Griffen Combo radiator/ fan, relay or factory wiring? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-17-2021, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Nkmaynard

Garage
Griffen Combo radiator/ fan, relay or factory wiring?

I just bit the bullet and installed a Griffen Combo radiator in my 2000 WJ 4.0. Should I just power the aftermarket fan with the factory fan circuit or install a relay? Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-20-2021, 06:16 AM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

I think the factory wiring already has a relay.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-22-2021, 01:38 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

I’ve had a Griffin Radiator in my Fox body Mustang for 25yrs. I always use distilled water and antifreeze concentrate and there’s no sign of any corrosion etc at all after this long. Good purchase.

'02 HO 235k ml. BDS, tubular arms, Addco sways. 245-70-17. Amsoil. W1CCW WRKi761

post #4 of 6 Old 07-22-2021, 06:04 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
screw the factory relay. (leave it hooked up, but don't connect it to any fan) get a new power source, and run a stand alone relay. solder your terminals, and run some large gauge wires (10 gauge strand). get a decent ground as well. stay far, far away from the factory garbage.

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #5 of 6 Old 07-23-2021, 10:57 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

One thing I’ve learned about Jeep’s are you can count on the factory wiring / electrical system to fail badly sooner or later. Mechanically they seem quite good but man did they cut corners on electron delivery.

'02 HO 235k ml. BDS, tubular arms, Addco sways. 245-70-17. Amsoil. W1CCW WRKi761
post #6 of 6 Old 07-25-2021, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Nkmaynard

Garage
Thanks. I really needed to move my WJ so I hooked up the new assembly to the existing factory wiring and took it for a short test drive. It all works great while in motion but while sitting, starts getting hot. Very hot. The fan is turning on but obviously not moving enough air to keep it cool. While replacing the rad/fan, I replaced the water pump with a FlowKooler unit as well as the thermostat, and all new 50/50 antifreeze. I was concerned that the factory system might vary electron flow to adjust fan speed, adding variables to the equation. My opinion (generally) is that if the fan needs to be on, it should be full speed. I am in the process of investing enough in my WJ to have bought a very nice Rubicon but it has been in the family for a long time and has sentimental value. My 2 year old grandson has already claimed it as his, making it a four generation WJ when he gets it. I installed a 3" IRO premium lift with fully adjustable control arms, all new front end component/hubs, front shift, Bilsteins. THANKS KOLAK FOR THE ADVICE!!. RUNS AND DRIVES GREAT! It is solid but no where near as harsh as factory. No vibration. Added cutout flares, 33" tires on 17" wheels and Corbeau heated seats cause "if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy". I also installed a Trail Ready front bumper and Smittybilt 10k winch.. So far I am very happy. It did very well at Moab this past spring but sprung a rad leak aftet i got home so I figured I would invest in some premium cooling. Next planned to replace the 300,000 mile motor, trans, transfer case. Would like to add lockers afterwards. Like I said, could have just bought a Rubicon but everyone has one of them, these days!

I will break away from the factory system and install separate relay for fan control. I need to get it cooling properly for next spring, back in Moab!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in