• 1 Post By GmanWJ
  • 2 Post By GmanWJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-01-2021, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Installed EBC rotors and pads. Wow that's a lot of noise

Just to lay the groundwork; I have changed Bella's rotors several times. Pads even more. Done brakes on a few other cars too. I am not a complete noob. Usually, new rotors and pads are pretty smooth, not especially noisy.

So today I installed new EBC slotted and dimpled rotors with yellow stuff pads. My old rotors were pretty well used up, it was time for new. Also new Crown parking brake shoes.

Pumped up brakes before leaving the garage. Backing out, no noise until I stepped on the pedal, which produced an uncomfortable grinding noise. Never heard that before. Continuing, less aggressive grinding with foot off the pedal, more noise when turning, still more when applying pressure.

Was going to go around the block, but the grinding noise was continuous. Alarming. I did a few very short forward and back maneuvers: more grinding sounds. So I just parked it. Brakes are not supposed to make that kind of noise.

Also: installed Synergy wheel spacers to gain clearance on the front sway bar quick discos. My tires were rubbing on tight turns. Honestly, if I did not need to install spacers, I would not have replaced rotors quite yet.

What do you guys think? Do EBC pads usually make this kind of noise?

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210501_175502363_1619929879612.jpg   IMG_20210501_161700202_1619929892778.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (8awg charging & backup cam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-02-2021, 03:05 AM
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Yep that's normal. That's the black anti rust coating getting taken off the discs and the red bed in coating getting taken off the pads. Just be really gentle till the noise goes and then be gentle for the next 1000 miles (city) before you start to do any really aggressive braking.

There will be noise in the future from the dimples - like a whooshing noise while you're cruising / coasting. I never minded it but changed to USR on a whim and it's gone.

They're great brakes!
GmanWJ likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2021, 07:39 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Yep, it would probably be much less noisy with smooth rotors, but that "break in coating" on the EBC pads looks pretty rough, so I would expect some racket as the coating does its job. I'm surprised there isn't some mention of it in the EBC paperwork.

What the heck are you doing to go through so many rotors?

post #4 of 9 Old 05-02-2021, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Yes it does mention something in the paper that came with it, but still ... did not mention grinding. It's a nasty noise. Never in my life have I heard my brakes make a noise like that. And it is basically constant so I worry about overheating the calipers, I don't need problems like that in my life.

I first replaced original rotors long ago when they warped. After that I replaced rotors and pads as a set whenever I needed service, so a couple of times. But 12 years ago I put on R1 Concepts slotted/drilled rotors and left them on, went through 2-3 sets of pads I guess.

I just started towing a couple years ago. Other than that, she doesn't see anything too strenuous that you would not expect a Jeep to do.

A friend of mine who is something of a car 'spert was around when I did my front bearing hubs and commented that my rotors had a pretty deep ridge ... Which was not a surprise to me, last time I did pads I thought the same thing. So been scouting for good replacements since.

I have this weird need to support domestic brands because I believe in keeping manufacturing capacity in my home country. Did not find anything made in USA so went with EBC because those products are "100% Made In Britain" and the reviews I saw were good ... close enough. And here we are.

Thanks for the feedback.

2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries

post #5 of 9 Old 05-02-2021, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Ok did a little driving around. The grinding noise is going away. Friend of mine says some of the guys at the race track run these EBC yellow pads because they do not disintegrate when the rotors start glowing like some pads do, and yeah the red surface makes a lot of noise when new.

Well I do not plan on circle track racing the WJ so these pads ought to be good enough.
WJ60 likes this.

2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries

post #6 of 9 Old 05-03-2021, 11:55 AM
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Yeha they're good bads. I've spoken to their technical guys a few times and they say they're the bees knees, especially in a large vehicle like a WJ.

I've done some high speed braking with them (120+) and didn't get any fade.

Nearly took the WJ around the nurburgring once... I avoided it because the cost of crashing scared me but I have no doubt the brakes would've been okay!
post #7 of 9 Old 05-03-2021, 03:54 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I have a set of the greenstuff pads new in the box (for the Teves calipers) if someone wants them cheap.
Item DP61312

"We have it totally under control. Itís one person coming in from China. We have it under control. Itís going to be just fine." ~D. Trump, Jan 22, 2020.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-04-2021, 08:27 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
those ebc kits have very specific break-in (bedding) instructions you must follow. i have the slotted/drilled brakes on every one of my vehicles, and the only noise i ever hear, is a slight "whirring" sound, as the drilled and slotted holes pass by the pads, making the noise of air getting passed by. if you're hearing grinding, you have something wrong. find what's wrong, before you end up with something damaged.

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #9 of 9 Old 05-04-2021, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
All good now, no more noises.
Frambo and mak_v8 like this.

2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in