Harmonic balancer wobble - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 02-19-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
jdobe
2000 WJ 

Garage
Harmonic balancer wobble

Looking for a little advice. I changed out a leaking crank seal on my daughters 2000 GC 4.7 today its got 98k on it, went great while it was apart I replaced the balancer and noticed a wobble now not sure if there before never tought to look. What gives normal, bad balancer? everything seems fine, thinking put a few miles on it and retorque or order another balancer the new one is a Dorman maybe should of went factory?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-20-2018, 02:05 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Like you I've been debating on my 04 4.7 (non-HO) whether to go with aftermarket or a Mopar harmonic balancer when I get around to replacing my front crank seal?

In doing a search is seems like some new aftermarket ones have a wobble while others don't. And it didn't seem to matter whether it was a Dorman or other aftermarket brand since it's a case-by-case bases. Guess you just don't want it moving forward/backward which could be worse problems.

Figured I could always get a Mopar damper/balancer from Rockauto since saw them a month ago. Just checked and they're all gone and saw some selling on ebay for $100+.

Ended up just ordering the below Mopar 5302 0689AB balancer from Amazon for $86 w/free shipping. It's through Mopar Parts Direct as a 3rd party with delivery scheduled for Feb 29 - Mar 1.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...PHCMWZ58&psc=1

Hated to pay that much but hopefully no wobble. Just thought I'd pass this along and good luck.
apropes likes this.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #3 of 35 Old 02-20-2018, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
jdobe
2000 WJ 

Garage
Is there any wobble on the one that's on there now

post #4 of 35 Old 02-20-2018, 10:30 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

No, there's no wobble whatsoever on my current/old OE balancer and the belt tracks perfectly straight. I also installed a new Mopar water pump and new Mopar belt just a couple months ago.

I've read that sometimes a bad front crank seal can wear a slight groove in the balancer where it contacts then it can cause a new seal to leak. And when I bought my 04 4.7 six years ago w/74K miles I noticed the balancer was super rusted from road salt. Granted it will rust badly since it's cast steel but don't know if it's rust pitted around where it meets the seal?

When I bought my front seal from the dealer parts manager I've know for 20 years I almost bought a new Mopar balance but it was too much even with my 25% cuz discount. He said I may want to pull the balancer off first and see if it's grooved.

I don't really want to have everything torn apart then find the balancer is indeed grooved from the seal. And I really don't want a wobbling belt cause undo wear on my new water pump or other parts like power steering pump & alternator. Since these Mopar balancers are becoming harder to find that's the reason for just ordering one from Amazon.

Personally I'd change out that new Dorman balancer with the wobble. Try another or better yet go with Mopar. Good luck.

&
post #5 of 35 Old 02-20-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
jdobe
2000 WJ 

Garage
Just ordered a new balancer, seal and bolt from dealer $150. I was thinking I'd be able to reuse the old factory one after doing the seal and got the new one just in case it was worn like you said, there was no groove but the rubber was cracked from age.
Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 35 Old 02-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You're welcome and likely the best move, especially since it's your daughter's WJ.

Just curious if you were able to remove the balancer w/o removing the rad and other parts? Know my 04 4.7 is a little different since I have the hydraulic fan while you don't. I'm going to remove the fan assembly since I have a leaking hose on it anyhow. And bought a compact damper puller so hopefully I can just leave all the other parts in place.

