How To - Get plenty of air from your dash vents! - JeepForum.com
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 12-17-2015, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Smile How To - Get plenty of air from your dash vents!

Last week I had the, uhh, pleasure, of replacing a leaky heater core in our '01 Laredo. While I had the dash apart, I decided that I should also take the time to come up with a way to get air coming out of ALL the dash vents again. I visited a few parts stores, looking for the proper foam, but none carry it. Then a helpful employee at O'Reilly's Auto Parts showed me a rack with various weatherstripping.

The weatherstrip I went with is part number 01058 at O'Reilly Auto Parts. It's 7/16's thick x 11/16's wide x 8 feet long, made from a very soft EPDM rubber and has "acrylic super bonding adhesive" on the back. (Edit 4/18/2019: The weatherstrip is also available on Amazon, if you don't have an O'Reilly's nearby. https://www.amazon.com/Carrand-01058...dp/B000OCINVM/ Also, it has now been over 3 years since I did this repair and it's holding up perfectly so far. )

I peeled the old foam tape off of the housing and then kept cleaning the surfaces with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel until the paper towel stayed clean. Once it was fully clean and dry, I then cut and installed the weatherstrip. The pic shows the weather strip in place, but before I put the dash back in place I also put some black silicone sealer at each corner, to make the seal as tight as possible. I also applied a very thin coat of silicone dielectric grease to the surfaces of the dash-side of the ducts to make them not stick to the sealer so that I wouldn't have to wait for the silicone sealer to fully dry before I put the dash back in.

The center of the weatherstrip is hollow and the foam is quite soft. But I still had some concerns that it might still be too thick and prevent the dash from lining up correctly. However, the dash went right back into place with no problem.

Did it make a difference? Well we used to have to run the a/c blower on high and very little air came out anywhere other than the center vents (mostly because I had taped the edges of the center vent duct, back inside the center dash opening) now having the switch in the 2nd position does a very nice job of keeping the interior comfy. Air now comes out of ALL the dash vents.

(EDIT: How to fix that center duct, from reply #14 below: "Adding a link to a temporary fix that will get a bit more air from the center vents, without having to remove the dash. I did this one first: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...l#post31371505 and later did the stuff in the top post while I had the dash out for the dreaded heater core replacement. ")

The pics show before and after so you can see how crappy the old foam was and how the new weatherstrip fits. If you don't need to replace the heater core then you could pull just the dash and fix the duct seals in a couple of hours or so. The best instructional video that I've found for how to get the dash (and HVAC box out) is here:

Side note: The HVAC box has a sticker on it that shows it was manufactured by Denso. All of the foam on the box had rotted away. Meanwhile, there are also foam rings that seal the defrost vents at the top of the dash to the defrost ducts. That foam was still in excellent condition, so whoever made that dash panel used a far better product than Denso used.

Attached Thumbnails
20151208_165751[1].jpg   20151211_151638[1].jpg  

Last edited by HarryH3; 04-18-2019 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Added link for weatherstrip on Amazon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 12-17-2015, 12:07 PM
lvum4x4

2001 WJ 

Looks like a nice clean repair. I have not had the pleasure of needing to do this yet but I am sure it is coming and will look into the same stuff...

Kevin Bentley

Build:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/bentley-project-wj-build-thread-870037
post #3 of 42 Old 12-18-2015, 10:28 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Fricking Brilliant! Nice work.

"We have it totally under control. Itís one person coming in from China. We have it under control. Itís going to be just fine." ~D. Trump, Jan 22, 2020.

post #4 of 42 Old 12-22-2015, 08:39 PM
tonisius
2001 WJ 

This looks very good. I have a heater core to replace, this is something I was looking at doing, but I was going to go with the weatherstripping from Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_66679-81-022...d=1096047&pl=1

I'll see what the material is like from Autozone. I have to pick and choose.
post #5 of 42 Old 12-22-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonisius View Post
This looks very good. I have a heater core to replace, this is something I was looking at doing, but I was going to go with the weatherstripping from Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_66679-81-022...d=1096047&pl=1

I'll see what the material is like from Autozone. I have to pick and choose.
It's been my experience that household type weatherstrip just doesn't stay stuck very well in extreme temps. That's why I went with the stuff that's intended for use in cars where the temps can range from well below zero to 130+ degrees.
post #6 of 42 Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 PM
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Not to go on a rabbit trail. But what is the door in the front of the pic. Also there are two plastic air conduits running into the floor. What are those for?
post #7 of 42 Old 12-23-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegdog View Post
Not to go on a rabbit trail. But what is the door in the front of the pic. Also there are two plastic air conduits running into the floor. What are those for?
The door in the front feeds the center dash vents, at least when it's open. It closes when the controls are set to defrost or floor-only mode.

The conduits going into the floor feed heat to the rear seats. There are flat ducts sandwiched between the carpet and the carpet pad/insulation that dump some heat back there when the controls are set to blow on the floor.
post #8 of 42 Old 12-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
The door in the front feeds the center dash vents, at least when it's open. It closes when the controls are set to defrost or floor-only mode.

The conduits going into the floor feed heat to the rear seats. There are flat ducts sandwiched between the carpet and the carpet pad/insulation that dump some heat back there when the controls are set to blow on the floor.
Never knew there was any form of rear air. ya learn new stuff every day!!

I wonder if that door contributes to the air flow issues.

I would love to do this, but pulling the dash seems super intimidating.

EDIT: also thanks so much for the pics. Makes much more sense of the air flow in that system.
post #9 of 42 Old 12-31-2015, 09:21 AM
mnwildfan2k

Sure wish I would have thought of, and came across this, when I did my heater core a couple months back. I didn't even put 2 and 2 together. I figured the weak airflow from the drivers side vent was just the way the gal was... Facepalm...
post #10 of 42 Old 12-31-2015, 10:11 AM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Nice work.

Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 42 Old 01-18-2016, 07:09 PM
heffercow

1992 XJ Cherokee 

damn it I wish I had seen this before I changed my heater core today.

looks good man. if I ever open mine back up this will happen for sure.

92 xj, 8 inches w/ long arms, 36's locked rear, rattle can spray job, and countless other budget mods

99 wj limited, 4.7l, 2.5in. rustys springs, pro-comp es9000 shocks, black moabs, 255/70/17 hankook dynapro ATM RF10, still a work in progress

99wj laredo, 4.0l, previous work in progress, now just gathering dust in garage.
post #12 of 42 Old 01-20-2016, 05:15 PM
LelandGray
2001 WJ 

Now that we've had some consistently cold weather here in Oklahoma, I've noticed the hot air coming out of the vents is inconsistent across the dash. I might have to tackle this :-) Thanks!

2001 WJ Limited w/ QuadraDrive
Bilstein 5125's
jgcparts 2.5"/2" BB
JK take offs & 265/75R17's
post #13 of 42 Old 01-20-2016, 09:05 PM
d3m0ns
2004 WJ 

Garage
this is something i should probably due.. upon hitting a deer last year i had a ton of foam lineing come outta my vents and ever since the amount of air that comes out has been very lil-none for driver side.. passenger however is all warm and toasty even on low
post #14 of 42 Old 05-12-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Adding a link to a temporary fix that will get a bit more air from the center vents, without having to remove the dash. I did this one first: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...l#post31371505 and later did the stuff in the top post while I had the dash out for the dreaded heater core replacement.
post #15 of 42 Old 05-13-2016, 09:06 AM
71_340

I replaced my HVAC unit about a month ago and used foam tape from Lowes. I have to say that the weather stripping job looks better and probably lasts longer. What a fun job that was, but at least my automatic climate control works as it should now without any codes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in