• 4 Post By Purcell69
  • 2 Post By scott_0

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Micallen

2003 WJ 

Garage
Installing double-din stereo in WJ

How many of you have done it? Looks doable with the custom dash kit, but looks like a pain in the arse with all the cutting that has to be done. Need to change my stereo. So let me know if you have installed a double-din, and post a pic of the results if you have a pic.

Micallen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 03:42 PM
smokeyyank

I have one......I hate it. As you said PITA. The garbage adapter just doesn't fit right and is flimsy as hell. Then depending on how many wires are behind the deck will be another issue. I have the harness, outputs for a sub and antenna and still can't get it to fit right. just not enough space for the decks fat *** to fit. If you get a deck without a CD player it might work better. The cutting was ridiculous. Don't have a pic but it looks like ****....

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #3 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 04:28 PM
CJREX

I didn't find it particularly difficult, but that can probably vary widely based on your head unit.

I can easily see where a deep unit would be a hassle though as it is pretty tight with the wiring back there.

I didn't find the cutting to be an issue. My cordless Dremel made quick work of it.

I am running an Eonon full Android head unit. It's basically an 8.1 Android tablet with a radio tuner added.

It's driving the factory speakers through the factory amp.

All the steering wheel controls work without needing an adapter.

Home page (Carwebguru for customized homepage)

PowerAmp for playing media ($3 on Google Play)

It has an external GPS antenna that gets great reception

Add a $30 bluetooth OBD adapter and get real time vehicle status via the Torque app.

I could fill the page with features but suffice to say you can load anything from the Android app store on it.

But do note that it does NOT have the built-in gyroscopic sensor that a phone has, so the off-road tilt inclinometers won't work.

While I was updating the stereo I also got rid of the factory CD changer.

I'm sure that a 10 disc changer was the shizzle in 2004 but with 32GB storage in the head unit and the ability to add a 256GB microSD card to it, my music storage needs are fully met.

Replaced it with a 10 inch Rockville sub (also added my voltmeter and USB charging ports for camping while I was in there)

97Mule, Mattyjm and Reech like this.

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland

post #4 of 13 Old 12-03-2019, 12:17 AM
Reech
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
-
Just curious what dash kit and adapters you used? that install looks really clean. nice job!
post #5 of 13 Old 12-03-2019, 05:28 AM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

Maybe worth considering one of the head units with the flip-out screen? You get the benefits of a large screen with the advantage of not having to cut away parts of the dash.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-03-2019, 06:03 AM
CJREX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reech View Post
Just curious what dash kit and adapters you used? that install looks really clean. nice job!
Thanks!

I used the Metra 70-6502 wiring adapter

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metra 40-CR10 antenna adapter

And the Metra 95-6546B dash kit

I'm trying to remember (I've done 4 different stereo installs recently and the details all blend together) but I believe I only used the power wires from the wiring adapter and connected audio with the RCA connectors.

I tapped into the Remote signal at the factory amp to power on the sub.

I ran video from the reverse camera through the headliner and down the A-pillar to get the reverse display (the Jeep has the perfect mounting spot for a camera)

The particular head unit I bought has been replaced by a newer unit but a lot of these Chinese Android units are made in the same factory, just with a different brand on them.

If you want one of the Android units, look for vendor with a good support website.

You'll also want to spring for the extended warranty which was around $20 for a 4 year plan on mine. Money well spent I think as you never know what you're going to get with one of these.

I've had 4 Android units. A Joying which was JUNK, a Dasaita which was GREAT, a Pumpkin which was good, and this Eonon which is between the Dasaita and the Pumpkin.

The Android capabilities far exceed the Apple Carplay/Android Auto head units (Locus Pro and Gaia offline GPS FTW) I have in my other cars, though to be honest, for most people the Apple/Google solutions would be better as the full Androids are a bit "techy" to fiddle with.

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #7 of 13 Old 12-03-2019, 08:59 AM
terpsmandan
1998 ZJ 

If clearance is an issue, I would look at the Alpine units without a CD player. They are only around 3" deep. I have a Pioneer NEX2300 in my JK and I look at it and the chassis is full of nothing.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-04-2019, 05:10 PM
Purcell69
2001 WJ 

I just installed a Kenwood DMX-7706S in my WJ yesterday. This unit doesn't have the CD/DVD drive, so it isn't nearly as deep as those units, but I still had to take a Dremmel tool to the plastic under the dash pad to make a little space. Like CJREX, I used the Metra wiring kit and the Metra Dash kit.

I also used the Dremmel to cut the plastic welds that held the vents in the factory fascia so I could reuse them with the Metra fascia. To make sure the vents stayed installed on the Metra fascia, I used a bit of JB Weld. I like the finished look, it's clean and everything works like it should, complete with Apple CarPlay and the Android equivalent.

-Joe
Attached Thumbnails
2001 Jeep WJ Double DIN.jpg  
97Mule, Mattyjm, Micallen and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-04-2019, 06:51 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
I just installed a Kenwood DMX-7706S in my WJ yesterday. This unit doesn't have the CD/DVD drive, so it isn't nearly as deep as those units, but I still had to take a Dremmel tool to the plastic under the dash pad to make a little space. Like CJREX, I used the Metra wiring kit and the Metra Dash kit.

I also used the Dremmel to cut the plastic welds that held the vents in the factory fascia so I could reuse them with the Metra fascia. To make sure the vents stayed installed on the Metra fascia, I used a bit of JB Weld. I like the finished look, it's clean and everything works like it should, complete with Apple CarPlay and the Android equivalent.

-Joe
Were you also able to keep the steering wheel controls? What made you choose the Kenwood HU over another brand?

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #10 of 13 Old 12-04-2019, 08:03 PM
Purcell69
2001 WJ 

Our WJ didn't have steering wheel controls other than for the Cruise control, so not an issue for us. I do recall there is a Metra kit that does integrate with the steering wheel control for these, if so equipped.

Normally, I like Sony for my aftermarket car audio, but Sony quality has been lacking in recent years. I liked the Kenwood for a few reasons. The CarPlay software was one factor, as was the option of changing background screens with my own uploads. The biggest feature I liked was being able to turn the screen off while still using the system. Some didn't offer that feature, and driving at night with a screen that you can't shut off would be very annoying.

I have this one connected to the headlights, so it does automatically dim for night use. There is also the option to add a camera, either a backup or as a crawler. This unit has a button on the front panel to activate the camera even without being in Reverse, for the crawler crowd.

I had also looked at a few Pioneer units in the same range, but they didn't offer the flexibility the Kenwood does for the same money.

-Joe
post #11 of 13 Old 12-05-2019, 10:43 AM
scott_0
2002 WJ 

Installing double-din stereo in WJ

its really not a difficult install, I installed a Pioneer 4400nex that has wireless carplay and it is amazing! the dash kit was not the best quality but once in, there are no issues. there was some cutting but nothing too bad, I used the Metra axxess swc1 for steering wheel controls, and installed two amps, one for the front door speakers, and one for a 10 subwoofer, I retained the Infinity amp for the rear speakers for rear fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purcell69 and Micallen like this.

2002 GC Limited, all stock, undecided mods to come
post #12 of 13 Old 12-05-2019, 02:45 PM
terpsmandan
1998 ZJ 

Nice to see what my next WJ will look like when it's done....
post #13 of 13 Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM
caliskier
1999 WJ 

This is what I did, and if I ever want to go back to stock I can. Installed a backup camera as well, could put in headrest screens for the back. Does not cover the vents.
This is the Pioneer AVH-3500NEX, I have the 3300NEX.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in