HELP 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 will not start - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-11-2021, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Laz-14

Wj HELP 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 will not start

Hi Jeep community I am hoping someone can help with this. For months now I've been having an issue with my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L where it does not consistently start. At 1st I thought it could be the starter, I changed that, it did not fix the issue. I thought it could be a bad battery although it was reading 12.7v, I went ahead and changed the battery either way thinking it could be a bad cell, and that seem to do it for about 6-weeks. Then the problem came back again, then I had an issue where the Jeep would stall in the middle of the road. I went ahead and replaced all of the battery wiring harness. That issue stopped, and was good for about 4-Months. Now the issue where the Jeep does not start is coming back, now to top it off no lights are coming on consistently. I have 2 good batteries that I'm testing with, one is reading 12.7 another 12.8v terminals have been cleaned, given is a 5-6 month old wiring harness, with new terminals. Also confirmed a tight connection on the Battery, Starter, and Wiring Harness. I honestly don't understand why the lights would not come on when the battery is good?

Things to note:
ECU computer was replaced 18 months ago, about 7,000 miles ago
Starter was changed 6 months ago about 4-5,000 miles ago
2-3month old battery reading 12.7v
checked starter & ignition pump relays, I did a swap with existing windshield wiper working relays to test this

Have not changed the Alternator, I don't think a bad alternator would prevent lights from coming on. In the past I have tested the alternator and it has been charging the battery telling me it was good.

Only thing I can think of being right now is, the ECU going out again, I'm not sure of any other relays or fuses check. What really throws me off on all of this is, why would no lights come on or door unlock with remote when wired up a Good Battery with new wiring harness. I'm trying to figure this one out 1st, before I continue to hunt down why the Jeep is not starting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-11-2021, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Laz-14

One thing I noticed today. I moved the Positive terminal a little bit, and noticed the lights come on. Then I went the Start it and is like the ignition switch killed the little spark that it had.

Then I moved the Positive terminal again and got the lights to come on again, then I moved the Ignition switch back, the center and then went to Start it and it turned on.

Does this sound like an Ignition switch problem? Or are my terminals just all around bad despite it being a fairly new Wiring Harness?

- Laz
post #3 of 7 Old 06-11-2021, 08:02 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Sounds like a bad connection at the battery posts.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

post #4 of 7 Old 06-11-2021, 09:04 PM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

I would take the alternator and bench test it. It may charge the battery but not always, or not keep steady current. But pull all your ground points on the fenders and firewall under the hood. Scuff pad them and reinstall tight. Look to make sure all of those wires look good as well.

Unhook the battery and leave it for 20-30 minutes to reset the computer. And I would pull the crank position sensor in the top of the tranny bell housing on the drivers side. You can see it right at the fire wall. clean it and inspect its wires then reinstall.

This system freaks out if there are spikes and drops in current or idle speed. If the computer reads too low on the power side or the fuel side it will use the auto shutdown relay to shut it down or put it in rough idle limp mode then no start after you turn the key off. The computer is trying to prevent catastrophic failure based on what it reads from the sensors. So if the sensors are all good then it is usually something causing current drain.

While you are at it, check the fuses in the kick plate under the dash on the drivers side. Check F26 blue 15amp and F9 20amp yellow (those are the ones for my 04) are they blown or still good?

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
'04 WJ
post #5 of 7 Old 06-12-2021, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Laz-14

thank you for you guys response, I’m going to change the terminals again just to rule that out, and buy a new Crank Shaft Position sensor, they’re $15 at AutoZone. I changed this about 3-4yrs ago. Maybe I should have gotten an OEM one then. If this works I’ll go back and spend $100 on the OEM MOPAR Crank Shaft Position sensor.

- Laz
post #6 of 7 Old 06-12-2021, 01:49 PM
ottoman89

I had an issue on my 02 GC with the 4.7 where it randomly wouldn't start. Recently replaced alternator, took the starter back (that was less than a year old) for a new one, and had put a new battery (warrantied that too) and changed battery connections and it still didn't fix the problem.

All the fuses where tested good.

Turns out that little clip you hook to the starter was getting bad, so I just snipped the clip and took the connection off the starter and hard wired it.. and that fixed the problem.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-19-2021, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Laz-14

just an update guys, I went ahead and replaced the battery terminals, checked all of my battery cable connections. After the battery terminals were replaced everything seemed to work just fine, it started right up. I've been driving it now for 3-days without any issues. I hope this is a long-term solution for the Jeep, I call it ole-faithful cause everytime one of my other cars broke down, BMWs, Infiniti, Mustang broke down, ole-faithful was always there to get me out of trouble; just sucks I've been having issues with it lately.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in