure. There are some posts about it, I'll link below (I was interested after reading your post, so I dug a bit!) Though after reading some of this, nothing was really mentioned about the intake and exhaust manifold. WJ and TJ seem to be a good match overall. But, I believe the high output versus non-high output there was a significant change to the intake manifold. As far as interchangeability, I don't really know.

Sounds like your mechanic has it under control though if he has done this before. Hope it works out for you, good luck!

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...hange-2274753/

'04 WJ 4.0, 335k miles, 2" Coils, 255/70 KO2s, Aussie rear, hydra front, 4.10s, 2x6 tube sliders

post #4 of 4 Old 09-16-2019, 01:56 PM
thechainrule

Curious to know how this project turns out as well! Subscribed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in