Is it impossible to put a remote car starter in a WJ? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Soem0
  • 1 Post By metal4fun

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-09-2021, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

Is it impossible to put a remote car starter in a WJ?

Remote car starters sure are nice in the cold weather. It doesn't seem possible to put one in a WJ unless you can disable the skim stuff. Has anyone had any luck installing one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-09-2021, 05:56 PM
carlsondrew3

2004 WJ 

Garage
Is it impossible to put a remote car starter in a WJ?

There should be zero issues installing one, and be as straightforward as with any other vehicle. Got my Viper system installed by my local Best Buy about 4 years ago and it was a game changer - no more cold Colorado winter mornings. Had one hiccup where it needed to be reprogrammed, but just took it back to the store and they got it set back up in no time, but otherwise itís worked flawlessly. On a side note, my system is wired up to where it turns on the park lights when it starts up so my DRLís turn on as well which is a nice touch. Makes it easier to find in a lot as well.

2004 WJ 4.0L - "Jordan"
2.5" Lift, Rusty's Front Springs, BDS Rear Springs, FOX 2.0 BDS IFP,
IRO Custom Double Cardan Front Driveshaft

Check it out on RevKit and Instagram:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-09-2021, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

Well that's good news. I didn't think a WJ could be started unless it could detect and read the key. I was just in Best Buy a couple weeks ago and had the chance to talk to the stereo installer. He sounded pretty knowledgeable and I would trust him working on my vehicle. I'll check my local guy first now that I know it is possible.

post #4 of 15 Old 10-09-2021, 06:56 PM
Soem0

Their is a guy out there that has a diy kit for this. I can't think of the company right now though

Edit since I found it
http://syracusesynergy.com/product/rs2waywj/
cDee63 likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-09-2021, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

Thank you SoemO, that is great news. My little snowbuggy is going to get some TLC next month along with a remote car starter.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-10-2021, 10:14 PM
Brallen86

2003 WJ 

Garage
I've had one in mine for many years, everything still works as if it were factory. One feature I'm not a fan of is the electronics don't turn on for security purposes until you put the key in the ignition and turn to RUN. I say this because during the winter I would like the defroster/heater to be on when I start it and during the summer the AC. With that said though, once it's been running for a min either heat or cooling is fully ready to go the moment you turn to RUN. It was a nightmare to install by yourself if you've never done one before but the more recent ones are much easier to install from what I've seen. Less wires, way less.

-03 WJ Limited; Check out my
post #7 of 15 Old 10-11-2021, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

I hope the newer ones are different. I have one on another car and the electronics do come on and the heater will run when started remotely.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-11-2021, 05:45 PM
carlsondrew3

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuggy View Post
I hope the newer ones are different. I have one on another car and the electronics do come on and the heater will run when started remotely.

Youíre welcome to take a look at the system I have in that revkit link in my signature below as I donít recall the exact Viper system name off the top of my head (I believe itís still being sold too). But all of my electronics and climate control come on just as it would if I started with the key. So long as you leave the AC button pressed, temp. setting for where you want, fan setting, etc. everything starts up as soon as the engine turns over.

2004 WJ 4.0L - "Jordan"
2.5" Lift, Rusty's Front Springs, BDS Rear Springs, FOX 2.0 BDS IFP,
IRO Custom Double Cardan Front Driveshaft

Check it out on RevKit and Instagram:

post #9 of 15 Old 10-12-2021, 05:20 PM
Chowda420

I love my Syracuse starter. I use it everyday and opted for the drone app. I can see where m car is at any moment and start and stop it, unlock and lock it from the app. It also displays the battery info and the temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soem0 View Post
Their is a guy out there that has a diy kit for this. I can't think of the company right now though

Edit since I found it
http://syracusesynergy.com/product/rs2waywj/
post #10 of 15 Old 10-12-2021, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

How much is the monthly charge for the drone app?
post #11 of 15 Old 10-13-2021, 08:59 AM
metal4fun
1999 WJ 

I've got an Avistart 4200 installed by Bestbuy in my 99 WJ. Works like a champ!
snowbuggy likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-13-2021, 09:35 AM
three_jeeps
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Remote car starters sure are nice in the cold weather. It doesn't seem possible to put one in a WJ unless you can disable the skim stuff. Has anyone had any luck installing one?
Yes! - Here is a pointer to an excellent writeup and how to do it.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...start-4335287/

It is a 'one way' system that has a distance of ~800 ft. Was fine for my needs.

I followed the guide with no problems when I installed mine. I did encounter a situation where the Avital (remote start box) and Dball (Alarm bypass) modules didn't coordinate initially. It required a few reset/sync cycles for them to be happy together, but after that, no problems.

Chris mentions in the write-up that the DBALL2 comes w/o firmware and he got the XKLOADER2 to flash it with the correct firmware for the vehicle. When I got mine, the company already had it flashed for the WJ. IDK if this option is still around. I don't remember where I purchased mine.
good luck
J
post #13 of 15 Old 10-13-2021, 12:10 PM
Mr. Bitey

2004 WJ 

Quote:
I wondered this too, the app looked cool v another clunky FOB on my keychain. I found it here:

https://www.dronemobile.com/subscriptions
Attached Images

2004 WJ, 4.7 N, daily driver.
1967 Jeep J100 panel truck (a-rusted development)
1970 'Cuda, 340 4bbl (10.952et @ 123mph)
1972 Dart Swinger, Gen III 6.4l Hemi (in progress)
1974 AMC Gremlin X, 440 6bbl (trailer queen, 9.466et @ 144mph)
1975 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2-door (in progress)
post #14 of 15 Old 10-13-2021, 03:27 PM
Chowda420

Quote:
The drone app is $10 a month. If I forget to lock the jeep I can use the app miles away and lock it.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-13-2021, 03:33 PM
Chowda420

[QUOTE=Chowda420;41372367]
Quote:
The drone app is $10 a month. If I forget to lock the jeep I can use the app miles away and lock it. The unit itself is made just for the wj and the wiring is so easy to do. I paid $240 for it I believe and didn't have to pay the $300 installation fee that I would had to pay with another company. The whole installation probably took me an hour. The longest was to get the damn steering column cover off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in