Introduction and 99 4.0 WJ rescue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-08-2021, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Ozzel99WJ
1999 WJ 

Introduction and 99 4.0 WJ rescue

I'm generally not one to post much but I greatly appreciate all the advice and support on the forums, so I decided to introduce myself and share my WJ story. So years ago, somewhere around 2007 my sister bought a 99 4.0 Laredo off of craigslist, it was in pretty good shape and she drove it for a few years but never really liked it much. It was stock as could be and a pretty barebones model, she knows nothing about cars and it had all of the standard WJ issues. So eventually she got a Rav4 and abandoned the poor WJ on our parents property. I never had time for it and lived 500 miles away, so it sat for years. Eventually I decided it needed saving, plus my old nissan hardbody was getting pretty dated... so I took on the project.

The main reason it sat was because the old Teves brakes had locked up. Drivers side wasn't too bad but the passengers was completely shot. Picked up some rebuilt Akebonos and did all four corners, plus new master and all the flexible lines. In the process of that I found the drivers rear wheel bearing was completely shot. I live up in Oregon while the Jeep is down in California, so next trip in a few weeks thats getting done.... I bought a used oem axle off eBay and pressed on a Timken, its all ready to be swapped in.

I've made a few trips down so far and am basically in the process of getting it to the point or driving it back up to Oregon. Did all the standard stuff and maintenance routine.... Engine oil/filter, both diffs drained and filled, transfer case drained and filled, trans drained and filled plus added the dorman pan with the drain plug swapped the spring (which amazingly wasn't broken) and did the solenoids. All new spark plugs, all new radiator hoses, new all aluminum radiator (Chinese one but it looks pretty solid), added an extra trans cooler out front, new front axles (the CV boots were both torn) and put new moog wheel bearings and hubs on. New steering damper, threw on some detroit axle rear control arms (all three) and a new upper rear ball joint (think it was an AC delco) new fuel filter/regulator, new bosch fuel pump. I actually dropped the fuel tank and cleaned it (wasn't too bad) but while it was down I made an access hatch to get at the pump if I need to without dropping the tank again. Window motor wires in the door were broken (like on all WJ's) so I spliced in some extra wire. And I put in a chinese double din radio with nav (we will see how long that lasts!) Ah and I cleaned the grounds and put in a big three battery wire kit and a new interstate battery. I'm sure I missed a ton of little things I got done, but as it sits all I need to do is swap in that rear axle and one of the front blinkers is out (bulb is good so I'm hoping a new blinker relay works, if not I have a new multifunction switch and an eBay headlight wiring harness) Oh and I of course had to replace the rear taillight bulb holders I think they were beyond bending the tabs.

Motor sounds nice and strong, it has 180K. I don't plan on going too crazy with the overall build... Once its up here I have a 2 inch spring lift and Bilstein 5100's for it and a core 4x4 trackbar and rubicon take off wheels with 245 70 17LT Toyo open country AT3's. Not gonna turn it into a crawler but more of a semi-overlander camping rig. Still trying to decide on what I want to do for axles... obviously nothing too crazy, they will only be mildly abused

Before and after pictures attached....

-Jack

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0595.jpg   IMG_0438.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-11-2021, 07:06 AM
JoMc67

Garage
Sounds like your Rig is on its way back from the past :-)

Go with Gloss Black Soft 8's with your Toyo AT3s.
Also, try and see if you can Update that faded plastic trim.
If you take a heat gun to the panels and slowly go back-and-forth a few inches away the oil‘s will come up and your panels well look a little newer.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-11-2021, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Ozzel99WJ
1999 WJ 

Great advice, I've been trying to figure out a way to fix the fade.... tried a chemical brothers spray that helped a little but I'll give the heat gun a shot. Wheels wise I already picked up a set of charcoal JK take offs, but I do like the look of the soft 8's also, maybe for some mudders? That would be fun.

-JC
Attached Thumbnails
20210611_135041.jpg  

post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-2021, 03:31 PM
JoMc67

Garage
Ahh, and I actually like those Rubi's...Good choice indeed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in