How many window regulators have you replaced? - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Spenbass
2001 WJ 

How many window regulators have you replaced?

I'm about to install the 6th window regulator in my 01' Limited over it's life span. I've previously replaced all four window regulators, and now I'm batting around the order again.

I know that parts wear out over time, but jeez this seems excessive. Is it just a poor design? I've never owned a vehicle before where I was so afraid to open the windows!!

2001 WJ Limited- 4.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 02:57 PM
Waterluvr
2004 WJ 

Garage
I've been driving WJ's since they came out in 99, the nicer clean family models needed a driver's door regulator on about every one of them but the ones I used for work and towing needed a couple for the driver's door and the odd one elsewhere now and again.

Never needed a motor, just the regulator assembly.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 03:05 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Yes. Poor design. The regulator was under-engineered.

Grab the aluminum block replacement unit and put it on the regulator before installation or add some epoxy to the plastic block for strength. I've done both. The aluminum block is a more stout upgrade for sure.

Both regulators (driver door) I got from RockAuto, then applied the real fix. First one (epoxy) lasted for 10 years, then was sold. Second (aluminum block) has lasted 2 years so far.
I have one more aluminum block ready for the next one.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)

post #4 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 10:19 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
To answer your question from your thread title, I have three WJs. A 2000 Laredo, 280K+ on the clock, a 2002 Laredo, 178K on the clock, and 2004 Rocky Mountain Edition with 200+K on the odometer. All have 242 Transfer cases and 42RE transmissions.
2002 and 2004 have sun roofs. ALL have Manual Climate Control and foglights. All three also have Dana 35c and 30 rear and front axles. 2002 Laredo is Patriot Blue with grey cladding, '04 is Midnight Blue Pearl Coat with silver cladding, 2000 Laredo is PS5 Silverstone with Black cladding.

All three have the Agate' interior. My wife and I have four kids ranging in age from just "just getting married at 23" to "going into tenth grade next year".

How many window regulators have I had to replace??? That number is "0" Sorry about your bad luck with those....
BeetleCamry likes this.

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #5 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 11:18 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
After 3yrs or so....0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 01:24 AM
nelsonlfs

1936 CJ2A 

both rear and driver's side twice..
post #7 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 01:50 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Since I bought it brand new in 2002, I believe I have replaced 2 regulators, both sides in the front. Passenger side went first, oddly enough. When the driver side went, I replaced with the O'Reilly part ... I really don't like it. Pops sometimes like it's catching on something on the way up. I have checked but don't see anything in the way. Expect I will need to replace that one before too long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #8 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 02:34 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Two lock actuators but 'zero' window regulators on my 04. Knock on wood.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&
post #9 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 08:06 AM
Mofugly13
1999 WJ 

One on my 1999 limited, but I think the PO had it done before. When I bought a new one, I bought AC Delco because it had a metal carriage, rather than the plastic carriage like Dorman has. I donít know how much that matters, because the carriage was not the failure point, it was the plastic block that the cable anchors into. I also sprayed my window channels with silicone lube before reinstalling the window to keep the strain on the regulator to a minimum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 AM
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

To answer the question, two, both front ones. Jeep dealer quoted about £400 ($520) to replace the first one, it had broken at the dealership for recall work!? I thought no way am I paying that and bought one from Rockauto, bought and back to England for £90 ($120) then an hour or so to fix pretty simple to do. Then the other one went around 8 months later so I did the same deal.

I looked at what had broken and figured there was a repair to be had here, as both units had failed in a similar way. A few months ago I found this link on this site - https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...p-fix-1114496/ . I'll try this when/if another goes. The video above was also pretty useful, sadly it seems Digital Tuning are no more, anyone else sell that part?
DJCantonGA likes this.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 09:42 AM
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Here's a helpfulish hint for those of you who may suffer from a regulator failure and the window drops down. The small suction dent pullers can be used hold the glass in place - pull the glass up then put them on the inside of the glass at the bottom - leave in place until you get time to fix the regulator. Saves messing about with tape.
Spenbass and DJCantonGA like this.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Spenbass
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
add some epoxy to the plastic block for strength.
Maybe a dumb question, but do you apply epoxy to the entire block? Do those cables ever move? Or do you just epoxy the whole thing together?

2001 WJ Limited- 4.7
post #13 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 07:07 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

I’ve replaced two drivers windows, one passenger front and one rear passenger. It drives me nuts how cheaply Jeep designed some things here. And electrical problems with crap designs.... don’t get me started.

Love my WJ now that I’ve fixed most things but on a well built Jap car they don’t go wrong in the first place. I’ll never buy another. If this one is totaled I’ll buy a LX470 I think. They are built to last.

'02 4.7HO ~222k ml. 2.5" BDS Springs, All new control arms and Addco Sways. 245-70-17.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-19-2019, 07:05 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenbass View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but do you apply epoxy to the entire block? Do those cables ever move? Or do you just epoxy the whole thing together?
Not a dumb question.
Yes. Epoxy the whole block. The cables will flex outside the epoxy if they need to at all. I used the semi-transparent (stronger) 2-part epoxy in the syringe. Let it dry completely before installation. Use alcohol or brake parts cleaner and a swab to clean & dry it prior to adding epoxy in case there is oil/dirt in there.
Spenbass likes this.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #15 of 17 Old 06-23-2019, 11:03 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
After I got stuck at McConnell's Mill point parking lot today, as per following what I thought were my wife's instructions, she went on a door slamming fest and broke the cable splice on my rear passenger door.

After getting pulled out by a nice guy with an F150 and a logger chain, which I needed, and getting the world's BEST ice cream, which I also needed badly, I drove my mud caked 2002 Laredo home. I proceeded to pull the regulator motor and apparatus from my 2000 WJ's rear passenger door. I took a break to watch a YT video on the subject, ate dinner, then went back after it with success.

I had to drill the metal of the 2002 door panel to properly position the window regulator motor from the 2000. Apparently, they're different parts with the same function. I had some success there and was able to use the parts from my 2000 donor once again.

So, here I am, this thread jinxed me into my first regulator thread. I can now hold the count at "1".

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in