I may have overfilled my transmission, 3/16ths above cold mark, did I? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 52 Old 01-17-2020, 12:15 PM
2oldjeeps
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,666
im gonna follow this for the next few years to see if it gets settled so i can fix mine,however...


99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
2oldjeeps is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 52 Old 01-18-2020, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 186
Yeah, I was hoping to be done with this. I have done noting to the car but drive it. Today I ran all over town 60 miles multiple stops came back home after a 30 min drive, put it in neutral and pulled the dip stick, cleaned it, pulled it again. Nothing on it!

Parked it in the garage shut the engine off, now it looks like the picture in my original post. what the heck!

All I did was replace the oil and filter and replaced the pan, added 5 quarts 6 ounces of fluid and that's it.
caliskier is offline  
post #33 of 52 Old 01-18-2020, 08:17 PM
SoCal2004wj
Registered User
 
SoCal2004wj's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
Yeah, I was hoping to be done with this. I have done noting to the car but drive it. Today I ran all over town 60 miles multiple stops came back home after a 30 min drive, put it in neutral and pulled the dip stick, cleaned it, pulled it again. Nothing on it!

Parked it in the garage shut the engine off, now it looks like the picture in my original post. what the heck!

All I did was replace the oil and filter and replaced the pan, added 5 quarts 6 ounces of fluid and that's it.
When I dropped the pan to replace the fluid and filters, it took a bit over 6.5 quarts to get it back to the normal full line. This is pretty close to what they state over at WJ Jeeps www.wjjeeps.com/service/transmission.htm. It's been more than 25k since then and it hasn't budged.
SoCal2004wj is offline  
 
post #34 of 52 Old 01-19-2020, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
caliskier
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2004wj View Post
When I dropped the pan to replace the fluid and filters, it took a bit over 6.5 quarts to get it back to the normal full line. This is pretty close to what they state over at WJ Jeeps www.wjjeeps.com/service/transmission.htm. It's been more than 25k since then and it hasn't budged.
Yes, I spent some time this morning searching again, 545RFE for other Cryslers is the same for the 4x4 with the 4.7L. Then dug deep into the WJ search on this forum, 6.5 quarts. I may have actually underfilled it.
caliskier is offline  
post #35 of 52 Old 01-19-2020, 08:14 AM
007matman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 493
First of all.. I can't believe this thread is still going.

If you installed a more shallow pan you actually reduced the capacity. I'm assuming that nothing else was changed. I agree with the person that said snip off the bottom of the dipstick and forget it.

You need to keep the level the same as it was previously so the fluid pickup and discharge levels within the tranny pan are the same.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
007matman is offline  
post #36 of 52 Old 01-19-2020, 08:22 AM
007matman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
I have had trans shops recommend a slight overfill situation to aid in fluid cooling. The amount you are talking about shouldn't make any difference. I wouldn't go rearranging your schedule to try and get that much fluid back out.
Overfilling your tranny is not advisable and will not aid in cooling. It makes it more difficult for the fluid to circulate properly in the pan and will more than likely result in additional heat build-up.

Installing a deeper tranny pan where more fluid is held would improve cooling somewhat because there is more fluid to dissapate the heat.

Doing so will require more fluid to bring it to the appropriate level.

Let the dipstick be your guide..

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
007matman is offline  
post #37 of 52 Old 01-19-2020, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
caliskier
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
First of all.. I can't believe this thread is still going.

If you installed a more shallow pan you actually reduced the capacity. I'm assuming that nothing else was changed. I agree with the person that said snip off the bottom of the dipstick and forget it.

You need to keep the level the same as it was previously so the fluid pickup and discharge levels within the tranny pan are the same.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks, as for the pan this is what I know. Several people have WJs with dipsticks that do not go all the way in as confirmed by GMan and the other thread I found. Therefore I believe my pan is not any different than the old one.

I agree on the same level, but when I pulled the pan it was difficult to determine that due to the mess made.

One mistake I made was measuring the cold level with the engine not running.

Yep, I am green at this.
caliskier is offline  
post #38 of 52 Old 01-19-2020, 07:11 PM
Bigrigr
Registered User
 
Bigrigr's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Near SLC
Posts: 863
Garage
Notice I mentioned a SLIGHT overfill was recommended by a Local trans shop for added fluid capacity, which aids in cooling. Im not saying to add an extra quart just because you have no where else to put it. The OP was discussing a Slight overfill situation when he started this discussion. Myself and others simply said not to go chasing after a SLIGHT overfill situation. I would never condone anything more than a small amount of extra fluid. Always check the fluid level with the engine idling, adjust you gauge on the dipstick based on the assumed fluid temp(hot or cold). Flip the dipstick over and look at the fluid level on both sides of the dipstick for more accuracy, as some fluid may be clinging to the dipstick tube and rubbing off on the dipstick as you remove it. If the fluid is in the range, run it. it's not uncommon to have to add a little fluid after a test drive as the fluid settles into the pan and the fluid gets pumped around to all the hardparts inside. If you add fluid, wait a short amount of time for all the fluid to run down the tube, before you check the level again, to help with false readings. If you happen to make a mistake, and SLIGHTLY overfill it, it isn't the end of the world. Better to have to much versus to little.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
Bigrigr is offline  
post #39 of 52 Old 01-19-2020, 11:56 PM
GmanWJ
Registered User
 
