I may have overfilled my transmission, 3/16ths above cold mark, did I? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 52 Old 01-14-2020, 05:33 PM
RobRaider
2004 WJ 

1/2 inch? You may want to check that. Mine sits up about 1/8 of an inch. From what I was told, the factory gasket is what made the pan deeper and the dipstick would go all the way down. I have been using RTV Silicone and it does not create the same distance the factory gasket provided.

Are you seeing any foaming in the fluid or the fluid coming out of the tube after driving the jeep? If not, you probably are ok

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 52 Old 01-14-2020, 05:45 PM
Bobo04

I may4 have overfilled my transmission, 3/16ths above cold mark, did I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons View Post
Yes. If I understand correctly, you are doing it wrong. 10 minutes is NOT hot enough. Here is the drill and even with that. I usually average it out over 3 tries. CHECKING THE TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL:

All WJ transmissions have a dipstick to check oil level. It is located on the right side of the engine (passenger side). The dipstick cap and fill tube should be wiped clean before checking fluid level. Dirt, grease and other foreign material on the cap and tube could fall into the tube if not removed beforehand. Take the time to wipe the cap and tube clean before withdrawing the dipstick.

MODEL 45RFE or 545RFE: (used with V8 engines only)

1. Transmission fluid must be at normal operating temperature for accurate fluid level check. Drive vehicle if necessary to bring fluid temperature up to normal hot operating temperature of 82C (180F). The torque converter fills in both the P (PARK) and N (NEUTRAL) positions.

2. The engine should be running at idle speed for at least one minute, with the vehicle on level ground.

3. Apply parking brakes.

4. Place the selector lever in P (PARK) to be sure that the fluid level check is accurate.

5. Clean top of filler tube and dipstick to keep dirt from entering tube.

6. Remove dipstick and check fluid level as follows:

(a) Correct acceptable level is in crosshatch area or area between "COLD" and "HOT".

(b) Correct maximum level is to "HOT" arrow mark.

(c) Incorrect level is at or below "COLD" line. The fluid level will be approximately at the upper COLD hole of the dipstick at 70 F fluid temperature.

(d) If fluid is low, add only enough Mopar ATF +4 Automatic Transmission fluid to restore correct level. Do not overfill.
45- 545 RFE trans oil level is checked with transmission in neutral and not park.
post #18 of 52 Old 01-14-2020, 05:48 PM
Clicker01

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
Yes, I am totally overthinking it. I am insane about taking care of my cars. Appreciate the comment there.
yeah, I did change both filters when I did the fluid change. I have actually changed every fluid in the vehicle over the last 3 weeks, so along with transmission, T-case, F/R Diff, Coolant, brake, blinker, power steering, engine oil
I'm glad to see you didn't forget to change the blinker fluid.

post #19 of 52 Old 01-15-2020, 02:05 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
Well, I expected the jokes as this is a noob question, I appreciate the help as I have lost a transmission before (mo-in-laws). Here is a bit more information. I installed this drain pan when i did the fluid change because it has a drain plug. What I did not expect to happen is that the pan is a little shallower either at the dipstick or all over. I know this because now the dipstick will not go all the way in, bottoms out at the last half inch. Dirt and water will not get in through the tube as the top of the stick still covers the dipstick tube.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reviews for the 545RFE on this product are good though some say the dipstick bottoms out. Did not see that when I reviewed it before buying.

Are you sure it went "all the way in" before you changed the pan? My transmission dipstick has a bit of play in it when it is fully inserted, always has. Drop the stick in, it makes contact (presumably with the bottom of the pan), and if I shove on it then it will go a bit further, then spring back when I let go. This is normal.
I don't think you have anything to worry about here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #20 of 52 Old 01-15-2020, 02:27 PM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

Bobo04: That came directly from here. http://www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm
post #21 of 52 Old 01-15-2020, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
You're on it...

Is the radiator the original unit?
No, its a newer radiator, it was replace by the previous owner right before I got it 2.5 years ago.
post #22 of 52 Old 01-15-2020, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clicker01 View Post
I'm glad to see you didn't forget to change the blinker fluid.
Blinker fluid is critical!
post #23 of 52 Old 01-15-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanWJ View Post
Are you sure it went "all the way in" before you changed the pan? My transmission dipstick has a bit of play in it when it is fully inserted, always has. Drop the stick in, it makes contact (presumably with the bottom of the pan), and if I shove on it then it will go a bit further, then spring back when I let go. This is normal.
I don't think you have anything to worry about here.
Hi Gman, great point, I can't remember how it was, but it is as you have described it now. Springs back like you said and still covers the tube by 1/4"
post #24 of 52 Old 01-15-2020, 05:38 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I have had trans shops recommend a slight overfill situation to aid in fluid cooling. The amount you are talking about shouldn't make any difference. I wouldn't go rearranging your schedule to try and get that much fluid back out.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #25 of 52 Old 01-15-2020, 05:42 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
When you did the Transfer case, did you add a small amount of friction modifier to the special fluid from Mopar? When i still had mine i did that to make the Viscous coupler action smooth as butter. Just a little tip...

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #26 of 52 Old 01-15-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

This is actually common, very common to have the dipstick not fit quite right. 10 people on this thread said so...
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...stick-4003730/
post #27 of 52 Old 01-15-2020, 10:46 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
When you did the Transfer case, did you add a small amount of friction modifier to the special fluid from Mopar? When i still had mine i did that to make the Viscous coupler action smooth as butter. Just a little tip...
Just an FYI - The 247 does not use a Viscous coupler, it uses a Progressive coupler.
post #28 of 52 Old 01-16-2020, 06:17 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Hmmm, I know i'm Fairly new to the WJ world, but that's the first I've heard it called that.

post #29 of 52 Old 01-16-2020, 10:33 AM
Bobo04

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons View Post
Bobo04: That came directly from here. http://www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm
I understand what are you saying BUT it would not be first time that information in service manual or on internet is wrong.
When you pull out your trans dipstick read what it says on it, besides info on what fluid to use, not to overfill trans... there is info in which gear to check trans fluid level. I worked on these things for 10 years so I can say that I know a little about them.
post #30 of 52 Old 01-16-2020, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo04 View Post
I understand what are you saying BUT it would not be first time that information in service manual or on internet is wrong.
When you pull out your trans dipstick read what it says on it, besides info on what fluid to use, not to overfill trans... there is info in which gear to check trans fluid level. I worked on these things for 10 years so I can say that I know a little about them.
good word

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in