Have I destroyed my transfer case?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-10-2021, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Wjinnc

Have I destroyed my transfer case??

2004 jeep wj Laredo 4.0, np242, transfer, 2 1/2" lift
Truetrac in the Dana 35 rear
Stock Dana 30 front

Ok, I was on my 3 front drive shaft, c.v. joint boot failure and decided to go to a double cardan style drive shaft. For proper length for the drive shaft build I needed to install new front yoke on transfer case output.
I put transfer in low 4 per a video I watched, to keep output shaft from spinning. I broke the nut loose with a breaker bar with minimal effort, and removed with an impact gun.I then replaced old output shaft seal.Next I pulled cv yoke with a flywheel puller, again popped loose very easily, and installed new yoke just using my torque wrench and tightened to 95ft lbs.
90 to 130 ft lbs was recommended. After a refill of atf I tried to put in full time 4wd to spin yoke in seal. It then made a loud clunking noise. I put in 2wd and backed out of garage and tried again. I was moving in reverse when I shifted and it simply lost all motion and made a clicking sound. I immediately put back in 2wd and it goes fine.

Does the transfer case need feedback from driveshaft to engage?
Or did I screw something up?

The new driveshaft comes in Wednesday to test.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, wjinnc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-10-2021, 06:31 PM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

I'd say it sounds normal. I don't think it will move in full time if one of the driveshafts is removed. If you lock it in part time it should move fine and 2wd of course.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-10-2021, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Wjinnc

Yep, that's what is was. I thought I had done messed up. I took it down the road and put it in part time 4wd. It went right in. It did pop one time when I tested reverse. Thanks so much for the reply

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in