I may have overfilled my transmission, 3/16ths above cold mark, did I? - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 Old 01-11-2020, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

I may have overfilled my transmission, 3/16ths above cold mark, did I?

So disclaimer, yes, this is a very noob post. I will take the laughs and criticism, lol. My mother in laws tranny blew up while I was driving it 250 miles from home so I am very cautious.

I just did the transmission fluid about 2 weeks ago and refilled it with the 1.3 gallon bottle (5qts, 6 ounces of fluid) and have driven the car about 8 times. Fluid level cold is 3/16ths above the top cold mark (see photo, white string is where it is). When hot (driving the car for 10 minutes) I can't tell where it is on the mark, checked 4 times, cant tell as the fluid does not define a line. Transmission seams fine otherwise. Do I need to get this fluid out, I could suck it up the tube. I am going to drive it 750 miles to Colorado in a few weeks with the wife and kids.

Have I overfilled? Technically probably yes. its over the line, but is that tolerable for this transmission?

Thanks folks...

***EDIT***
This comment is as of post 40. I realized what I did wrong when measuring, I measured cold with the engine off. My fluid was way too low...

P.S. Thanks to everyone on this site for all the guidance. I just did the Front Diff, rear diff, transmission, transfer case, PS fluid, brake fluid, coolant, door lock, driver mirror, and front passenger axle.

Name:  IMG_7623.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  60.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 01-11-2020, 09:30 AM
007matman

I can't see the markings on the dipstick.

I've always been told to check them when they're hot and only when they're hot.. isn't that top hole the "Hot" level?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 52 Old 01-11-2020, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I can't see the markings on the dipstick.

I've always been told to check them when they're hot and only when they're hot.. isn't that top hole the "Hot" level?

In my picture where the white line is, that is the cold fill level, this was checked cold. Hot check can't be read because the transmission does not form a discernible line on the dipstick. To the left is the bottom of the hot fill level, the question I am asking the forum is, while this is technically an overfill, because it is close, am I still good?

post #4 of 52 Old 01-11-2020, 10:02 AM
007matman

You could take a little out. My vehicles have always read a little high when checked cold.

It's doubtful if you hurt anything.

post #5 of 52 Old 01-11-2020, 10:27 AM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

if i had an 8 page list of worries i would put that on page 9

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #6 of 52 Old 01-11-2020, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldjeeps View Post
if i had an 8 page list of worries i would put that on page 9
lol, nicely said. I am so proud of how much I have done on this car, I called the dealership for a quote just to find out how much all i have done would cost $1700.
ShinyWJ likes this.
post #7 of 52 Old 01-11-2020, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

any other thoughts on this
post #8 of 52 Old 01-11-2020, 06:22 PM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

Yes. If I understand correctly, you are doing it wrong. 10 minutes is NOT hot enough. Here is the drill and even with that. I usually average it out over 3 tries. CHECKING THE TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL:

All WJ transmissions have a dipstick to check oil level. It is located on the right side of the engine (passenger side). The dipstick cap and fill tube should be wiped clean before checking fluid level. Dirt, grease and other foreign material on the cap and tube could fall into the tube if not removed beforehand. Take the time to wipe the cap and tube clean before withdrawing the dipstick.

MODEL 45RFE or 545RFE: (used with V8 engines only)

1. Transmission fluid must be at normal operating temperature for accurate fluid level check. Drive vehicle if necessary to bring fluid temperature up to normal hot operating temperature of 82C (180F). The torque converter fills in both the P (PARK) and N (NEUTRAL) positions.

2. The engine should be running at idle speed for at least one minute, with the vehicle on level ground.

3. Apply parking brakes.

4. Place the selector lever in P (PARK) to be sure that the fluid level check is accurate.

5. Clean top of filler tube and dipstick to keep dirt from entering tube.

6. Remove dipstick and check fluid level as follows:

(a) Correct acceptable level is in crosshatch area or area between "COLD" and "HOT".

(b) Correct maximum level is to "HOT" arrow mark.

(c) Incorrect level is at or below "COLD" line. The fluid level will be approximately at the upper COLD hole of the dipstick at 70 F fluid temperature.

