Help me settle a debate, 99 WJ for offroad use - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-05-2020, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Jawa78
2018 WK 

Help me settle a debate, 99 WJ for offroad use

So I been wanting to start doing trails again and I decided I have gotten as many badges of honor on my fwd 2008 compass as I could get an impressive 6 with a stock compass.

I found a 99 WJ Limited sub 1k that cosmetically blah but who cares about that when your dealing with trails.

I will tell you it is sienna perl coat with tan interior which was my first jeep and also my first automobile so I am very tempted to buy out of nostalgia reasons

But I will say this not sure this is a good buy or not or I just wasting good money on bad idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-05-2020, 07:39 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Easy debate to settle:
Definitely not a good buy with no engine, no transfer case, no wheels, no AC, radio, no doors, no lights, no axles, etc.
Now ...if it actually has any of that stuff, you've seen it operate and is in good condition, it may be a different story and perhaps you could tell us about it.
Mattimus_LV and Bigrigr like this.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #3 of 16 Old 08-05-2020, 08:30 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

What do you want to do in it?

Florida mud bogging? Find something much easier to lift, and with beefier axles, to handle some serious mud tires.

Beach runs? It should be fine. Especially if it has QuadraDrive.

Backwoods trails? It should be fine.

No rock crawling that I'm aware of in Florida.
Mattimus_LV likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-05-2020, 10:31 AM
Mazrtry

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post

Florida mud bogging? Find something much easier to lift, and with beefier axles, to handle some serious mud tires.
100%. Mine started out for overlanding/camping and it is great for that. But if you are riding with a group running 35-40" tires that like mud and freaking lakes, you will find your limitations (stock size duratracs on JK wheels). You will have to think about what lines to take. Also have good recovery points haha! I just upped my tire size to see if I can follow my group, but have no had the chance to try them out.

Now that same group will keep you around when you can haul grills and tents to the beach in comfort. Also pop that hatch to get out of the sun on the trails.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-05-2020, 11:03 AM
Mazrtry

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post

100%. Mine started out for overlanding/camping and it is great for that. But if you are riding with a group running 35-40" tires that like mud and freaking lakes, you will find your limitations (stock size duratracs on JK wheels). You will have to think about what lines to take. Also have good recovery points haha! I just upped my tire size to see if I can follow my group, but have not had the chance to try them out.

Now that same group will keep you around when you can haul grills and tents to the beach in comfort. Also pop that hatch to get out of the sun on the trails.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-05-2020, 11:43 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

These ^ 2 guys have a better response than my wise-azs note but details all around would be helpful.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #7 of 16 Old 08-05-2020, 11:54 AM
Mazrtry

1999 WJ 

Not too wise-***, for sub 1k there is something wrong with it, or its body swiss cheese.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-06-2020, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Jawa78
2018 WK 

One I am not a mudder. I am going to do ocala national forest again abut plane on traveling with it up the eastern sear board and getting up into the mountains with it. Hence why the creature comforts of even a 99 Limited WJ were preferable over an XJ.

My problem is or was I cant be always objective in these purchases. I got my 2018 WK2 Red Velet Altitude edition so has the black out package due to the fact that red velvet reminded me of my first Jeep my 99 WJ with Sienna Perl color code . So to see another one even with the clear coat seeing better days and the headline beat the crap by looks like a rabid bobcat for sub 1000 it may be worth the drive the two hours away to go look at it. but AC is supposed to work ( no mention on heat ... ha ha blend doors haha ) and that it runs and drives but from my experience that 4.7 v8 will take a lot of abuse and still drive just not sure how well.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-06-2020, 07:18 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Like stated in another thread here on Jeepforum, I have purchased several of these Jeeps for less than 1K, and have done ok on all of them. None of them needed major drivetrain repairs. My latest is a limited w/quadradrive and the HO motor. I gave 500.00 bucks for it and drove it home. I have another 500 bucks into it to get it road worthy for my 15 year old daughter. It has its blemishes, and the sunroof drains are leaking, and the EVIC doesnt light up, but this machine would be perfect for a trail runner you can drive to any trail. (Or to bounce off of cars and poles in the high school parking lot). If your serious about a trail runner, and can fix things yourself, then buying cheap is a great way to go, and then you can make it into exactly what you want. FWIW

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #10 of 16 Old 08-08-2020, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Jawa78
2018 WK 

Oh well destiny got in the way got half way there and got a call saying it was sold. Oh well
post #11 of 16 Old 08-10-2020, 04:48 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Just keep looking, if that's what you want (or think you do). Took me 3 months - & then 3 turned up, all of which I'd probably prefer to the one I got. Remember, none of it's important, so just treat it as a game.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-10-2020, 06:02 PM
speednjay

I think a zj would make a better trail beater. They seem a lil but tougher and more aftermarket. They Also have a v8 engine that isn’t a ticking time bomb
post #13 of 16 Old 08-11-2020, 03:02 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Never took to the ZJ somehow (but then, I don't think we got the V8) - however there's something in what you say & I suspect you're right.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-13-2020, 10:52 AM
smokeyyank

XJ FTW on a trail rig. I like the WJ for on road but doesn't compare to an XJ for trials. Aftermarket support is expensive, and dollar for dollar XJ is going to do more for less.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #15 of 16 Old 08-14-2020, 12:36 PM
speednjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
XJ FTW on a trail rig. I like the WJ for on road but doesn't compare to an XJ for trials. Aftermarket support is expensive, and dollar for dollar XJ is going to do more for less.
Good luck finding an driveable xj for under $4-5k. $500-1000 zjs can be had all day long

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in