I hate new cars - JeepForum.com
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
wpod

I hate new cars

Got a message that "the Jeep won't start".
Daughter in law is using it (their Kia blew up). Fortunately, this happened as she and Grandbabies are visiting us.
Started researching and getting angry at the unnecessary complexity of new cars. I get home tomorrow and vacation starts. I wasn't looking forward to messing with it now that it's over 110. Forcast 120 on Friday.
Then I remembered that we paid a bit extra for an extended warranty. Whew!
Why can't vehicles be as simple as my 68 F100 daily driver?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 01:43 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
Got a message that "the Jeep won't start".
Daughter in law is using it (their Kia blew up). Fortunately, this happened as she and Grandbabies are visiting us.
Started researching and getting angry at the unnecessary complexity of new cars. I get home tomorrow and vacation starts. I wasn't looking forward to messing with it now that it's over 110. Forcast 120 on Friday.
Then I remembered that we paid a bit extra for an extended warranty. Whew!
Why can't vehicles be as simple as my 68 F100 daily driver? Because your F100 isn't moving your money to the trade.

See above.
wpod likes this.
post #3 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 04:49 AM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
Why can't vehicles be as simple as my 68 F100 daily driver?

It seems that cars are unique in that a certain constituency wishes that the technology underpinning them had just stopped advancing decades ago.

Admittedly, most of said constituency don't pine for car technology to have stopped dead as much as 50 years ago - 30 years seems to be more the norm.
wpod likes this.

post #4 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 05:23 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
It seems that cars are unique in that a certain constituency wishes that the technology underpinning them had just stopped advancing decades ago.

Admittedly, most of said constituency don't pine for car technology to have stopped dead as much as 50 years ago - 30 years seems to be more the norm.
Make that 80 years in my case.

My '39 Buick Special was spot on as far as I am concerned.
wpod likes this.
post #5 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 06:12 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Two things seem to be converging to really make new vehicles ever more maddening. First is the complexity. Do we really need a computer (Body Control Module) to pass commands from a window switch to a window motor? A wire direct from the switch to the motor worked well for decades. How about some new rigs where 80+% of the vehicle is controlled via a giant touch screen in the dash. When that stops working, you have little choice. You have to get it fixed and it won't be a $40 part, you'll get to spend a fortune on a new one. Not just for vehicles, but in many items today, just because a computer control can be added, doesn't mean that it should. It's just another shiny bauble that adds complxity. (I see people on Craigslist giving away fancy washing machines because the control board (i.e., the computer!) has died and the cost to replace it is 70-80% of the cost of an entire new washing machine.)

The second just makes the first worse. Value Engineering. Squeezing every last cent out of manufacturing costs. A little cheaper plastic part, a plastic gear instead of metal, a thinner wire in a sensor (crank, position and speed sensor failures should be FAR less common then they are!), a transistor, integrated circuit, relay, capacitor, etc. that just barely meets the spec. Every one of those things could be made far better for perhaps 1% more cost. However, Value Engineering also fits right in with Planned Obsolescence. Manufacturers don't want their stuff to last too long. Once the warranty is over, they want to sell you a new one!
wpod and skatulaki like this.
post #6 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 06:27 AM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

While I like the convenience of some of the new technology (radar assisted cruise control is the schiznit), it can get to be a bit much.

I turned off the Maintain Lane Assist and the automatic High beams almost immediately after getting my truck. While both of these may be fine for the highway they really suck on back roads.

The taillights on my truck are $1200 each at the dealer because of all the radar sensors and such in there.

I think the manufacturers are putting all this stuff in knowing that most will trade the vehicle before it becomes an issue.

I'm thinking of selling mine and getting an older, less sophisticated truck. Due to the chip shortage I am being offered stupid money for it right now, multiple thousands more than I paid for it a year and a half ago.
wpod likes this.

2004 GC Overland 4.7 HO
Powerful Wanderer (wife named it after driving it)
265/70/17 MT, 2" BDS lift
post #7 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
wpod

My pickup has cranks to open and close the windows. The "blendoors" use a cable, as does the heater control valve and the choke on the carburetor.
A linkage to the carburetor, linkage to the clutch.
4-speed manual transmission, manual steering, manual brakes.
I considered swapping to disc, but no need. My drive to work includes a 12 mile, 6% grade. I don't touch the brakes and it doesn't go over the speed limit.
My motorcycles are a victim of "planned obsolescence". 1978 & 80 Yamaha XS1100's. Advertised to last 50 years, the XS line was phased out after 4 years for the XJ then FJ, which won't last 50 years.
(now to draw forum hate, lol) My modern vehicle is a 17 4runner. I looked REALLY hard at the Wranglers, but in my research I noticed that there are a ton of 4runners on the road and very few listed for sale. I'm not the trade-in type and I saw the mileage on some of these. Last month the Toyota dealer cold called and made an offer of more than I paid for the truck. I know it's a current market thing, but still.
I'd still like to get a Jeep and build it (basic, no computers) to go places that I d6want to take the 4runner.
We'll get the WJ repaired. We like it. It hasn't been abused, but preventative maintenance has been lacking. Now playing wack-a-mole at 17 years and 142k miles.

