Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

I found some crud inside a new oil filter.

3K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Delta0 
#1 ·
I found some crud inside a new oil filter.
Which set me thinking?

Would you or I buy a can of oil with a broken seal?
Well I wouldn't anway.

Yet I can't find anyone who sells oil filters with a seal that keeps crud out.
Worse still, even the boxes aren't sealed.

Human nature being what it is, an employee with a chip on their shoulder could easily sabotage a load of filters by smearing grinding paste inside the filter

Anyhow, does anyone know of a company thats makes oil filters with a seal over the open end please?

#2 ·
If I am understanding you correctly you could try this.
Certain Napa Gold filters, which are just rebranded Wix, come in what we call a Master Pack.
Basically what that means is that they come loose in a case, usually 12 per, not individually boxed.
I am pretty sure that even though there is no box they are individually sealed in plastic.
But not a 100% sure on that.
Now I know for a fact that the 1085 my XJ uses when in a box is not sealed in plastic.
I think we sell the 1085MP, that is the Master Pack part number, but would have to look to see if they are sealed or not.
Even if they are your local Napa might not have the Master Pack version of the filter you need.
Cause they can't buy them individually but would have to buy a case.
And if they don't get a lot of sales for that particular filter they most likely won't stock the Master Pack version.
The cheaper oil filters that Napa sells, the line code is SFI, also come in the Master Pack too.
I don't know who makes those though.
And whether they stock the filter you need in a Master Pack version or if it is sealed or not is unknown.
But it might be worth checking into.

#6 ·
OCD much ?

Buy a better brand of oil filter, or always invert it and do a FOD inspection. I always buy Mopar oil filters.

#7 ·
I'm a nutter.
Now there's a thought, thanks Tim.

There must be a lot of us nutters around then for us to develop tamper proof seals (TPS) mustn't there?
On the other hand there could be a sound sane reason why tamperproof seals were developed.

Yeah, I found the crud when I ran a Foreign Object Debris inspection.
In the real world, how many people ran FOD inspections on their filters before I drew attention to the risk on this forum?

#8 ·
I don't OCD about that, but I always fill the oil filter partially before installation, and you can see some of the insides for a casual visual FOD inspection.

Tamper evident seals came about after the 1982 Chicago Tylenol capsule product tampering incident that killed seven people by cyanide poisoning.

#20 ·
I watched a YouTube video where 5 or 6 different oil filters were taken apart, analyzed & compared.
This same process was done w/ a few different part numbers.
Like what was previously mentioned, the WIX & NAPA Gold were very similar and at the top of the quality list.
Fram was at the bottom of every test and you could see rust on the internal metal parts.
Not sure what brand you purchased, btu just an FYI.

#23 ·
Thanks Canook.

Yeah, I've watched a few of those videos too.

My question is all about what happens to the filter after it leaves the factory.
It's not about the quality of the filter.

It's all about summat to keep crud out of the filter before it gets to me.

Even the cardboard box filters come in isn't sealed.

Anti-tamper sealing is so cheap I just do not understand why makers don't fit them.

Anti-tamper seals came in after some nutter deliberately poisoned a few people.

I expect the crud got into my filter by accident. Experience not OCD :)
After CJ7-Tim told me about someone killing 7 people by tampering with stuff, it occurred to me, that any loony could smear grinding paste round the inside of a filter.

Bye bye engine.

The last oil filter I bought was made by K&N.
Never again.
  • Flimsy unsealed box.
  • No anti-tamper seal on the filter.
  • Company couldn't / wouldn't tell me the size of the smallest particle the filter took our.
K&N used to advertise their oil filters took out down to 10 microns.

Mopar don't tamper proof their filters either.

I'm not a Fram fan either.

#30 ·
Yeah I'm used to having a bit of plastic covering the opening of oil filters, was surprised when I moved to the states that they didn't have anything on any brand.

Oh well, if it's good enough for the rest of you I just went with it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.