Infinity Gold no sound from tweeters, help please - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-26-2020, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
GoTerps
2000 WJ 

Infinity Gold no sound from tweeters, help please

This is my first post but I have been lurking here for awhile. This site is awesome. I just brought a 2000 Grand Cherokee with the Infinity Gold stereo. The headunit and speakers are stock. I noticed that I only get sound from the rear door speakers and front door speakers but absolutely nothing from both the dash speakers. The dash speakers make no sound at all (not even static noise or anything) even if i adjust the fade to completely front. Is the amp bad or are the speakers just bad. Not sure where to start. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-26-2020, 02:46 PM
frankjc
1999 WJ 

Check and see if they are plugged in. I was considering unplugging mine, they make a horrendous noise when turned up. I replaced them one time with a pair of used ones. Those went bad too after a while, and now make the same noise. I might buy a new pair of aftermarket speakers soon.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-26-2020, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
GoTerps
2000 WJ 

Ok, I will check when i get a chance. If they are plugged in would that mean that the amp is bad then?

post #4 of 19 Old 01-26-2020, 07:16 PM
wjkeith

Garage
I would start with the speakers. They sit in direct sunlight. ~20 years of that will take its toll
Plugged in doesn’t equal a bad amp. They could be dead plugged in or not.

Last edited by wjkeith; 01-26-2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Added comment
post #5 of 19 Old 01-26-2020, 09:38 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
I had the same issue in my 01 GC. Hit the You Pull It yard and pulled a pair . Put them in when I got home and they work great.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-26-2020, 09:40 PM
1202diesel

I had the same issue. Found a broken wire directly behind the connector on side, other was disconnected. Plugged em in and spliced the wire. Sound was then just awful. I can see PO just unplugged em when they got screwed. Trip to a wrecker I got a for $5.25, then proceeded to raid all the WJ’s with the Infinitn gold and now have enough to last me a long time and not worry about cranking it and pounding the bass if I wanted to. Chase the wires out, check for breaks, check voltage output to the speaker. Worst case, got the JY and take an amp and as many speakers as you can carry for probably under $100. Swap in the best ones.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-27-2020, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
GoTerps
2000 WJ 

Thank you all for the responses. I will try those recommendations and report back what the issue was to help others in case they run across the same issue. Thanks again
wjkeith likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-27-2020, 11:09 AM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

check speakers with an ohmmeter, ez

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #9 of 19 Old 01-27-2020, 01:36 PM
BrownWJLaredo

I just bought a WJ and it has the Infinity Gold with the amp under the right rear seat. Only one of my tweeters works. The passenger door, and it sounds pretty bad. The rest don't work. Is it worth trying to find speakers at a junkyard like mentioned above? Or should I just find some cheap speakers online to throw in? I still have the factory radio as well.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-27-2020, 03:09 PM
1202diesel

JY will be cheapest option but it’s a crapshoot. I wouldn’t even bother taking them off a JY vehicle if the door panel is missing or else they’ve been exposed to elements. Even so, nothing to say PO didn’t abuse them before they wrote off their Jeep. Serious crap shot. If your lucky like I was you can get a full set of speakers and a backup amp for like $60 tho.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-27-2020, 04:05 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I too had no sound from my dash tweeters upon getting home with my new purchase. I swapped several parts in the system, before i finally pulled the panel off the top of the dash and found that the PO had removed mine completely. No wonder i couldnt get any sound out of them! Duh! This seems to be a real common issue, where they go out, and someone gets tired of listening to the racket, and they unplug or remove them. JGCparts has them for sale online, as well as the good blend door repair kit, FWIW

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #12 of 19 Old 01-27-2020, 04:33 PM
BrownWJLaredo

JGCparts looks like a good site. I'll be buying some tweeters from them very soon. Are there any factory replacement speakers for the doors?

1999 Jeep WJ 4.0 Selec-Trac
post #13 of 19 Old 01-27-2020, 09:16 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I know the front doors have 6X9 woofers in them(infinty). I would think that any 6X9 would work. Im not to sure about the back doors physically, I assume they are 6X9's as well, but they are 2 way speakers-not just woofers.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #14 of 19 Old 01-30-2020, 10:48 AM
BrownWJLaredo

I noticed something interesting today. I have the infinity gold, and I know the front doors are supposed to be only woofers, but I have sound coming out of the front passenger door (only thing that works). Could someone have swapped in a regular speaker and rewired it to work? I haven't started digging yet, but I was under the impression that the front doors only handle bass.

1999 Jeep WJ 4.0 Selec-Trac
post #15 of 19 Old 01-30-2020, 04:54 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownWJLaredo View Post
I noticed something interesting today. I have the infinity gold, and I know the front doors are supposed to be only woofers, but I have sound coming out of the front passenger door (only thing that works). Could someone have swapped in a regular speaker and rewired it to work? I haven't started digging yet, but I was under the impression that the front doors only handle bass.
Yes, it is possible that the speakers have been swapped out in the 20 years these things have been on the road. I tried a 3-way 6X9 in my drivers front door one day as a test and all i got out of the 3-way was still the low tones the woofer is supposed to put out. What kinda sound do you get out of the RF door speaker? If it has more than just low tones, then maybe someone has wired it up differently. Do you still have the amp under the passenger seat on the right side?

One thing to think about... there is wiring passing through the rubber boot in the door hinge area on all the doors, Its also possible that you could have broken wires inside the boot. They break sometimes from the constant opening and closing of the doors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in