post #8 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 06:57 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Today's vehicles only Rube Goldberg could appreciate. He must be smiling from the grave. I am done with new since this 12 was the last straw. Last two vehicles we bought since all used. My f250 1996 7.3PSD bought about 5 years ago at 150,000 now at almost 200,000 most of that towing about 8k and DD use. 25 years old and the first thing interior went out the drivers side door lock, but it works fine with a key still. I have the part siting here.

wife wanted something like her old Suburban she loved. But ended up wanting a Excursion with a 7.3. found one in very nice shape it had 230,00 and now is at 275,000 miles and that thing runs like a beast, but its her toy and it was the last owners as well. Thing has about ever mod one can have.

Both are simple oil burners that were built to go 300k and many do 500 or more. she paid 12k for it. No SUV has ever compared to that truck as its a Truck Suv. One ton full floating axles, full frame. has Locking Hubs. wish my Rubicon had those. To but something even close would be what today 100k dollars easy... I can get a built 7.3 when one goes for about 10k and that would last another 20 years. Longer then i will live. So we will ride out on the horse we have now.

They are low cost to tag and insure. both get about 18 highway, hers is on 35s as well at 4 tons of old iron.both can tow near 10k and tow at least 1200 miles every year if not more.
jtec and wpod like this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 07:03 AM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

We will all be driving electric cars soon and all these electronic gizmo gas cars will be in the scrap yard. In the meantime I will be able to keep my 70's Chevy trucks going for another 20 years until I quit driving. The WJ's may or may not be around in 20 years if the supply of ECM's dries up.
WJ60 and wpod like this.
post #10 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
wpod

I'm hoping that by the time the 4runner electronic wizardry starts failing, I'll be done driving.

post #11 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 07:46 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

adding a feature just because you can is driving the price out of reach, financing a home ok but long term financing a depreciating asset ie your vehicle IDK.

I see the end of the personal vehicle, the price of electric vehicles the spread of uber and lyft who else can afford the cost, as for the real world we are going to be screwed.

Will there ever be a F100 et al without options, or must we all have heated seats?

Getting old I can mention - we tried we warned you comrade.
97Mule, Wyo, WJ60 and 2 others like this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #12 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 07:58 AM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
The thing I hate about new vehicles is they all look the same.
Wyo, anotherheep, wpod and 1 others like this.
post #13 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 08:02 AM
2oldjeeps

2000 XJ Cherokee 

love my 99 wj, still offering 5000 for a lo mile,lo rust 99 = 04 limited,,,4 .0

find me one, ill send you 100 buks
wpod likes this.

99wj, 150,000 miles
00xj ,189,000 miles
10hummer3,76,000 miles
98xj, 133,000 miles
post #14 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
wpod

I'm just grouchy. I should have been home yesterday morning, at which time my vacation would have started.
But I got sent to IL instead of KS. On top of that, I was sent to Las Vegas the morning before my week starts. So I may run out of hours before I get back and have to take a "weekend" just shy of home.
And family is having car problems. No one wanted to learn about cars, but call Daf to fix it. But I'm on the road 5-6 days a week.
So I drive the F100 & the 4runner. Son #2 (lives with us) drives the WJ. Wife has a Ram.
Son #3 started working where I do in AZ (moving from CA). His Wife and kids stayed in CA until he secured their housing. He left their Kia with her.
So...
A few weeks ago, she and the kids are coming to stay for a week. On the way, the Kia engine blows up. It's towed to our house where it sits until I replace the engine.
We put her and kids in WJ and they go back to CA. Son #2 and 3 are now sharing my 4runner. I'm in the F100 which always runs but has no a/c.
Last week I get a call 'the 4runner won't start". Who would have thought that the engine has to be running for a 3 hour nap with the a/c on (apparantly just the fan on high). Jumpstart, all good.
She comes back to visit. While here "the Jeep won't start". I get these calls while on the road 1,200 miles from home.
-continued-

post #15 of 66 Old 06-15-2021, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
wpod

So I'm trying to get a description of symptoms from people that drive and put in gas, usually.
Finally got a description of the starter solenoid clicking. Ok, getting somewhere. So I'm thinking battery, terminals, cables, starter.
My Wife messes with it. She says it will start (ok, not electrical) and run, but won't idle.
Ok, fuel pump, filter, regulator, injector(s). Search the forum, oh great, maybe CPS or ECM!
I do not want to start my vacation diagnosing all this with daytime highs over 110 or 85 at night, with lights, and a billion bugs.
Then I remember. Wife is paying for an extended warranty!
Grouchy has dropped a little, but I haven't made it home yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in