&
post #7 of 35 Old 02-20-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
jdobe
2000 WJ 

Garage
I also bought the compact puller and a longer bolt to get the balancer started, I didn't remove anything it was a little challenging getting the puller on but after that no problems the 130lb torque is kind off tough I put a bar through the balancer and I'm thinking maybe thats what messed it up.
The puller came with a holder but I wasn't having much luck with it, I'm going to give that another shot or look to see if I can hold the flywheel.
The Jeep has both a mechanical fan and an electric one. I don't get the two fans? Sounds badass she said she gets alot of looks if somebody's near it when she starts it in the school parking. LOL
Full discloser I have a drive on lift that I used. I wasn't on my back.
post #8 of 35 Old 02-20-2018, 06:39 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Thanks for the info and good to know you didn't have to remove the rad or any other parts. Yeah, I don't think you want to put a bar through the balancer to hold the crank in place while torquing the bolt. I too am going to try to wedge something against the flywheel/ring gear to lock it in place. Hate to remove the starter to do this but don't see any other way? I've heard of some who wedge something between balancer and engine but would think it still may turn?

Believe your electric fan is used to help cool everything down when it's hot out and the AC is on. In fact I bet if up to normal operating temps and you kick the AC on high you'll see the electric fan start running.

You're pretty lucky you have a lift available to work on it. Not good conditions here working outside in my gravel drive out in front of the basement on cardboard. Lol.

&
post #9 of 35 Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Here's a tool that lets someone else hold the flywheel while you tighten balancer bolt: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FN7JE2/

It's also handy for turning the engine when you need to unbolt the torque converter.
post #10 of 35 Old 02-21-2018, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
jdobe
2000 WJ 

Garage
I've seen those and always been to cheap to buy one! It might be time thanks for the link.
post #11 of 35 Old 02-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Thanks for the tool link Harry. Maybe you can answer a question I couldn't find an answer for in a search. Also couldn't find any videos using a flywheel turner tool like that Lisle.

Isn't that tool placed inline on the teeth of ring-gear for turning or holding the flywheel? And since most auto transmissions have the bell housing covering the whole flywheel/ring-gear where do you find access for using that tool? Haven't looked at my 545RFE trans but most just have the inspection plate on the front where the ring-gear is recessed. Thanks!

&
post #12 of 35 Old 02-21-2018, 01:38 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

That inspection cover gets removed and then you have access.
post #13 of 35 Old 02-21-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
jdobe
2000 WJ 

Garage
Ok, update just got done removing and replacing the seal,balancer and a new bolt from dealer. I was able to use the plate that came with the puller it fits inside the the pully then you hold it with a 1/2 rachet or breaker bar. I didn't see any inspection plate for the flywheel it went smoother the second time. But same result what gives?? I'm not going to worry about it I'll keep an eye on the seal and see if it start leaking.
post #14 of 35 Old 02-21-2018, 07:09 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That's a shame jdobe and have no idea why even a new Mopar balancer would have a wobble? Haven't seen or heard that before with OE. I would think even if the front of the crank wasn't perfectly straight as tight as the balancer fits on the shaft with new key there wouldn't be any room for side-to-side movement. You don't see any other pulleys or idlers which may be out of align do you?

I was looking for photos of the front bell-housing or inspection plate for the 545RFE but couldn't find any. Then found the below inspection plate on ebay for the 02. Didn't realize it was so large, hopefully it's for the front, and now I see what Harry was saying that's how you get that flywheel tool on there. Thanks Harry.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2002-Jeep-Gra...-/222658732453

My compact puller below didn't come with a plate you can put a 1/2" wrench on. So may have to go with the flywheel turner tool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

&
post #15 of 35 Old 02-22-2018, 08:21 AM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

I'm going to be replacing a Dorman balancer that I installed quite some time back on my wife's WJ this spring. My reason for replacing it is that I've had a constant vibration since install, and while it hasn't caused any issues it is rather annoying. As some have noted, there is a bit of a wobble associated with the outer ring, although the inner portion where the belt rides doesn't display any abnormal behavior.

Anyway, when I did the install I had the radiator removed and the entire front end pulled off the Jeep as I was also doing some other work, including motor mounts. Access wasn't an issue obviously but this time I don't want to remove more than necessary since I'm just wanting to replace the balancer and seal and call it good.

What compact puller tool are you guys using?

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
This is easily the worst post, and thread, I have ever seen in 7 years of being on JF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in