Help Identifying Driver Side Mirror - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
deeefour
2004 WJ 

Help Identifying Driver Side Mirror

I'm working through a new-to-me '04 Limited WJ and am wondering if someone can explain what went wrong with the driver side mirror:

My rear-view mirror looks like it's the auto-dimming kind due to a wire coming down from the roof liner.

wjjeeps.com says if it was an auto-dimming side view mirror I would see "GNTX" etched in the bottom of the glass. I don't. I also don't see the little heat icon either:

Any idea what kind of mirror I've got or what might have happened to the lower third?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 01:17 PM
CJREX
2004 WJ 

I think this feature is on the Limited and the Overland?

Mine is the same way, though mine only covers maybe 1/8th of an inch at the bottom.

Basically, the Auto-Dimming uses a fluid that eventually fails and puddles in the bottom like that.

The only fix is to replace.

When I get around to it, I'm just going to go with a standard heated replacement.

I don't care for the auto-dimming enough to pay the extra $$ for it.

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
2" BDS springs 265/70/17 Milestar Patagonia MT
Kolak exhaust
post #3 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 01:56 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
I think you can pull just the mirror itself from a junk yard WJ. The easiest way to remove the mirror is to tilt the mirror top all the way forward, then pry up on the glass with a plastic scoche bar or trim tool. They pop right out. Replacement is the reverse of removal. It took me less than 2 minutes to do this job. That's with the removal of the mirror from the donor WJ.

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....

post #4 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 02:01 PM
JeepRonibo

2014 WK 

Most FCA dimming mirrors allow you to replace the glass only as Mattyjm described above.

2014 Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2008 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7L
2002 Chrysler 300m Special 3.5L
post #5 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 02:33 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post
I think you can pull just the mirror itself from a junk yard WJ. The easiest way to remove the mirror is to tilt the mirror top all the way forward, then pry up on the glass with a plastic scoche bar or trim tool. They pop right out. Replacement is the reverse of removal. It took me less than 2 minutes to do this job. That's with the removal of the mirror from the donor WJ.
Thank you for this, it will come in very handy when I install my blind spot camera over there. Coming soon to a forum near you ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #6 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 08:47 PM
jeepsterpitt
2001 WJ 

post #7 of 10 Old 06-09-2020, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
deeefour
2004 WJ 

Terribly sorry for the late reply on this one guys. I really appreciate the info and am in the process of sourcing a no-dim, just-heat replacement mirror.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-09-2020, 03:17 PM
CJREX
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeefour View Post
Terribly sorry for the late reply on this one guys. I really appreciate the info and am in the process of sourcing a no-dim, just-heat replacement mirror.
Don't buy a new mirror before you try this free fix.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...irror-3029273/

I had read somewhere that the auto dimming pane could be removed and then the mirror functions as a heated only mirror and I found this write-up.

Going to be doing this same thing to mine.

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
2" BDS springs 265/70/17 Milestar Patagonia MT
Kolak exhaust
post #9 of 10 Old 06-09-2020, 07:44 PM
Arjay
2004 WJ 

I had an auto-dim, heated mirror on my Overland. The heating element eventually burned a dark ring/circle into the mirror and I hate the auto-dim on the rear and side view mirrors, have had them both turned off for years. Just what I want at night, make the mirrors even harder to see through. I just bought a custom cut mirror glass only on ebay and bonded it right on top of the existing mirror. with silicone adhesive 6 years ago. Works perfectly and the mirror still looks oem
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600 (2).jpg  
post #10 of 10 Old 06-09-2020, 11:00 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

I took my original mirror apart to clean the goo out but my defrost was broken on that mirror so I ended up finding a set off a low mile 02 overland and swapped my mirrors and I was able to get the memory to work on the passenger mirror in my 04.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in