Intermittent stalling. P0320, P1281, corrosion - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-11-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
DOJOLOACH

Intermittent stalling. P0320, P1281, corrosion

As the title says, my WJ is stalling 1-2 times per drive. It has started to get worse so I believe it is a sensor. From the threads I have read it is a cam or crankshaft sensor, or battery corrosion

While driving I will see the engine rpm immediately drop from say 2k to 1.5k for a brief second, the car jumps, then back to normal. Other times I am driving and it dies completely. One time while at a red light it stalled, I restarted and heard a gurgling noise coming from the rear end, almost like the exhaust was spitting fuel.

With this description do you guys recommend I start with the cam sensor or crankshaft sensor? I also have some corrosion on my battery terminal I will clean off... Could this cause some of these issues?

I do not hear funky noise from the fuel pump.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-12-2019, 01:51 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You'll get help quicker if you list your year and engine. I found it in another one of your threads where you have the 2000 4.0.

Lots of members on here problems are caused by bad/corroded battery terminals or a bad battery itself. Beside that it's free to clean your terminals and make sure you don't have corrosion going clear up into the copper cables themselves.

You may also have corrosion/oil/rust on the grounds. Check/clean your grounds particularly G103 which is to the rear of the passenger side motor mount on the engine block. This is the ground for the PCM and from what I've seen the crank sensor will be the first sensor to fail/be damaged if this ground is bad.

You can see G103 on the 4.0 in the 4th diagram of the below ground write-up.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310.../#post39199282

If the crank sensor is bad they aren't cheap and a Mopar crank sensor is $100. Don't go with aftermarket or you're wasting your time/money. That code P0320 is for "No crank reference signal at the PCM".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-MOP...-/191989803235

But I'm not saying to buy a crank sensor and make sure to clean your terminals, grounds, and make sure your battery is good first. I'd also check the crank sensor wiring/connector which should be towards the back of the head.

Code P1281; Engine is cold too long while traveling or coolant remains below normal (thermostat). Are you running with a 195F working thermostat? You should and if the engine is not running hot enough it's inefficient and uses too much fuel. Temp should be around 210F for the coolant. Good luck.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 12-12-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
DOJOLOACH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
You'll get help quicker if you list your year and engine. I found it in another one of your threads where you have the 2000 4.0.

Lots of members on here problems are caused by bad/corroded battery terminals or a bad battery itself. Beside that it's free to clean your terminals and make sure you don't have corrosion going clear up into the copper cables themselves.

You may also have corrosion/oil/rust on the grounds. Check/clean your grounds particularly G103 which is to the rear of the passenger side motor mount on the engine block. This is the ground for the PCM and from what I've seen the crank sensor will be the first sensor to fail/be damaged if this ground is bad.

You can see G103 on the 4.0 in the 4th diagram of the below ground write-up.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310.../#post39199282

If the crank sensor is bad they aren't cheap and a Mopar crank sensor is $100. Don't go with aftermarket or you're wasting your time/money. That code P0320 is for "No crank reference signal at the PCM".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-MOP...-/191989803235

But I'm not saying to buy a crank sensor and make sure to clean your terminals, grounds, and make sure your battery is good first. I'd also check the crank sensor wiring/connector which should be towards the back of the head.

Code P1281; Engine is cold too long while traveling or coolant remains below normal (thermostat). Are you running with a 195F working thermostat? You should and if the engine is not running hot enough it's inefficient and uses too much fuel. Temp should be around 210F for the coolant. Good luck.
If P1281 is for engine coolant I had to replace my thermostat a couple months ago and the code must never have been reset. Also had a bad O2 sensor code which I have received off and on for a couple months now which causes the CEL to come on. Since the O2 issue is sporatic I bet that is a sign of a corroded ground as well, I will find that ground to clean it.

I'm definitely thinking and hoping now that all my issues are corrosion related

post #4 of 5 Old 02-16-2020, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
DOJOLOACH

Well the new oem mopar crankshaft fixed the problem.

I also replaced the O2 sensor as well with a new bosch unit. Not sure if Bosch is OEM but I trust that name. Thanks for the help guys... and yea it was a humongous pain doing the crank sensor... took me 4 hours... better me than a dealer though!
post #5 of 5 Old 02-16-2020, 06:48 PM
JoMc67

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOJOLOACH View Post
Well the new oem mopar crankshaft fixed the problem.

I also replaced the O2 sensor as well with a new bosch unit. Not sure if Bosch is OEM but I trust that name. Thanks for the help guys... and yea it was a humongous pain doing the crank sensor... took me 4 hours... better me than a dealer though!

NOOOooo...Return the Bosch, and replace with Mopar/NGK, or you might regret it in the near future.

Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in