IRO 3in Foundation lift upgrade WJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-24-2021, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Jcs179

IRO 3in Foundation lift upgrade WJ

Hell all, I need help with the new lift I will be upgrading my Jeep to. Not sure what front driveshaft I will need for the lift. Can I use stock or do I have to upgrade to another one? Iíve heard double cardan is different size from the stock 4.0 i6 one. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-24-2021, 10:25 AM
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Hi, I run the IRO 3" Foundation lift and have not changed driveshaft.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-24-2021, 10:52 AM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

You need the double cardan front shaft. Here is one (bottom) compared to the rzeppa. Having the 4.0, you probably have the rzeppa.

2004 GC Overland 4.7 HO
Powerful Wanderer (wife named it after driving it)
265/70/17 MT, 2" BDS lift

post #4 of 8 Old 06-24-2021, 06:31 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
i run the 3.5 iro foundation, and have a stock driveshaft. if you have plans to run some rugged trails, you might consider the upgrade. i run off road every day at work. the rzeppa is plenty strong. (i did get a new one, when i did my lift)

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2021, 02:44 AM
Kolak
Vendor

What model year is your WJ 4.0? Later WJs have a cardan style joint at the front axle end. They tend to do better with lifts vs Rzeppa/Rzeppa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcs179 View Post
Hell all, I need help with the new lift I will be upgrading my Jeep to. Not sure what front driveshaft I will need for the lift. Can I use stock or do I have to upgrade to another one? Iíve heard double cardan is different size from the stock 4.0 i6 one. Thanks

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2021, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Jcs179

I have the 2001 year model. Turns out my Jeep had the “cheap” driveshaft the rezeppa that CJREX mentioned above. I am struggling to find the double cardan locally. On EBay they sell around 120 - 150 dollars used with the yokes. Can I use the stock one I had? Not really trying to off-road hardcore I’m just lifting my Jeep for the looks and feeling. Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2021, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Jcs179

Or, would I really need the double cardan? I forgot to mention that on eBay the majority don’t come with the yokes like this one.
Attached Thumbnails
DAC38078-060A-4867-BB2F-9BD00B6E6A60_1624645297141.jpg  
post #8 of 8 Old 06-26-2021, 12:54 AM
Kolak
Vendor

The 4.7 front shaft will be too short for your 4.0. If you're looking for a used single/double cardan shaft, one from a 1993-1995 ZJ Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 V8 has been confirmed to be a good length for the WJ 4.0. You will need the yokes. I can help you there if you need them. You can PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected] and we'll chat.

Also IRO makes a nice conversion kit but of course that's more money. I'm an IRO dealer by the way.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in