(d) If fluid is low, add only enough Mopar ATF +4 Automatic Transmission fluid to restore correct level. Do not overfill.
99SK04GTX likes this.
post #9 of 52 Old 01-11-2020, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons View Post
Yes. If I understand correctly, you are doing it wrong. 10 minutes is NOT hot enough. Here is the drill and even with that. I usually average it out over 3 tries. CHECKING THE TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL:

All WJ transmissions have a dipstick to check oil level. It is located on the right side of the engine (passenger side). The dipstick cap and fill tube should be wiped clean before checking fluid level. Dirt, grease and other foreign material on the cap and tube could fall into the tube if not removed beforehand. Take the time to wipe the cap and tube clean before withdrawing the dipstick.

MODEL 45RFE or 545RFE: (used with V8 engines only)

1. Transmission fluid must be at normal operating temperature for accurate fluid level check. Drive vehicle if necessary to bring fluid temperature up to normal hot operating temperature of 82C (180F). The torque converter fills in both the P (PARK) and N (NEUTRAL) positions.

2. The engine should be running at idle speed for at least one minute, with the vehicle on level ground.

3. Apply parking brakes.

4. Place the selector lever in P (PARK) to be sure that the fluid level check is accurate.

5. Clean top of filler tube and dipstick to keep dirt from entering tube.

6. Remove dipstick and check fluid level as follows:

(a) Correct acceptable level is in crosshatch area or area between "COLD" and "HOT".

(b) Correct maximum level is to "HOT" arrow mark.

(c) Incorrect level is at or below "COLD" line. The fluid level will be approximately at the upper COLD hole of the dipstick at 70 F fluid temperature.

(d) If fluid is low, add only enough Mopar ATF +4 Automatic Transmission fluid to restore correct level. Do not overfill.
I appreciate that, the problem is I don't know what HOT is and how long it takes to get there. I drive to and from work which is about 12 min each way. How long do I need to be driving for the transmission to get hot? Coolant gets hot in like 3 min, but I realize these are different things.
post #10 of 52 Old 01-12-2020, 10:44 AM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

Seriously? Take it for a half hour ride and then follow the posted directions. Just dont get lost.
97Mule, 2oldjeeps and 007matman like this.
post #11 of 52 Old 01-12-2020, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Well, I expected the jokes as this is a noob question, I appreciate the help as I have lost a transmission before (mo-in-laws). Here is a bit more information. I installed this drain pan when i did the fluid change because it has a drain plug. What I did not expect to happen is that the pan is a little shallower either at the dipstick or all over. I know this because now the dipstick will not go all the way in, bottoms out at the last half inch. Dirt and water will not get in through the tube as the top of the stick still covers the dipstick tube.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reviews for the 545RFE on this product are good though some say the dipstick bottoms out. Did not see that when I reviewed it before buying.
post #12 of 52 Old 01-13-2020, 12:02 AM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
Well, I expected the jokes as this is a noob question, I appreciate the help as I have lost a transmission before (mo-in-laws). Here is a bit more information. I installed this drain pan when i did the fluid change because it has a drain plug. What I did not expect to happen is that the pan is a little shallower either at the dipstick or all over. I know this because now the dipstick will not go all the way in, bottoms out at the last half inch. Dirt and water will not get in through the tube as the top of the stick still covers the dipstick tube.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reviews for the 545RFE on this product are good though some say the dipstick bottoms out. Did not see that when I reviewed it before buying.
I'm sure someone will jump in to correct me if I'm wrong I thought the 4WD 545RFE transmissions had a deeper pan. If that's the case, it may be difficult to get an accurate reading on the dipstick using a shallower aftermarket unit. In any case, as long as you're not running it low, everything should be fine.
post #13 of 52 Old 01-13-2020, 09:39 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Clip 1/2" off bottom of dipstick?
Your level is going to be fine. Do not over think this.
Did you change the 2 trans filters in the process? It would mean you also dropped the pan down.
That would have been a better measure taken for general maintenance but that you swapped fluid is good.

Swapping transfer case fluid should be next on your list along with both diffs.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #14 of 52 Old 01-14-2020, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Clip 1/2" off bottom of dipstick?
Your level is going to be fine. Do not over think this.
Did you change the 2 trans filters in the process? It would mean you also dropped the pan down.
That would have been a better measure taken for general maintenance but that you swapped fluid is good.

Swapping transfer case fluid should be next on your list along with both diffs.
Yes, I am totally overthinking it. I am insane about taking care of my cars. Appreciate the comment there.
yeah, I did change both filters when I did the fluid change. I have actually changed every fluid in the vehicle over the last 3 weeks, so along with transmission, T-case, F/R Diff, Coolant, brake, blinker, power steering, engine oil
post #15 of 52 Old 01-14-2020, 09:26 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You're on it...

Is the radiator the original unit?

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in