GmanWJ's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Santa Maria, California
Posts: 760
Garage
Serviced my tranny today. Wanted to point out that the dipstick is NOT touching the bottom of the pan. It doesn't even reach below the filter. Snapped a pic.
At least 6.5 qts came out, probably closer to 7, only had 6.5 to put in. Running well, looks full, but will continue to check fill level.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0005_1579503148402.jpg  
Bigrigr likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
GmanWJ is offline  
post #40 of 52 Old 01-20-2020, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanWJ View Post
Serviced my tranny today. Wanted to point out that the dipstick is NOT touching the bottom of the pan. It doesn't even reach below the filter. Snapped a pic.
At least 6.5 qts came out, probably closer to 7, only had 6.5 to put in. Running well, looks full, but will continue to check fill level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanWJ View Post
Are you sure it went "all the way in" before you changed the pan? My transmission dipstick has a bit of play in it when it is fully inserted, always has. Drop the stick in, it makes contact (presumably with the bottom of the pan), and if I shove on it then it will go a bit further, then spring back when I let go. This is normal.
I don't think you have anything to worry about here.
Nice picture, thanks. But you still have the springy dip stick like you said in your earlier post yes? what do you think is causing it to do that?
caliskier is offline  
post #41 of 52 Old 01-20-2020, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 186
All,

Thanks for bearing with me on this... I really misunderstood this process when I started out (ya think?). I made the major mistake of checking the level with the engine off, that is what I did in my original post. BlueSeasons provided the outline for what I needed to do and it did not register that engine off cold means no pump is running. Duh, I did not know it worked that way. Thinking engine oil. So I was overstating what was in the transmission. So I have been driving for about 3 weeks with low transmission fluid. ~ 10 miles 2x per day going to work. = 250 miles

I originally put in 5.5 quarts and when I read SoCal2004wj's post I went back and did more research realized my mistake of not checking it with engine running in Neutral, right on the dipstick. Anyway over the last 2 days I have been adding and checking and I think I am good at least on the cold side this evening. I am just below the second hole from the bottom on the cold side. In total about 7 quarts 14 ounces.

Tomorrow on the way home from work I will take a long drive to heat it up and see where it is at on the hot side of the stick.
caliskier is offline  
post #42 of 52 Old 01-20-2020, 11:14 PM
SoCal2004wj
Registered User
 
SoCal2004wj's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
All,

Thanks for bearing with me on this... I really misunderstood this process when I started out (ya think?). I made the major mistake of checking the level with the engine off, that is what I did in my original post. BlueSeasons provided the outline for what I needed to do and it did not register that engine off cold means no pump is running. Duh, I did not know it worked that way. Thinking engine oil. So I was overstating what was in the transmission. So I have been driving for about 3 weeks with low transmission fluid. ~ 10 miles 2x per day going to work. = 250 miles

I originally put in 5.5 quarts and when I read SoCal2004wj's post I went back and did more research realized my mistake of not checking it with engine running in Neutral, right on the dipstick. Anyway over the last 2 days I have been adding and checking and I think I am good at least on the cold side this evening. I am just below the second hole from the bottom on the cold side. In total about 7 quarts 14 ounces.

Tomorrow on the way home from work I will take a long drive to heat it up and see where it is at on the hot side of the stick.
Pleased to hear you are making progress towards figuring it out, that's what this place is all about
SoCal2004wj is offline  
post #43 of 52 Old 01-21-2020, 11:19 AM
GmanWJ
Registered User
 
GmanWJ's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Santa Maria, California
Posts: 760
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
Nice picture, thanks. But you still have the springy dip stick like you said in your earlier post yes? what do you think is causing it to do that?

Yes I still have the springy dipstick thing. Honestly, I have always wondered about why it does that, what exactly is going on? My best guess: there is a little wiggle in the stick before the fill indicator holes, I think this wiggle binds up with a narrow neck in the tube that stops it from going any further; pushing it more just bends the stick in the tube, giving it a springy feel. Not 100% sure here, but that's what I'm going with.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
GmanWJ is offline  
post #44 of 52 Old 01-21-2020, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 186
Drove it for 30 min tonight, its about 2/3rds of the way between the top cold hole and bottom hot hole. So I added about 11 more ounces, will see what I get tomorrow. 7 quarts 25 oz.
caliskier is offline  
post #45 of 52 Old 01-22-2020, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
caliskier
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanWJ View Post
Yes I still have the springy dipstick thing. Honestly, I have always wondered about why it does that, what exactly is going on? My best guess: there is a little wiggle in the stick before the fill indicator holes, I think this wiggle binds up with a narrow neck in the tube that stops it from going any further; pushing it more just bends the stick in the tube, giving it a springy feel. Not 100% sure here, but that's what I'm going with.
I think you are right as in the picture the tube tapers at the end, the s-shape of the stick binds up in there.
caliskier is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome